how to study now?

collegebum1989

how to study now?

Postby collegebum1989 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:11 pm

I read the Bibles in December/January, focused on individual sections in most of January, and did the Cambridge Drill By Types in February/March. After all of this, my score went up from 154 to 161. I'd say this was a good improvement as I used to get distracted during sections and now have good pacing and will be able to carry throughout the section. However, in terms of getting questions right, it hasn't helped much.

I want to be able to break 170, but I'm not sure how to proceed from now until June. I took 3 practice tests in the last two weeks and it doesn't seem like I'm getting a particular type of question wrong but getting questions wrong by difficulty.

I'm doing well on LG, but usually will get questions wrong because of carelessness.
For RC, I perform poorly because of ONE passage where I get 3-4 wrong, but well on all the others.
For LR, I seem to get different types of questions wrong, but particularly in the end of the section. I miss 1-2 in the beginning, almost none in the middle, and 5-6 at the end.

Not sure how to study from here on out. I have all the PrepTests (1-65). Should I do section drills and drill individual question types as I go along? For now, I've just been going through Cambridge By Type questions one-by-one.

Thanks for the help!

Mr. Somebody

Re: how to study now?

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:13 pm

Which LR types are you having trouble with?

Sounds like with LR you're having a timing issue at the end?

Keep drilling LG and you shouldn't make careless mistakes.

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:37 pm

MBT/MSS and Assumption (sufficient and necessary), Principle, Strengthen, Weaken.

The other types I get wrong are usually because of a really difficult stimulus or misreading. Basically, I do well with easier stimuli, but when they're really dense, I have difficulty with them.

Timing doesn't seem like the issue, since I've been taking untimed PTs. The questions at the end just tend of have longer stimuli, and more complicated logic. I think with the fatigue and my trouble with the complex stimuli, I get more of them wrong.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:47 pm

collegebum1989 wrote:MBT/MSS and Assumption (sufficient and necessary), Principle, Strengthen, Weaken.

The other types I get wrong are usually because of a really difficult stimulus or misreading. Basically, I do well with easier stimuli, but when they're really dense, I have difficulty with them.

Timing doesn't seem like the issue, since I've been taking untimed PTs. The questions at the end just tend of have longer stimuli, and more complicated logic. I think with the fatigue and my trouble with the complex stimuli, I get more of them wrong.

with these question types I find and underline the conclusionary sentence and main premise.
For assumptions a lot of the time the answer is a rewording of the argument, but it is never a restatment of the argument.
When you go through the questions ask yourself "is this true?"
If you have to overthink it then it's not the answer.

For strenghten and weaken, find the single conclusionary sentence and underline it. Then for each answer choice ask yourself "does this strengthen/weak the conclusionary sentence?"

If I were you I would go through and do around 5-10 of each of these questions types real slow on top of your normal routine.

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks for the tips Mr. Pancakes.

My new study approach is to do section drills using preptest 20-40, and taking weekly timed exams using preptests 40-65. In addition, I will dedicate new day a week reviewing and drilling problematic question types.

How does this sound? I felt that just drilling using Question By Type isn't helping me anymore, because I feel like getting questions wrong due to fatigue or careless from not being accustomed to the flow of a section. Like doing 25 of one question type vs. one LR section.

I did some section drills last two days and significantly improved my score (160->168). But this was under untimed conditions. When would be a good time to start doing timed sections?

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:48 pm

So far in this thread you have stated you have missed questions due to carelessness and misreading questions, this is definitely something to keep an eye on since it is not really a quick fix. No advice along the lines of "make sure you read the whole question and all the answers" will help, because presumably you are trying to do that anyway. There are habits you can get into though, such as circling the words "NOT" and "EXCEPT" whenever you see them. Hopefully, simply with more practice and better recognition of what question type the LSAT with throw at you the careless errors will decrease naturally.

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:22 pm

I definitely agree with the statement about making careless mistakes as this has always been a a problem for me even beyond the LSAT.

I've noticed that the majority of the questions I get incorrect are usually the more difficult question where subtle word changes can cause the answer choice to be incorrect or out of scope. When reviewing I find that once I already know what the right answer is, I usually know why and am able to develop a reasoning as to why it is so.

Is there any way to better prepare for these difficult questions. They don't seem to be a particular type. Maybe drill only the most difficult questions by type?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:28 pm

It sounds like you second guess yourself on the more difficult questions, regardless of type. This exercize should help you. I would go through each question type until you master it. I would also suggest that you practice identifying wrong answers and write down the specific reasons that they are wrong. If you do this, it will help you identify wrong answers more quickly and give you the confidence you need to move on and not look back.

If you are using Cambridge materials, you are in a good place. For RC, use Manhattan. For LG, PowerScore is best, except for ordering and in-and-out games. And of course PowerScore is best for LR.

Look at this link and go to my post on page-1. There are many materials that can help you better organize your study so that you get the drills you need (i.e. drills tailored to your weaknesses).

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=181108&p=5347255#p5347255

Also see Pithypike's study guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks for the help! Sounds like a great exercise, I'll definitely try this with all of the questions I get incorrect.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”