Powerscore LGB Bible Not Registering Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
it'sjustme

New

Powerscore LGB Bible Not Registering

Post by it'sjustme » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Like the title states, the Logic Games Bible from Powerscore is not "clicking" with me. I went over the Bible last July-August, and I don't remember having such a difficult time going through it. I think I am able to grasp the concepts, but the length of time Powerscore takes to make their point seems painstakingly long.

Anyway, I ordered the Manhattan Logic Games book earlier this evening; hopefully, I will have better success with this one.

Anybody have an experience switching from the Powerscore Logic Games Bible to the Manhattan Logic Games book? Or have similar difficulty with the Powerscore Logic Games Bible?

it'sjustme

New

Re: Powerscore LGB Bible Not Registering

Post by it'sjustme » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Noticed I put "LGB Bible" in the title...kinda redundant. :oops:

collegebum1989

Bronze

Post by collegebum1989 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Can't say that I've experienced this for LG, but definitely for LR...which coincidentally is my weaker section.

The LRB was very very precise, but didn't work for me because I wasn't strong in the LR to begin with, and felt that the LRB techniques were "too complex" for me. Anyway, Manhattan LR did a better job "dumbing down" their approach which made it more successful for me.

Just try out both and see which one works best for you! It all depends on how you think and approach questions.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:56 pm

it's a good guide. Relax and take your time with it, and everything will come. You may have to go through the book twice, btu it's worth it. Manhattan beats LGB on in-and-out games. For ordering games it teaches the "tree method", which should be instinctive to most reasonably intelligent test-takers anyways. It was to me, which is why ordering never stumped me. Other than that, the LGB is the best guide. For RC, Manhattan is the best, while LRB gets the edge over Manhattan LR.

it'sjustme

New

Post by it'sjustme » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:06 pm

collegebum1989 wrote:Can't say that I've experienced this for LG, but definitely for LR...which coincidentally is my weaker section.

The LRB was very very precise, but didn't work for me because I wasn't strong in the LR to begin with, and felt that the LRB techniques were "too complex" for me. Anyway, Manhattan LR did a better job "dumbing down" their approach which made it more successful for me.

Just try out both and see which one works best for you! It all depends on how you think and approach questions.
Complete opposite for me on the Logical Reasoning Bible - that is my "strong" section, so I am doing well with it thus far.

Thank you for your response. I would love to give both a try.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

it'sjustme

New

Post by it'sjustme » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:08 pm

PDaddy wrote:it's a good guide. Relax and take your time with it, and everything will come. You may have to go through the book twice, btu it's worth it. Manhattan beats LGB on in-and-out games. For ordering games it teaches the "tree method", which should be instinctive to most reasonably intelligent test-takers anyways. It was to me, which is why ordering never stumped me. Other than that, the LGB is the best guide. For RC, Manhattan is the best, while LRB gets the edge over Manhattan LR.
Thank you for your response.

After reading the chapter on basic linear games, which should be fairly non-challenging, I felt incompetent when trying out the concepts in basic linear games.

I will definitely give it another shot, tomorrow.

MLBrandow

Bronze

Post by MLBrandow » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:15 pm

it'sjustme wrote:Like the title states, the Logic Games Bible from Powerscore is not "clicking" with me. I went over the Bible last July-August, and I don't remember having such a difficult time going through it. I think I am able to grasp the concepts, but the length of time Powerscore takes to make their point seems painstakingly long.

Anyway, I ordered the Manhattan Logic Games book earlier this evening; hopefully, I will have better success with this one.

Anybody have an experience switching from the Powerscore Logic Games Bible to the Manhattan Logic Games book? Or have similar difficulty with the Powerscore Logic Games Bible?
it'sjustme,

Your problem may be your lack of practice with actual logic games. Have you been supplementing your book prep with actual logic games? The best way to learn and master games is to actually do games, not read someone telling you how to do games. You can be taught how to think, but at the end of the day, David Killoran isn't taking your LSAT, you are.

You might consider drilling games by type, and using the LG bible as a reference, rather than as the focus of your games preparation. Switching to Manhattan's guide is unlikely to yield different results unless you change your focus on actual games, rather than only strategies for those games. You must apply the strategies for them to begin to click.

If you still find yourself struggling, I would be happy to offer some help.

