Should I take June or October?

basketball law guy
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Should I take June or October?

Postby basketball law guy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:57 am

I was planning on taking the LSAT in October but I am having second thoughts after talking to a couple attorneys over spring break. I play basketball and my season just ended so I am just going to be starting my LSAT prep. My classes end May 20 and I have a decent load this semester. Do I try to crunch it between now and June and take the test with a possible retake in October? Or do I just wait until October and have the summer to prepare? I will be a senior and practices will start September 10. My GPA is 3.98. Right now, I don't have a burning desire to go to a T14 school but I would like to get some decent money at a T25-50 school. My home state is Iowa so the U of I would be a likely choice. Any thoughts? I am a little burned out after basketball and not sure I can bear down over the next 2.5 months.

basketball law guy
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Re: Should I take June or October?

Postby basketball law guy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:21 am

Should add that I got the Power Score LR and LG books at Christmas and that is what I am just starting to study. I hope this was the right choice.

kakaa001
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Re: Should I take June or October?

Postby kakaa001 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:24 am

If you take it in June, you take it on a Monday afternoon. If you take in October, you take it on a Saturday morning.

Personally, I perform better with a full night's rest and a big breakfast/brunch/lunch. Also, if you take in June and hate your score, you have plenty of time for a retake.

User avatar
nutella3000
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: Should I take June or October?

Postby nutella3000 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm in your position too. But I think that it's best to just study massively for the first time around and take the test in October. You say you have a decent course load, so you wouldn't get to really do full-time lsat prep until after may 20. That doesn't leave a lot of time for the June test.

Besides, the Oct. LSAT is still early enough for early admissions if you send in everything else beforehand.

Kurst
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Re: Should I take June or October?

Postby Kurst » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:37 pm


User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Should I take June or October?

Postby Br3v » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:41 pm

June so retake of necessary

basketball law guy
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Re: Should I take June or October?

Postby basketball law guy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Okay- I am going to expose my naive undergrad self- can you submit an application without the LSAT test? That may seem like a stupid question but that would actually help me a lot. Basketball starts September and I will be really busy after the LSAT in October. I know I can work on personal statements, LOR's, etc. before the season. I did not know that I could submit an application before the LSAT score is known.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Should I take June or October?

Postby Br3v » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:45 pm

basketball law guy wrote:Okay- I am going to expose my naive undergrad self- can you submit an application without the LSAT test? That may seem like a stupid question but that would actually help me a lot. Basketball starts September and I will be really busy after the LSAT in October. I know I can work on personal statements, LOR's, etc. before the season. I did not know that I could submit an application before the LSAT score is known.


It would be considered complete, thus it won't be considered by schools without the score. But you can fill out everything, then send in score later, however your apps will still only be looked at once the score is submitted

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Should I take June or October?

Postby StarLightSpectre » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:01 pm

Go through the bibles and start taking a few PT's if your scoring in the 75th for U of I then take the June test if not hold off till October.

Honestly, I'd take it in June anyway so you get at least two shots at it.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Should I take June or October?

Postby Br3v » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Br3v wrote:
basketball law guy wrote:Okay- I am going to expose my naive undergrad self- can you submit an application without the LSAT test? That may seem like a stupid question but that would actually help me a lot. Basketball starts September and I will be really busy after the LSAT in October. I know I can work on personal statements, LOR's, etc. before the season. I did not know that I could submit an application before the LSAT score is known.


It would be considered complete, thus it won't be considered by schools without the score. But you can fill out everything, then send in score later, however your apps will still only be looked at once the score is submitted


Meant to say it would be considered INcomplete until LSAT submitted

basketball law guy
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Re: Should I take June or October?

Postby basketball law guy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Thanks for the help and guidance. I will see what I can accomplish over the next month. I do like the option of retaking in October but I fear a really low score if I am not prepared for the June test. Nice suggestion on taking a couple practice tests and gauging my readiness at that point. Are those two books good enough to prepare or do I need to buy some more? Thanks

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Should I take June or October?

Postby StarLightSpectre » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:49 pm

basketball law guy wrote:Thanks for the help and guidance. I will see what I can accomplish over the next month. I do like the option of retaking in October but I fear a really low score if I am not prepared for the June test. Nice suggestion on taking a couple practice tests and gauging my readiness at that point. Are those two books good enough to prepare or do I need to buy some more? Thanks



I think the bibles provide a solid foundation. After that you need to make the strategies second nature. That only comes through drilling question types and addressing your weaknesses. (a good source for drill material is Cambridge'sLR by Type and LG by type). After setting the foundation and working on accuracy through drilling then it all comes down to being able to finish the sections on time and having the mental endurance to finish a long five section test (that only comes from actually taking pts).

If you're a good test taker you could pull off enough of a score for U of I by June. But you'll only know that after you've been studying for a while.

Edit: stupid iPhone autocorrect




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests