Studying LR - By Question Type or Holistically?

SaintsTheMetal

Studying LR - By Question Type or Holistically?

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Hey guys, been reading here a lot. Studying for June LSAT and had a pretty basic question.. For people aiming for a 170+ do you typically read an LRB section, then do a bunch of just that type of questions, pulling them from your practice LSATs? Or do you just do the questions at the end of the LRB section and then move on to the next section and get through the book quickly so you can just do whole LR sections together?

In case its relevant... 156 totally cold diagnostic (June 2007, Official Free LSAT)... -5 LG, -7 RC, -10/-7 LR. (However -2,-2,-3,-3 respectively of each section were due to time constraints rather than wrong answers.) I've just been reading through LRB since.

I did decide to focus more on LR than LG to start, because I did find the LG pretty easy and think I just need to improve my speed, as well as LR basically having double the weight of LG on the test. I was surprised when I missed so many LR.

Materials I have: LRB, LGB, June 2007 LSAT, Official LSAT Superprep, Official PrepTests 19-38, 52-61, 62-65.
I didn't buy the very oldest 10 LSAT one because I figured 34 tests would probably be enough, but I'm not averse to buying it

My reasoning is that it would be better to just read through the whole LRB quickly, and refer back to it when picking apart entire sections that I've done. This way I don't have to dissect a huge amount of the PTs. It seems to me spending hours separating our the question types is time better spent actually studying, AND wouldn't waste any complete sections that I can take once I finish the whole LRB. Also, it seems like I would have to dissect A LOT of tests to get a significant amount of some of the rarer question types... Especially the comparative sections, since they are only in the newer PTs.

Thanks for any help.

Br3v

Re: Studying LR - By Question Type or Holistically?

Postby Br3v » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:07 pm

By type

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Br3v wrote:By type

so how many PTs would you suggest splitting up? won't this leave me with like 100 Must be True questions, and like 7 Method questions?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
Br3v wrote:By type

so how many PTs would you suggest splitting up? won't this leave me with like 100 Must be True questions, and like 7 Method questions?

Yes. And if there have only been 7 questions of a particular type since 1991 you shouldn't spend much time worrying about that question type.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:40 am

Sorry for asking the same thing again, but I'm still really curious what the recommendation is..

How many PTs should I cut up, rather than saving them for the last month near the final test date. I have 38 PTs, but I can get 10 more of the oldest ones for 48, plus a handful of each type of question from the LRB itself. I was hoping to have at least like ~10-15 for full timed PTs in the month before the exam. If I saved 15, would I be ok drilling with all the older ones? I know they added the Comparative Reading recently, but have there been any significant changes to LR?

Thanks for the advice btw guys

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:46 am

I don't think you need to keep more than about 15 full PTs.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:52 am

ite thanks for the advice bud

ah one last thing.. i thought I saw a link somewhere to a website that might have cataloged every PT question by type... but it might have been for LG.. is there any better way to get 66 LR sections classified than doing it by hand?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:59 am

Does studying holistically mean you get to blow trees while studying?

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:11 am

Tom Joad wrote:Does studying holistically mean you get to blow trees while studying?

I meant doing complete sections directly out of the practice tests

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:14 am

I think Cambridge offers something where they break up the questions by type. I took a Testmasters class and one big benefit was that they broke all of the questions down by type for me.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:44 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Does studying holistically mean you get to blow trees while studying?

He knew what you meant lol. But split it up, concentrate more on types that have appeared more frequently over the yes as another poster mentioned

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:04 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:

Well if that's what you meant, I did a little of both. Mostly holistic though, and things turned out alright for me.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:39 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
i thought I saw a link somewhere to a website that might have cataloged every PT question by type... but it might have been for LG.. is there any better way to get 66 LR sections classified than doing it by hand?

There is the free logical reasoning question type finder utility I built which covers PrepTests 19 through 45. It's meant for self study people that already have those tests, typically from having bought the LSAC 10 tests books.

http://www.lsatdiscussion2.com/logicalreasoning.php

tronimrich

Postby tronimrich » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:19 am

Jeffort wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:
i thought I saw a link somewhere to a website that might have cataloged every PT question by type... but it might have been for LG.. is there any better way to get 66 LR sections classified than doing it by hand?

There is the free logical reasoning question type finder utility I built which covers PrepTests 19 through 45. It's meant for self study people that already have those tests, typically from having bought the LSAC 10 tests books.

Wow! Godsend, really. Thanks a ton. I originally had thought of scouring through the spreadsheets people have. This is much easier.

tronimrich

Postby tronimrich » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:25 am

Br3v wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:

He knew what you meant lol. But split it up, concentrate more on types that have appeared more frequently over the yes as another poster mentioned

Is this read as: concentrate more on PT 20 and above?

proxy

Postby proxy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Traciela Grouped by books are pretty good.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Jeffort wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:

Jeffort is awesome as always.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Jeffort wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:

awesome, exactly what I was looking for.. thanks a ton!!

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:57 am

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/ls ... sheet.html

I found this to be a bit easier than the "search"

Just my opinion, though :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”