For you 170+ scorers out there....

enigmabk

For you 170+ scorers out there....

Postby enigmabk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:16 pm

1. Which section is your most difficult? (Elaborate please)

2. Do you finish sections all sections with considerable time left over and/or double check?

3. Does exhaustion/ stamina seem to be an issue at all?

Thanks.

chem

Re: For you 170+ scorers out there....

Postby chem » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:25 pm

enigmabk wrote:1. Which section is your most difficult? (Elaborate please)

2. Do you finish sections all sections with considerable time left over and/or double check?

Thanks.

1) Logical reasoning, and thats where the answer to number 3 comes in. It was hard to balance second guessing myself and taking too much time on a question and just putting down what the right answer appeared to be and moving on. Also, by the 20th question, I definitely started getting a little concerned about my answers, as my reasoning for one question seemed to contradict another

2) All sections had plenty of time left over but the games. Games I always finished with about a minute to spare. Its important to take time with them though, because if you do its a guarunteed perfect section

QuincyWagstaff

Postby QuincyWagstaff » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:29 pm

1) RC- Passages would bore me, and my mind would wander.
2) All except RC, on which I had only 2-3 minutes remaining, I think.
3) Boredom was an issue during PTs, and I sometimes mistook that for a lack of endurance, but stamina was never a problem on the real thing.

R86

Postby R86 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:36 pm

:D
Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dooood

Postby dooood » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Logic games are initially the hardest, no question. But, there are basically six or seven diagram types that will work for any game (with slight variations), so you can master this section with enough work. The difference-maker is being able to identify immediately upon reading an LG prompt which game format is going to be triggered. The games then get to be mechanical and can almost be fun (you have to convince yourself for them to be bearable).
Halfway through my study process I began to crush games, and then RC became the hardest section for me.

enigmabk

Postby enigmabk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:18 pm

dooood wrote:Logic games are initially the hardest, no question. But, there are basically six or seven diagram types that will work for any game (with slight variations), so you can master this section with enough work. The difference-maker is being able to identify immediately upon reading an LG prompt which game format is going to be triggered. The games then get to be mechanical and can almost be fun (you have to convince yourself for them to be bearable).
Halfway through my study process I began to crush games, and then RC became the hardest section for me.

agreed, lg is usually the easiest section for most high scorers while RC seems to be the hardest to improve on ( or for me at least).

however i do fear that the rare/extremely type of difficult game might come up during the june test, such as the infamous dinosaurs game or some of the extremely unusual LGS from the early Ptestss (1-20)

enigmabk

Postby enigmabk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:21 pm

R86 wrote:1. Logic Games. Never quite learned the different types or how to diagram. Brute forced through and guessed on the last three questions of the last game.

2. Tons of time left on the other sections. Double checked the odd questions.

3. It really wasn't for me. Took the February test, which starting bright and early in the morning, but I never felt tired, frustrated, or worn out in the least.

This probably doesn't help at all. Only advice I can offer is to learn the games. My only regret with this process is thinking I was smart enough not to put the time into learning the different types.

its okay, im looking more for certain common trends among 170+ scorers as opposed to seeking help.
Im trying to get a rough idea of how some of these scorers have their points distributed throughout the 3 section typees among other things ( stamina, time, etc)

to answer my own survey question

1. my most difficult section is probably RC, occasionally i get a rather difficult game (pretty rare though)

2. I finish with usually 5 minutes left over for all the sections except LG, where i use up all my time.

3. exhaustion /stamina plays a factor for me except in RC

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:54 pm

1. Started with LR, but finished with RC. I felt RC was tougher to master.

2. Only on games

3. No

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:02 am

1) LG was by far the section I was initially worst at. RC was probably my most inconsistent section towards the end of my studying.

2) Only LR.

3) No. It might have been an issue very early on, but if you do enough questions and you practice with enough 5 section PT's, then it shouldn't be an issue for most people.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks.

I don't usually find reading comp difficult but it was my worst on the real test.

I ran out of time on logic games sometimes but the others i often had time left over

To some extent during my practice tests but mostly just if reading comp was last. On the real time the stress helped me stay focused till the end.

ksinghal

Postby ksinghal » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:02 am

Thanks.

1. Reading comp is the most difficult for me on an actual test. I've hit 180 3 times on practice tests, but on every real test I've taken I've gotten reading comp last, and by that time I get tired and more prone to careless errors. The difficulty is not in reading the passages - I mentally recap each paragraph as I read, and then I phrase "main point" and "primary purpose" sentences before going to the questions - rather, the difficulty for me lies in unexpected answer choices where I have to sift back through a paragraph to ensure that the wording really is justified, etc. Generally, though, the 3-4 I'll miss on RC are careless errors in answer choices such as hasty reading, rather than anything else.

