How is this the right answer on PrepTest 28 Section 1 #1

CREATION

How is this the right answer on PrepTest 28 Section 1 #1

Postby CREATION » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:51 pm

The answer is A. Wouldn't this strengthen the idea that the student would do a B in the other course.

I went with D since we already knew that she had B's a majority of the classes. I didn't think it would strengthen to know that she had a majority of B's (11 of 12). We already know she had this majority.

Help please! Thanks TLS

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CREATION

Re: How is this the right answer on PrepTest 28 Section 1 #1

Postby CREATION » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:55 am

So the reason (A) is the right answer is because it hints at getting better than a grade of B?

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:17 pm

CREATION wrote:So the reason (A) is the right answer is because it hints at getting better than a grade of B?

Sort of. Studying, as we know (especially with better/smarter students) can indicate a way for the student to get a grade other than a B. Whether her grade changes for better, or for worse, A shows us that things are going to be different this time, which would weaken the argument that she'll get the same grade.

B- is wrong because it strengthens the argument by saying that she didnt study anything in particular and therefore only has a general knowledge (most likely) of a broad range of subject matter. This implicates that she's not particularly great at any one thing she's studied so far since she recieved a B in the majority of her courses.
C- is wrong because it strengthens the argument by saying that she is going to do the same thing as she was doing before, studying in the library, and therefore strengthens the argument that she'll get a B.
D- is wrong because there is a high probability, based on her previous courses taken, that she'll get a B, which strengthens the argument that she'll get a B.
E- is wrong because if the course she is taking is one that is a continuation of another course that she received a B in, there's a good chance that she'll get a B in this one as well.

A- is correct because it actually weakens the argument by showing that something will be different this time around and now she's studying with better (smarter) students, which could indicate she might get a better grade (or wose, if it fucks her up), hence, weakens the argument.

HTH

CREATION

Postby CREATION » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:09 pm

What if the answer choice stated that she was going to study with students that have helped students get b's in the past even though she had been studying alone?

I understand that changing the process she had used to obtain the b's, but isn't the statement above an example that would strengthen the conclusion even though it changes the process of how she studies? If not, is there ab example of such an event of her changing process yet still get the same grade of b in this other course?

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:53 pm

CREATION wrote:What if the answer choice stated that she was going to study with students that have helped students get b's in the past even though she had been studying alone?

Okay, so the answer you gave would strengthen the argument that she'll likely receive a B. Remember, this question is a strengthen EXCEPT, meaning you're looking for the answer choice that does NOT strengthen the argument.

CREATION wrote:I understand that changing the process she had used to obtain the b's, but isn't the statement above an example that would strengthen the conclusion even though it changes the process of how she studies? If not, is there ab example of such an event of her changing process yet still get the same grade of b in this other course?

Well, it depends on what the question is asking for. If you were asked to strengthen the argument (the argument that she'll get another B), I guess an answer choice could say, "She has changed her study habits, and will be studying with B-Average students." I believe this would mildly strengthen the argument while introducing a new method of studying (studying with people), ableit it's not the strongest claim one could provide when trying to strengthen the argument, so I highly doubt you would see something like that. You'd probably see one of the 4 answer choices that we marked off as incorrect on this question.

HTH

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”