Is there a limit to how many highlighters...

kakaa001

Is there a limit to how many highlighters...

Postby kakaa001 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:57 am

Is there a limit to how many highlighters you can bring to the LSAT??

Geetar Man

Re: Is there a limit to how many highlighters...

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:00 pm

kakaa001 wrote:Is there a limit to how many highlighters you can bring to the LSAT??

LSAC implicates only 1 is allowed.

LSAC wrote:Items Allowed in the Test Room
Test takers may bring into the test room only a clear plastic ziplock bag, maximum size one gallon (3.79 liter), which must be stored under the chair and may be accessed only during the break. The sealed ziplock bag may contain only the following items: valid ID; wallet; keys; analog (nondigital) wristwatch; medical or hygiene products; #2 or HB wooden pencils, a highlighter, erasers, pencil sharpener (no mechanical pencils); tissues; and beverage in plastic container or juice box (20 oz./591 ml maximum size) and snack for break only. No aluminum cans permitted. All items must fit in the ziplock bag such that the bag can be sealed.

How many are you trying to bring? Sheesh. I'm not bringing any. I'll probably bring like 10 pencils though.

kakaa001

Postby kakaa001 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks for looking into this!

I wanted to bring at least two. I find it useful for diagramming LR to use a different highlighter for each premise (if multiple premises are present) and the conclusion.

I'll train myself to use only one.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:33 pm

To each his own, but the general consensus is you're better off with no highlighter

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:34 pm

kakaa001 wrote:Thanks for looking into this!

I wanted to bring at least two. I find it useful for diagramming LR to use a different highlighter for each premise (if multiple premises are present) and the conclusion.

Aren't there two-in-one highlighters?

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:46 pm

Try underlining the sub conclusions, braketing the conclusions with a pencil.

I bet if you practice this, you'll get better.

For me, I just circle (with a pencil) the conclusion. The highlighter just seems like its wasting valuable time since you have to switch to a pencil to bubble in your answer choice.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:05 pm

I would not use a highlighter in LR. may use it in to draw a nice set-up in Game....I wish I could use a ruler instead of a highlighter though... :lol:

kakaa001

Postby kakaa001 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:32 pm

lovejopd wrote:I would not use a highlighter in LR. may use it in to draw a nice set-up in Game....I wish I could use a ruler instead of a highlighter though... :lol:

I do use it to draw the set-up/schedule/whatever the hell the prompt asks for in LG. Definitely useful and a good use of time instead of drawing 15 setups per problem set.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:39 pm

I don't know where you are learning these techniques but this sounds like a horrible waste of time. You don't need to identify multiply premises to properly diagnose what is being said. For most questions the most important thing to find is the conclusionary statement and the main sentence that explains why this is the conclusion. After you do this then you should have a full understanding of the argument. This works great for almost all question types. Maybe that's what you are doing but you just worded it differently. I don't know why a simple underline wouldn't work.
but like what was said before, to each his own.

pizzabrosauce

Postby pizzabrosauce » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:33 pm

I've brought multiple highlighters, nobody cared

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:37 pm

I never have really found highlighters helpful throughout my academic career. Always felt like I was missing something......

Though one time I had to write really small on a note card and the only way I could tell one line apart from another was to highlight every other...then it was useful

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”