Need advice from high scorers, please.

RodionRaskolnikov

Need advice from high scorers, please.

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:43 pm

I didn't score as well as I wanted to during the February test and I think it's due to my study style. I mostly went through the books for each section quickly and then retook PTs over and over until the test without any real take from each. I did the whole why-did-you-get-it-wrong-and-why-is-the-right-answer-right for LR and Games but it was quickly done so I don't think I took as much from it as I should have..

So for June, I just got the Traciela PDF files for tests 1 through 40 and they separated all the LR questions, Games, and Reading section by type. I plan on studying each type AS I take prep tests (or retake them since I already took the majority of them).

Is that a good plan or does anyone else have a better way?

Thanks

Geetar Man

Re: Need advice from high scorers, please.

Postby Geetar Man » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:57 pm

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:I didn't score as well as I wanted to during the February test and I think it's due to my study style. I mostly went through the books for each section quickly and then retook PTs over and over until the test without any real take from each. I did the whole why-did-you-get-it-wrong-and-why-is-the-right-answer-right for LR and Games but it was quickly done so I don't think I took as much from it as I should have..

So for June, I just got the Traciela PDF files for tests 1 through 40 and they separated all the LR questions, Games, and Reading section by type. I plan on studying each type AS I take prep tests (or retake them since I already took the majority of them).

Thanks

What did you score? It's relevant.

RodionRaskolnikov

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:07 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:I didn't score as well as I wanted to during the February test and I think it's due to my study style. I mostly went through the books for each section quickly and then retook PTs over and over until the test without any real take from each. I did the whole why-did-you-get-it-wrong-and-why-is-the-right-answer-right for LR and Games but it was quickly done so I don't think I took as much from it as I should have..

Thanks

I practiced in about 167 to 168 and got 161. A lot of people somehow did the same though, where they got a score completely off (lower) than what they were expecting..

I think I'm still at ~168.. so my plan was to do it my question type and really let the practice sink in and maybe get 170+ next time.

Oh and I didn't practice bubbling when I took PTs... Should I bubble while practicing, too, to sort of prevent bubbling mistakes? The timing it takes to bubble doesn't affect me since I had extra time during the test to bubble and even go over some questions..

aekea

Postby aekea » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:26 am

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:

Thanks

I practiced in about 167 to 168 and got 161. A lot of people somehow did the same though, where they got a score completely off (lower) than what they were expecting..

I think I'm still at ~168.. so my plan was to do it my question type and really let the practice sink in and maybe get 170+ next time.

Oh and I didn't practice bubbling when I took PTs... Should I bubble while practicing, too, to sort of prevent bubbling mistakes? The timing it takes to bubble doesn't affect me since I had extra time during the test to bubble and even go over some questions..

It definitely sounds like you jumped into taking a bunch of practice tests before you mastered how to answer the questions. Yes, definitely go through the answers carefully and look over your correct and incorrect answers when you do PTs. That is absolutely necessary to improving your accuracy when answering questions. Also, I know that TLS wisdom is to practice full length tests, but I found I made most of my progress by doing timed individual sections. For me, LR was where I made the most mistakes and so I would do three or four sections in a row to really get my mind set on those sorts of questions and felt like that was how it finally clicked for me. Doing full PTs is definitely important and I'm not saying don't do full timed PTs, but if you're still missing 5 or 6 questions per section your overall understanding of the questions is not quite there. Right now you're practicing how to get really fast at answering the questions incorrectly and you're probably establishing some bad habits. I would also suggest, for LR and RC try to do questions and guess the correct response before looking at the answers. You don't have to do that when you're doing timed tests, but I found that it really helps avoid trap answers and can be a good measure of how well you understand the question. Hope some of that is useful to you.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:12 am

aekea wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:

Thanks

It definitely sounds like you jumped into taking a bunch of practice tests before you mastered how to answer the questions. Yes, definitely go through the answers carefully and look over your correct and incorrect answers when you do PTs. That is absolutely necessary to improving your accuracy when answering questions. Also, I know that TLS wisdom is to practice full length tests, but I found I made most of my progress by doing timed individual sections. For me, LR was where I made the most mistakes and so I would do three or four sections in a row to really get my mind set on those sorts of questions and felt like that was how it finally clicked for me. Doing full PTs is definitely important and I'm not saying don't do full timed PTs, but if you're still missing 5 or 6 questions per section your overall understanding of the questions is not quite there. Right now you're practicing how to get really fast at answering the questions incorrectly and you're probably establishing some bad habits. I would also suggest, for LR and RC try to do questions and guess the correct response before looking at the answers. You don't have to do that when you're doing timed tests, but I found that it really helps avoid trap answers and can be a good measure of how well you understand the question. Hope some of that is useful to you.

+1.

Cramming for the LSAT is like trying to lift 400 pounds after your first workout. It just won't happen. You need to make the logic of the test a constant part of your lifestyle, and while you don't need to like prepping for the LSAT, you need to take pride in what it's testing rather than a raw number. This is the only way to ensure consistent progress, and will also make you more confident when you take the test, and thus less prone to a stress-induced score.

RodionRaskolnikov

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:56 pm

aekea wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:

Thanks

I think you're 100% right.. Right now I'm doing one section over and over again, and not just one section, but one type of section. I started today with doing all of the Linear Games from tests 1 through 20 and the one Circular game found in tests 1 through 20. I answered around 102 questions and only missed 1, which I figured our exactly why the correct answer was right within 15 seconds of redoing it. I plan on moving to Stacked and other games tomorrow and just doing those over and over and over. Once done with different game types, I'm going to move on to different question types from LR sections in tests 1 through 20, and the RC sections.. Then, I'll start retaking the prep tests over to see if I improved while redoing everything (going through games by type, questions by type in LR, and RC by type) but this time from tests 20-40! I'm hoping if I do the same type of questions or games over and over, I figure out/perfect the technique and it becomes instinct.

What do you think?

Liquox

Postby Liquox » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:04 pm

best advice i can give you is to relax. people underestimate how important it is. go out with friends, have a drink, go to the gym. if you aren't too proud, eat rainbow candy during the break. the sugar's good for you.

a friend of mine freaked out during the test last october and got a 159. we took her out every few days for two months, then gave her some candy for the test the night before. she got a 171 on the december test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”