How much time per day/week do you spend on LSAT prep? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
seancris

Silver

How much time per day/week do you spend on LSAT prep?

Post by seancris » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Just curious how much time others are putting in for their June prep. It's tough to find the kind of time that I'd like to spend during the week.

Geetar Man

Silver

Re: How much time per day/week do you spend on LSAT prep?

Post by Geetar Man » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:10 pm

My study schedule, on top of a 40 hour work week:

Monday-Thursday: 6pm-10pm
Friday: off
Saturday: 11am-5pm
Sunday: 11am-5pm

I'd say around 25 hours a week.

I do put this much time in,believe it or not, and I am taking it very seriously. I am treating it like a class, since I don't have any other classes. I graduated in May 2011.

Also, I give myself a break every random once in a while, if im too tired, want to go out to dinner, etc... Example: Last night, my gf's parents came into town and wanted to go out to dinner, so I took the night off (did a few logic games waiting though).

But then again, I've been studying since October, so I feel like I have this leeway in my schedule.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:10 pm

seancris wrote:Just curious how much time others are putting in for their June prep. It's tough to find the kind of time that I'd like to spend during the week.
I work a full-time desk job, so it's tough to find time. By the time I get home from work and make dinner there isn't a lot of time left in the day.
I try to study 2 hours a day Mon-Saturday. Fridays I usually only get in about an hour and sometimes not at all.
Sundays I see a tutor for 2 hours, but I don't do any studying besides that for the day. My brain is usually done after our sessions.
I have not gotten to doing timed sections or PTs yet. I just drilling the question and making sure I get every answer right.
I have been doing this since Feb. 26.
Last edited by Mr. Pancakes on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naillsat

Bronze

Post by naillsat » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:30 pm

I go to library right after work and spend 2-3 hrs on prep every work day except Fridays; 4-6 hrs each on Saturday and Sunday. So far it's going well

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:02 pm

FT worker here too. I feel like I posted this in a similar thread last week but anyway.....

Mon-Fri work 7-4pm, gym at lunch, study 6-10pm with breaks in between so anywhere from 2-4 hours a night. Actually on Fridays I try to go until 1am since I don't have to get up early on Sat.
Sat-Sun I try to fit in 4-8 hours depending on any other plans I have.

I have also studied before for 4 months then took a 3 month break, so this schedule wasn't as crazy as it used to be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

edwards711

New

Post by edwards711 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm not working but I am taking 20 units and working on two research projects (22 units next quarter). I just started my prep but here's the schedule I have planned out for next quarter since it starts in two weeks (currently, I'm trying to get 2-3 hours a day with the powerscore books):

Sundays: OFF
Mondays: 2-3 hours after my research meeting (10am)
Tuesdays: Preptest/3 hours at the library in between classes
Wednesdays: 2-3 hours after my other research meeting (12pm)
Thursdays: Preptest/3 hours at the library in between classes
Fridays: 2-3 hours shortly after I wake up
Saturdays: Preptest/3 hours around noon

My classes aren't back to back this quarter but this gives me tons of time to study and take preptests in between lectures at the library. I'll do homework and research in the evenings. I'm trying to get at least 18 hours a week in. By the way, just realized I take the LSAT the first day of finals week and graduate that Saturday...crazy week!!

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:23 pm

I work full time too.... AN HOUR AWAY :( So that makes my days 11 hours, for work. Sucks.

Wake up at 7 am, go to work, get home at 6pm

I try to eat dinner/shower/etc between 6-7 and i study from 7-10/11 (depending on how tired i am)

And obviously on weekends as much as i can handle.. 8+ hours a day

I just recently started studying though...

Is the remaining 12 weeks going to be enough time? :(

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:24 pm

d0rklord wrote:I work full time too.... AN HOUR AWAY :( So that makes my days 11 hours, for work. Sucks.

I try to eat dinner/shower/etc between 6-7 and i study from 7-10/11 (depending on how tired i am)

Depends on where you're at and what your goal is.

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
d0rklord wrote:I work full time too.... AN HOUR AWAY :( So that makes my days 11 hours, for work. Sucks.

Depends on where you're at and what your goal is.
I took an untimed diag (im not good with timing yet) and got a 160... It really should have been more of a 162-3ish, because i'm almost always perfect with games but misread one of the games :(

I just want to be in the mid to high 160s by June. Obviously something like a 170 wouldn't hurt ;) But I'm not aiming for the 175++ range, lol.

But everyone always says "3 months" is a good amount of time to study... But i'm starting to feel like they mean WITHOUT working/being in school...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:45 pm

d0rklord as long as you can target your weaknesses, you can get to where you want. a 160 diag is impressive. took me 4 months to reach that!

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:01 pm

fashiongirl wrote:d0rklord as long as you can target your weaknesses, you can get to where you want. a 160 diag is impressive. took me 4 months to reach that!
Untimed, though :/

I imagine timed i would've had a 150, lol. Reading comp and i are NOT friends :(

Let's hope... I'm just getting discouraged when I can only get through like 20 LR questions a night (in a 2 hour ish span)... It feels like im constantly falling behind my study schedule...

Good luck to you ;)

enigmabk

Bronze

Post by enigmabk » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:00 pm

12:00-7:00 Monday through saturday

mostly drillling tests and reviewing prep.. im amazed that some of you with FT jobs can put in sufficient hours to study..

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:07 pm

enigmabk wrote:12:00-7:00 Monday through saturday

mostly drillling tests and reviewing prep.. im amazed that some of you with FT jobs can put in sufficient hours to study..
I'm amazed at your financial standing so that you are not required to have a job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:34 pm

Holy mother of god. 7 hours a day!?!

