LR Drilling by type....

d0rklord

LR Drilling by type....

Postby d0rklord » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:57 pm

How long should you spend drilling one type of Logical Reasoning question.. (Assumption, Flaw, Weaken, Etc...)

It seems like you could spend DAYS on each type... but is that excessive? Especially with only 3 months til June... :X

Mr. Pancakes

Re: LR Drilling by type....

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:03 pm

d0rklord wrote:How long should you spend drilling one type of Logical Reasoning question.. (Assumption, Flaw, Weaken, Etc...)

It seems like you could spend DAYS on each type... but is that excessive? Especially with only 3 months til June... :X

I started with one question type for the first weak and only did that question type. Then added one different question type to the one I was already doing each week, slowly building to them all. ya feel me.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:40 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
d0rklord wrote:How long should you spend drilling one type of Logical Reasoning question.. (Assumption, Flaw, Weaken, Etc...)

I started with one question type for the first weak and only did that question type. Then added one different question type to the one I was already doing each week, slowly building to them all. ya feel me.

... I'm working full time and I want to take the June LSAT...

Do you think that I won't have enough time!?! I thought it would only take 2-3 weeks tops to study the accuracy portion of the LR section... :(

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:10 am

d0rklord wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

... I'm working full time and I want to take the June LSAT...

Do you think that I won't have enough time!?! I thought it would only take 2-3 weeks tops to study the accuracy portion of the LR section... :(

I am working full time and taking the June LSAT. That's the way I am going at it.
First week main point+main conclusion, second: add strengthen/weaken, third week: assumption/flaw, and so on.
a couple hours a night adding question types.

specialsnowflake

Postby specialsnowflake » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:20 am

I'm working full time as well and studying and I've started with LR too. I'm drilling by type and what's really been helping me is using post-it notes over the answer choices and writing out what I formulate as the correct answer. It's really helped to start seeing the patterns and makes the questions much more direct instead of jumping into the answer choices without truly giving it some thought.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:29 am

I work FT too. I took the Dec LSAT and drilled the LR types within 2 months and I plan to do it again. You have to make time to drill each question type to the point where you feel comfortable about seeing it on the test. I didn't drill Weaken questions enough but I will this time. Also I drilled MBT/~MBT questions early and then forgot about them towards the end, so keep drilling until you can come back to it and feel confident that you can attack it quickly.

I would say 50-100 questions for hard question types (assumption, strengthen, weaken) and 30-40 for easy types (main point, role, describe) and 50ish for medium (disagree, etc.) - these are my strengths + weaknesses so it's just an example.

Make sure to do timed sections so you can piece them altogether after you have drilled most of them. You want to make sure you can identify each question type on its own and also work through diff types in each section quickly.

LSATsmasher

Postby LSATsmasher » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:42 am

I also work full time and I get up at 4am! I'm starting a prep course on the 18th which runs from 6-10pm plus some other classes....I am tired and refuse to turn to meth for help. Any suggestions? :|

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:43 am

LSATsmasher wrote:I also work full time and I get up at 4am! I'm starting a prep course on the 18th which runs from 6-10pm plus some other classes....I am tired and refuse to turn to meth for help. Any suggestions? :|

what course?

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:44 am

fashiongirl wrote:I work FT too. I took the Dec LSAT and drilled the LR types within 2 months and I plan to do it again. You have to make time to drill each question type to the point where you feel comfortable about seeing it on the test. I didn't drill Weaken questions enough but I will this time. Also I drilled MBT/~MBT questions early and then forgot about them towards the end, so keep drilling until you can come back to it and feel confident that you can attack it quickly.

I would say 50-100 questions for hard question types (assumption, strengthen, weaken) and 30-40 for easy types (main point, role, describe) and 50ish for medium (disagree, etc.) - these are my strengths + weaknesses so it's just an example.

Make sure to do timed sections so you can piece them altogether after you have drilled most of them. You want to make sure you can identify each question type on its own and also work through diff types in each section quickly.

If you spent two months JUST drilling LR... how long did you study total?

I assume by drilling you do not include taking timed sections.. ?

I'm really scared I don't have enough time until June now... I've finished assumption but that's about it :(

Luckily I only need to work on timing for games, but i normally get -0 to -1

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:45 am

LSATsmasher wrote:I also work full time and I get up at 4am! I'm starting a prep course on the 18th which runs from 6-10pm plus some other classes....I am tired and refuse to turn to meth for help. Any suggestions? :|

Are you taking June or October?

LSATsmasher

Postby LSATsmasher » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:52 am

I'm taking June.....

LSATsmasher

Postby LSATsmasher » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:

what course?

I am taking Blueprint. I'll have classes mon/wed from 6-10 PM. If I slam an energy drink or coffee I'm up all night (still tired) and worse off the next day. I am also worried about the time left to study. Where is my free ride! I guess we all like to suffer.

Postby 03152016 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:19 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:44 pm

d0rklord wrote:
fashiongirl wrote:I work FT too. I took the Dec LSAT and drilled the LR types within 2 months and I plan to do it again. You have to make time to drill each question type to the point where you feel comfortable about seeing it on the test. I didn't drill Weaken questions enough but I will this time. Also I drilled MBT/~MBT questions early and then forgot about them towards the end, so keep drilling until you can come back to it and feel confident that you can attack it quickly.

I'm really scared I don't have enough time until June now... I've finished assumption but that's about it :(

I didn't spend 2 months just drilling. I based it off of my Blueprint study schedule (took the class the first 2 months) so the LR drilling came from the HW, and coupled it with drilling some RC and LG too. I added timed sections in the last 3 weeks the first time around, but during my 2nd 2-month study plan I did drilling (not too heavy) and started timed sections in the first month. I did timed sections about once or twice a week and a PT each week when I was about 2 weeks in..so 1.5 months up to the test. Btw I work FT so I study about 3-4 hours weekdays and anywhere from 4-8 hours each day on the weekend.