Good luck!

it'sjustme

New

Post by it'sjustme » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:29 pm

MLBrandow wrote:
it'sjustme wrote:Like the title states, the Logic Games Bible from Powerscore is not "clicking" with me. I went over the Bible last July-August, and I don't remember having such a difficult time going through it. I think I am able to grasp the concepts, but the length of time Powerscore takes to make their point seems painstakingly long.

it'sjustme,

Your problem may be your lack of practice with actual logic games. Have you been supplementing your book prep with actual logic games? The best way to learn and master games is to actually do games, not read someone telling you how to do games. You can be taught how to think, but at the end of the day, David Killoran isn't taking your LSAT, you are.

You might consider drilling games by type, and using the LG bible as a reference, rather than as the focus of your games preparation. Switching to Manhattan's guide is unlikely to yield different results unless you change your focus on actual games, rather than only strategies for those games. You must apply the strategies for them to begin to click.

If you still find yourself struggling, I would be happy to offer some help.

Good luck!

I was attempting one of the basic linear games after reading the chapter, and felt completely overwhelmed. I read the entire chapter, but it's as if I did not read it at all. I do not have a problem with complex material, usually, so this came as a bit of a shock. I went into a bad habit when the game seemed to be too difficult - trying every single choice, and seeing if it worked. I ended up going 5/5 on that game in about eight minutes, but I know that is not how I should be completing the game.

it'sjustme

New

Post by it'sjustme » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:49 pm

I found this review online along with her LGB review, and it (along with other reviews) made me make the purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A2 ... _cr_pr_pdp

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:59 pm

I liked pithypike's approach to the LGB. I made photo-copies of all the LG drills and the actual section-end questions.

OP I didn't really start to grasp the concepts until I started really working the drills.

it'sjustme

New

Post by it'sjustme » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:08 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:I liked pithypike's approach to the LGB. I made photo-copies of all the LG drills and the actual section-end questions.

OP I didn't really start to grasp the concepts until I started really working the drills.

Did you go through the LGB more than once? I seemed to do fine with the drills; when it came time to apply them to the games it fell apart.

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:15 pm

I would do 8 games a day. 4 old ones and 4 new ones, giving at least 24-48 hours between repeats. Doing the repeat ones was really important. The concepts tended to sink in better for me when I wasn't constantly trying to apply a bunch of stuff I had just learned all at once.

When you repeat old problems, you build up your familiarity with each concept one at a time, and you also gain confidence in your ability to execute based on what you've learned.

edit: No I didn't go through the whole thing more than once. Repeated some game types that I was weak on though in the weeks leading up to test day.

it'sjustme

New

Post by it'sjustme » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:21 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:I would do 8 games a day. 4 old ones and 4 new ones, giving at least 24-48 hours between repeats. Doing the repeat ones was really important. The concepts tended to sink in better for me when I wasn't constantly trying to apply a bunch of stuff I had just learned all at once.

When you repeat old problems, you build up your familiarity with each concept one at a time, and you also gain confidence in your ability to execute based on what you've learned.

edit: No I didn't go through the whole thing more than once. Repeated some game types that I was weak on though in the weeks leading up to test day.
Thank you.

I was going to save tests 50-61 for full-length practice tests. Should I perform the games out of these tests? I have the first book of prep tests, 19-38, and 45-61.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:26 pm

it'sjustme wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:I would do 8 games a day. 4 old ones and 4 new ones, giving at least 24-48 hours between repeats. Doing the repeat ones was really important. The concepts tended to sink in better for me when I wasn't constantly trying to apply a bunch of stuff I had just learned all at once.

Thank you.

I was going to save tests 50-61 for full-length practice tests. Should I perform the games out of these tests? I have the first book of prep tests, 19-38, and 45-61.
No stick to your plan. LG got easier and RC got harder from PT 1 thru current. Drill the old LGs and leave your newest 20 or whatever exams intact. MAKE PHOTOCOPIES so you can do clean repeats.

it'sjustme

New

Post by it'sjustme » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:27 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:
it'sjustme wrote:

Thank you.

No stick to your plan. LG got easier and RC got harder from PT 1 thru current. Drill the old LGs and leave your newest 20 or whatever exams intact. MAKE PHOTOCOPIES so you can do clean repeats.
Great, thanks again.

Would you recommend cancelling the order of the Manhattan LG book, and sticking to Powerscore?

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:30 pm

it'sjustme wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:
it'sjustme wrote:

Thank you.

Great, thanks again.

Would you recommend cancelling the order of the Manhattan LG book, and sticking to Powerscore?
I dunno anything about Manhattan so I won't speak to it either way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”