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:

I'm amazed at your financial standing so that you are not required to have a job.
+1. If I didnt have a job I wouldnt be able to study. haha

Also, I have time for both since I dont have UG, as I graduated in May.

enigmabk

Bronze

Post by enigmabk » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:

Yeah pretty fortunate in that regards..

enigmabk

Bronze

Post by enigmabk » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:03 pm

d0rklord wrote:

Holy mother of god. 7 hours a day!?!

some people find that unusual or excessive but i find it best to review the test the same day as i take them as the memory is still fresh and i better remember my mindset of why i chose that question ( especially RC)

also, that allows me to drink excessively everyday

whats your study schedule like?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jared6180

Bronze

Post by jared6180 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:32 pm

and here I thought 1.5-2 hours was stretching it. something is wrong with my brain because after about 30 minutes of study I get distracted with any little insignificant thing that comes along. I thought it was my wife bugging me, I thought it was my daughter, I thought it was the dog, but when I study away from all these distractions I get distracted anyhow and CANNOT get back on track. It is crazy.

I am pretty discouraged right now. After 3 prep tests my scores are 142-138-139.

lifeprincess13

New

Post by lifeprincess13 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:00 pm

jared6180 wrote:and here I thought 1.5-2 hours was stretching it. something is wrong with my brain because after about 30 minutes of study I get distracted with any little insignificant thing that comes along. I thought it was my wife bugging me, I thought it was my daughter, I thought it was the dog, but when I study away from all these distractions I get distracted anyhow and CANNOT get back on track. It is crazy.

I am pretty discouraged right now. After 3 prep tests my scores are 142-138-139.
I read your post and hopefully this should help. I subscribed to emails from this guy in NY and got an email from him.

"Students do Not Fail in the LSAT.

-

They Quit!!

They embrace the lie that they tried; tried really hard, but still could not make a top score. Quitting is the result of a Losing mindset. Most new students starting out their LSAT prep lack the proper mindset to get through the tough times that all Winners face. They inevitably start to think of quitting when they fail to their scores rise fast enough. They have what is called the 'Lottery' mindset. They go ahead with the moves without their heart being into it, and wait to see what numbers they draw.

A sure recipe for disaster if there ever was!

On the other hand, the LSAT Winners have what is called the ' Winner's Mindset '.

The Winner's Mindset is a mindset of knowing, that no matter what happens in your life and career, you will keep getting up off the ground and continue to move forward till the finish line is in front of you, and you cross it.

Some students play what is known as the "Try" game. They are going to "Try" the LSAT and see what happens. That is a Losing mindset. They make their mind up that they will give this exam a certain time frame, a certain effort, and if it doesn't produce the result, then "it doesn't work". They work on their preparation on THEIR terms, THEIR Time Frame, not the terms nor Time Frame required to become an LSAT Winner. And then they expect massive success.

Becoming an LSAT Winner requires you to have a "No matter what" mindset, and No Matter What, you will continue to work and do what is required till success shows up.

To read more about how to develop a Winning Mindset and plan your preparation as the LSAT Winners do, click on the link below.

http://www.my-prep.com/WaysoftheLSATWinners.html

Best of luck with your prep!"

I know this is a lot of selling his stuff, blah blah blah. But hopefully this gives you a different mindset and motivates you to think in a different way. The mentality is something hard to conceive and even implement, but if you can, I am sure you will not fail at anything! The first step of success is believing you are worthy of success...I forgot who told me this, but its worth thinking about. Don't let anything stop you from your dream! If your dream is law school, then do it to it. :)

<3

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:18 pm

jared6180 wrote:I am pretty discouraged right now. After 3 prep tests my scores are 142-138-139.
Stop doing prep tests and just learn the material. Take as much time as you need to learn the concepts/basics. Then you can get back to timing and fine tuning your strategy.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:59 am

jared6180 wrote:and here I thought 1.5-2 hours was stretching it. something is wrong with my brain because after about 30 minutes of study I get distracted with any little insignificant thing that comes along. I thought it was my wife bugging me, I thought it was my daughter, I thought it was the dog, but when I study away from all these distractions I get distracted anyhow and CANNOT get back on track. It is crazy.

with those scores you shouldn't be taking prep tests yet. you should be making sure you understand every question type first. Go slow and do the questions without timing until you get them all right. You should also think about a tutor.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:28 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:

with those scores you shouldn't be taking prep tests yet. you should be making sure you understand every question type first. Go slow and do the questions without timing until you get them all right. You should also think about a tutor.
I absolutely agree. You should work on accuracy, then speed, then endurance.

Just going straight into prep tests is going to psyche you out and make you stressed...

Try doing just logic games (read the bible, drill drill drill, time yourself) then switch the LR, the RC.. etc.. then throw them together.

It also helps for LR to do things by type:

you can use this free spreadsheet, if you already have PTs:

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/ls ... sheet.html

or you can buy the bundles:

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/productdet ... -38%29/357

DO NOT GIVE UP :)

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:24 am

Learn to love the LSAT!

Once you read through the study materials (Bibles, Manhattan, etc) and you start working on accuracy... It starts to become fun. You start to realize your thought process and enjoy getting answers right. It's almost a thrill... For me at least :X

enigmabk

Bronze

Post by enigmabk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:03 pm

d0rklord wrote:

Learn to love the LSAT!

Once you read through the study materials (Bibles, Manhattan, etc) and you start working on accuracy... It starts to become fun. You start to realize your thought process and enjoy getting answers right. It's almost a thrill... For me at least :X

^agreeed, i actually enjoy it more so now than i did before

jared6180

Bronze

Post by jared6180 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:21 pm

enigmabk wrote: ^agreeed, i actually enjoy it more so now than i did before
I have read about people learning to enjoy the LSAT and I hope to get to that place...soon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”