Study log for June test, shooting for a 165

dborne1

Study log for June test, shooting for a 165

Postby dborne1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:18 am

Hello everyone, I'm new to the boards and I feel like logging my studying and progress will help me boost my scores. I'm taking the LSAT in June, and really need a decent score because my UGPA is a horrifying 2.9.

So, tonight which is 3/19, I took my first timed diagnostic, with no studying. My cold score was 153, which is far lower than I had hoped for working off talent alone. This score is really getting me into the studying mode because a 153 and a 2.9 won't get me into any schools that I'd like to attend. I got -8 and -2 on LR, -12 on LG, and -13 on RC. What is scaring me is the RC because I thought that reading was a major strength of mine and I've read that it is hard to raise that score.

It should be noted that I am prescribed adder all and I took 20mg before the test began. I believe that adder all is helping me on the LG but hurting me on RC and will take a timed PT on Thursday without adderall to test this theory,

After the PT I went up to page 80 in the LG bible, and did some exercises, but feel like I am always missing some parts of the setup, especially a lot of missing Not Laws. After about 6 hours of studying I'm putting down the books, I actually just turned 23 seventeen minutes ago so I'm gonna have a beer.

Since tomorrow is my birthday I'll be taking the day off, but will return to log more studying on Thursday the 21st. Any advice for studying LG and RC would be appreciated even though this is more of a personal study and progress log, and thanks for reading.

Danny

tronimrich

Re: Study log for June test, shooting for a 165

Postby tronimrich » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:47 am

Keep practicing. Recognizing and correctly diagramming Not Laws takes a lot of repetition. Soon, at least this has been the case for me, diagramming and recognition of not laws / other inferences has became a lot easier a couple weeks into my schedule. Keep practicing, and keep your head up.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:37 pm

You're in luck that if you really put your mind to it, you can probably make that -12 on LG to a -0 to -3...

I think anyone can improve on LG substantially with enough practice and developing methods for attacking each type of game...

Unfortunately, i think the opposite of RC... It's my weakness too :(

But just practice practice practice.

Get the Powerscore Bibles or Manhattan (definitely Manhattan for RC)

Good luck :)

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:46 pm

Hey! I have also just started studying for the June LSAT and am awaiting my powerscore books in the mail.
I have "10 Actual, Official, blah blah blah" and have been doing diagnostics in that.
If you want to talk questions or anything like that let me know, I feel like I have a good intuition about these types of questions since I have been good at logic games and puzzles my whole life. RC seems to be my weakness now too, which is ironic since I was an English major and tutor RC for the SAT, but it's just difficult to fully get a grasp on each passage within the 35 minutes.

My cold score was 167 and then after going over every problem I missed (since it's the only prep book I have at the moment) I scored a 171 the next day on another diagnostic. I'm not sure if I can significantly improve my score, but I will definitely try!

I'm trying to study for at least 2 hours everyday until June, fun stuff!

dborne1

Postby dborne1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:40 am

3/23 update

Been studying the logic games bible, I really hope that the diagramming will get easier. I signed up for the Kaplan course at my school (hofstra) because I think an in class discussion will help me more than just reading.

I took another RC section today, and went up from -13 to -9, which is really encouraging. I also finished with like 6 minutes left, so I'm sure I can do even better by taking my time on that section. Does anyone else feel like they rush through RC too much?

Anyway thanks for the responses and encouragement, and I'll keep this log going till June

twenty

Postby twenty » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:03 pm

See if you can get your money back from Kaplan. The TLS consensus is that Powerscore, Testmasters and Blueprint are all far superior to Kaplan.

dborne1

Postby dborne1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks twentypercentmore

actually I just got an email from Kaplan that they have cancelled their course at hofstra. Im taking this as a good thing and signing up for the online blueprint class, and will probably get 10 hours of tutoring too.

flyingduck

Postby flyingduck » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:15 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:See if you can get your money back from Kaplan. The TLS consensus is that Powerscore, Testmasters and Blueprint are all far superior to Kaplan.

+1 Had a 16 point gain with Testmasters. As with your adder all, get into a routine. Either take it every time you take a full LSAT practice and on the actual day, or don't take it routinely and don't take it on test day. The best way to prepare for the LSAT and the problems you're dealing with is to make sure you fully understand the Not laws, etc... AND once you've got them down, take a practice test every three days or so. You should have at least 5 full practice tests under your belt before the test. If you could do more, it should help you immensely.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”