Fear

lifeprincess13

Fear

Postby lifeprincess13 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:44 pm

Hey :)

So, I am totally new to this whole thing. I graduated early in December, and have been doing an internship in a legal department for a company. I am about to start studying for LSATs, trying to go to law school 2013. I am really scared about studying for LSATs, taking the LSAT, applying for law school, getting in and even leaving my comfort zone. I know this seems like a stupid question, and I am sure everyone is feeling the same thing, but I was wondering if I could get some tips and advice on starting this process. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Br3v

Re: Fear

Postby Br3v » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:48 pm

Start buy buying/reading the 3 powerscore bibles, google them.

Also look in the LSAT forum and one of the top posts includes a guide by user pithypike that many ppl use. Check it out. There are also various other LSAT study guides on this site.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:58 pm

Br3v wrote:Start buy buying/reading the 3 powerscore bibles, google them.

Also look in the LSAT forum and one of the top posts includes a guide by user pithypike that many ppl use. Check it out. There are also various other LSAT study guides on this site.

This is probably the best advice that can be had. You really need to do well on your LSAT. Every thing else is secondary to what you score on that test. I found this out the hard way.

After getting familiar with the LSAT start working on your personal statemtent. You'll need to write, rewrite, and constantly edit it until it's as close to perfect/magic as you can get it. But only after you are dominating the LSAt.

If you're still around come application season after grinding out some hard studying and a good PS then there will be plenty of people on the forum willing to help you with application and motivation.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:17 am

Manage your time wisely and you'll be ready for the June test. If that doesn't go well, you'll still have the October test, which is early enough to let you apply early to law schools next cycle. Get a good study plan and stick to it. Get your letters of recommendation and transcripts ready now--you'll be able to give your profs plenty of time to get them done, and you'll be glad you got them out of the way early.

nutella3000

Postby nutella3000 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:37 am

I'll be taking the Oct. LSAT and prepping over the summer, so I know the feeling. It's nerve-wracking. But you've got a decent amount of time before the test. If you're going to take the Oct. 2012 LSAT, then you ought to register early to get the test review center you want.

I don't know how long you've lurked through the boards, but here's some of the advice that I've gleaned (and when you prep, take a look at TLS resources like Pithypike's lsat study schedule).

Generally, the ideal study schedule ought to emphasize different things at different times: (i) accuracy, (ii) speed, and then (iii) endurance. So the first step is actually being accurate in answering questions. This means reading through the PowerScore Logic Games Bible and the PowerScore Logical Reasoning Bible. Read through it. Do all the question sets. And then drill through the question types. But don't worry about time constraints. Just shoot for accuracy. For example, after studying logic games, try practicing a bunch of questions that are "basic linear games" (don't worry if you don't understand the lingo now, you will later).

After you've gone through question types for logic games, logical reasoning, and reading comprehension, you'll want to go for speed. So take timed sections of logic games or timed sections of logical reasoning or reading comprehension.

And then endurance means taking actual LSAT PrepTests (which you can buy off of Amazon as well). Do at least 10 PrepTests for good measure.

BUT YOU MUST REVIEW ALL YOUR MISTAKES. To review your mistakes, write down why you picked the wrong choice, why that choice was wrong, and why the right answer choice was right. Review is so important for all of this.

Hope that helped a bit!

lifeprincess13

Postby lifeprincess13 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Thank you so much for all the advice. I have browsed many different sites and looked through quite a few posts on here, and everything is really helpful. I am starting out slow by playing like Brain Age and Lumosity. I have made lots of lists of what to remember, what to buy and so on. The schedule by pithypike is EXTREMELY helpful, so thank you very much for those suggestions!

I really like how supportive and motivational everyone is on here. It really keeps me focused and driven. I am so thankful for a site like this. :)

<3

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”