Manhattan Logic Games Book

alink09

Manhattan Logic Games Book

Postby alink09 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:25 pm

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you had opinions on the Manhattan logic games book? I am taking a Princeton prep course but wanted to supplement my strategies to get faster and better understand harder games, so I started working through the Powerscore LG bible. But, I left it on the bus today. After panicking for a while (I don't have any money to buy it again from Barnes & Noble or time to wait for an Amazon shipment) I realized my library had one available so I went over there to check it out and it was gone, so I decided to get Manhattan instead. The Amazon reviews look good and I've seen a few references to it on this forum, but can someone give me their experience with the book?

Thanks!

d0rklord

Re: Manhattan Logic Games Book

Postby d0rklord » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:27 pm

To be honest, i loved it. I found it to be much more reader-friendly than the PS Bible...

They teach you how to break down games by type and teach you a specific method to solve them, which once you learn makes the games much easier...

However... I've heard that the newer games are less conventional/don't quite fit into the "types" that the book provides..

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:30 pm

How does this compare to BP's method? Trying to figure out if it's worth it to shell out another $30 on prep material.

pizzabrosauce

Postby pizzabrosauce » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Manhattan's LG book kindof assumes you've been through Powerscore LGB, I don't think its enough by itself to get a handle of games section.

Its def reader-friendly, it emphasizes visual diagrams to really dominate the cookie-cutter games used in the 40's-50's.

The problem is, the newer games always have some wrench thrown into it. These tend to be significant enough to undermine the value of using these diagrams. As a result, I don't really use anything Manhattan's taught me other than maybe the "Open Board" for older games.

So, while decent, I'd have a hard time recommending Manhattan LG to others.

banjo

Postby banjo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:27 pm

I used this book. I really hated their binary game diagram (the "pinball machine"). Their relative sequencing setup is decent though.

alink09

Postby alink09 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks for your help guys. I decided to go ahead and use the book because I figured that something is better than nothing. I'm only through chapter 3, but so far I really like it. Maybe it's because I've already been introduced to the game types through Princeton, but so far I find the book easy to follow and a lot quicker to get through than the powerscore bible. My goal was really to learn some new strategies over spring break while I'm not weighted down with homework for my LSAT class. I also really like their tree diagram! That all being said though, I still plan to go through the logic games bible too so I can see which strategies work best for me.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”