This time I'm going to just focus on drilling, timed sections and PTs starting in April. Focus on weakness areas. My hugest weakness right now is getting distracted. I know everything but I start daydreaming which results in rereading certain things...like a paragraph in RC or a stim in LR.

bruss

Postby bruss » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:01 pm

This is what I do. Do 10 must be true, 10 assumption, 10 flaw. Next day do the same thing but add in 10 paradox. The next day add 10 etc until you have drilled all questions 20-45. After each drilling section review. Gl

Edit: make spreadsheet for questions you miss. Do those everyday until you can say why each answer is wrong/right

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:33 pm

fashiongirl wrote:
d0rklord wrote:

I didn't spend 2 months just drilling. I based it off of my Blueprint study schedule (took the class the first 2 months) so the LR drilling came from the HW, and coupled it with drilling some RC and LG too. I added timed sections in the last 3 weeks the first time around, but during my 2nd 2-month study plan I did drilling (not too heavy) and started timed sections in the first month. I did timed sections about once or twice a week and a PT each week when I was about 2 weeks in..so 1.5 months up to the test. Btw I work FT so I study about 3-4 hours weekdays and anywhere from 4-8 hours each day on the weekend.

This time I'm going to just focus on drilling, timed sections and PTs starting in April. Focus on weakness areas. My hugest weakness right now is getting distracted. I know everything but I start daydreaming which results in rereading certain things...like a paragraph in RC or a stim in LR.

Yeah RC is a beast... Good luck :)

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:41 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:

I agree wth this poster. I would, however, start with conclusion and then go to assumption, because strengthen, weaken and flaws normally revolve around the conclusion.

You can also start with inference questions, but don't start with random rare question types, because the logic behind inferences and main point questions hold true for many other question types.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:47 pm

What if you already know all the question types and you are a retaker? Do you all think it's best to start with Inference questions again and build up to assumption and strengthen/weaken (which are my hardest)? Or do you start with your most difficult types first and then sprinkle in the easier ones later?

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:01 pm

fashiongirl wrote:What if you already know all the question types and you are a retaker? Do you all think it's best to start with Inference questions again and build up to assumption and strengthen/weaken (which are my hardest)? Or do you start with your most difficult types first and then sprinkle in the easier ones later?

I'd do it the same way unless you're relatively proficient, in wjich case just do sections.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:23 pm

I did Kaplan's mastery book (950 LR questions) and drilled them at 20 a piece, per question type. Kaplan sucks though because they bundle strengthen and weaken together, and sufficient assumption with necessary assumption, so I wasted some valuable time sorting out the questions so that I could drill the more specific question type.

I also used a fuck load of post-its and reviewed the hell (9 question process) of the questions I had trouble with or missed.

I also read a short introduction to logic as refresher (I was a philosophy major) and went over the conditional reasoning article that someone posted on TLS.

In short, just DRILL DRILL DRILL, then REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW. It doesnt matter how many, as long as you're reviewing the ones that you missed. HTH

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Geetar Man wrote:I did Kaplan's mastery book (950 LR questions) and drilled them at 20 a piece, per question type. Kaplan sucks though because they bundle strengthen and weaken together, and sufficient assumption with necessary assumption, so I wasted some valuable time sorting out the questions so that I could drill the more specific question type.

I also used a fuck load of post-its and reviewed the hell (9 question process) of the questions I had trouble with or missed.

I also read a short introduction to logic as refresher (I was a philosophy major) and went over the conditional reasoning article that someone posted on TLS.

In short, just DRILL DRILL DRILL, then REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW. It doesnt matter how many, as long as you're reviewing the ones that you missed. HTH

Just got started w/ Kaplan mastery although I've done a bunch of these already through Blueprint hw. Do you have them sorted out already somewhere so I can figure out how to separate the strengthen/weaken and sufficient/necessary assumption Qs?

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:11 pm

fashiongirl wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:I did Kaplan's mastery book (950 LR questions) and drilled them at 20 a piece, per question type. Kaplan sucks though because they bundle strengthen and weaken together, and sufficient assumption with necessary assumption, so I wasted some valuable time sorting out the questions so that I could drill the more specific question type.

Just got started w/ Kaplan mastery although I've done a bunch of these already through Blueprint hw. Do you have them sorted out already somewhere so I can figure out how to separate the strengthen/weaken and sufficient/necessary assumption Qs?

Nope :( You'll have to go through the section and write next to the question and "S" for strengthen or a "W" for a weaken. Its a huge pain. And the same thing for "N"ecessary and "S"ufficient assumptions. I used different color highlighters to do this, so I will have another way to distinguish.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:40 pm

Good idea. I think I'll do the highlighter thing. I guess this will help me recognize question types faster? Haha.

sums

Postby sums » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 am

I was working 3 PT jobs and taking 18 credit hours while I prepped. I think the most important thing is to see what questions you're already good at and which you need to practice. For example, when I PT'ed in the beginning, I barely missed strengthen/weaken and assumption but almost always missed flaw, "what is the premise", and necessary/sufficient condition questions. So I studied everything at least a little, but I definitely focused on the ones that I really struggled with. If you don't have a lot of time then I wouldn't spend hours on LR questions you're already really good at, but just a little time to continue to hone them. Find the types you miss and literally answer every similar LR question. I ended up -1 and -3 on my actual test, so I think it worked out pretty well for me.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”