2. I have done all 276 logic games timed, and I have never missed a question. I usually knock out a section of LG in 20 minutes, LR in 29, and RC in 33-35. My strategy on LR is to get through #1-10, go back and confirm my answers, take a breath, and then move on. After #25, I come back to #11 and confirm my answers. Usually there is a question or two where I choose to spend the remaining several minutes ruling out every other answer choice conclusively because of difficulty or my perceived ambiguity in wording.

3. See #1, only on RC and evidently only when I'm doing it at 1:00 p.m. after having been on adrenaline max since 8:00 a.m. As another poster mentioned, boredom is the main killer for me. I try to make RC interesting, but LR tends to be excruciatingly boring for me on an actual test.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:35 am

Thanks.

1. RC. All the other sections are rather mechanical (yes, LR is mechanical after awhile), and you can be 100% sure of your answer if you understand the stimulus. While that's true of the vast majority of RC questions, every once in awhile one will pop up that you won't feel 100% on.

2. When I took the exam, I had about 3 minutes left to go back over questions on each section.

3. Nope. I was taking 2 PTs a day when I was studying, though, so game day was a walk in the park.

soj

Postby soj » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:45 pm

1. RC at first because I had poor reading habits and my mind kept wandering when I read difficult passages. After a while, I got better at RC and LR became my toughest and least favorite section.

2. I usually had .5 to 3 minutes to check over LR or RC, and 2 to 5 minutes to check over LG.

3. Yes, especially my second LR section on the day of the exam. And this despite doing 5-section PTs 3-4 times a week for months before the exam. Definitely do 5-section (and, if you have the time to do it and review thoroughly, 6-section) PTs.

yankees42789

Postby yankees42789 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks.

1. LR. I found it to be the most mentally taxing as you have to read incredibly carefully and I found more tempting wrong answers in LR than in the other sections. For most of my preptests, I would generally get 75+% of my misses on LR, but eventually was able to cut down on that due to repetition and familiarity with the kind of arguments and answers that are frequently correct in LR sections.

2. Yes, particularly for LGs where I'd usually have plenty of time to go back and review any questions I had doubts about (though actually I wound up going slower than usual on test day). For LR and RC, I'd generally finish a few minutes early and rarely (if ever) felt time pressured (though the amount of leftover time would vary from section to section).

3. Not really. I actually took fewer pretests than most top scorers and instead focused a lot on drilling. I actually took predominantly four section PTs, which probably isn't advisable, but worked for me. But I'd definitely recommend taking enough PTs so that you get yourself mentally prepared for how long and grueling the test is. My #1 LSAT tip would just be to practice a lot. I don't know if it's like this for everybody, but there came a point where I was able to anticipate arguments, answer types, the kinds of things asked about in passages, etc. which really was the key to being able to work efficiently and score well consistently.

over9000

Postby over9000 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:28 pm

RC but only because I didn't prep as hard for this section as compared to LR and LG

It really depends. February LSAT I finished LG with 5 minutes left but I ran out of time in one LR section and had to guess.

Not after doing 50+ full, strictly timed prep tests.
Thanks.

sums

Postby sums » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks.

1. I always struggled with RC because I'm like super ADD when it comes to tests (or anything academic really haha)

2. I always finished the LR with 5-8 min left and the LG with probably 2-4 min left. And NOO I didn't double check hahah. I literally laid my head down and daydreamed happy thought for a few minutes hahaha

3. YES!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness especially section 3 (right before break) and section 5 (the last one). I'd always be like -1, -0, -4, -1, -0, -3 haha or something similar. Before I took a zillion practice tests my sections 3 and 5 would be -9 or so, no joke.

josh43299

Postby josh43299 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks.

1. Started as LG, then RC

2. Everything but RC

3. I would say my issue was more of my nerves. I would recommend that when you do a PT, often make your experimental section the one you hate the most. I got an RC section, which I confidently finished about 3 minutes early, then flipped the page to see another RC section. I was devastated by this for some reason and fought to focus. I ended up with a (-7) on RC and thankfully did really well on the other sections. Never neglect a section when you study... I was consistently in the 176-178 range on my PT's and fucked myself by feeling secure in my RC abilities. An important thing to ask yourself is, "What would affect my psychology while taking the LSAT and in what way?"

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”