Journey to June with a (not so) specialsnowflake

specialsnowflake

Journey to June with a (not so) specialsnowflake

Postby specialsnowflake » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Well after my cycle and with the great advice of TLS, I've begun to study for my June retake. This retake will be my third and final shot at the LSAT. In October 2010 I slated a 151 and almost made the mistake of settling for a local TTTT at full tuition. Thanks to TLS, I withdrew before school began and immediately started studying for the October 2011 LSAT. With about 8 weeks of prep I improved to a modest 161 and was very pleased with the jump compared to my original score. With this past cycle wrapped up, I've decided it would be best to give it one more crack and I believe with more prep I can still see substantial improvements in my score.

My previous study regime for the October 2011 LSAT consisted of self study and the Velocity online course. My breakdown was the following:
LR1: -9
LG: -2
LR2: -5
RC: -11

Tonight, I plan on taking Preptest #9 under full time-constraints (without an experimental) just to see where my starting point is. Hopefully I'm not too rusty, but I won't let myself get too discouraged with a low score due to my time off from the LSAT.

The study materials I have are the Powerscore bibles, all of the Velocity LSAT materials and online videos, and Preptests 7-57.

With more study time than before I really hope to gain a lot of ground and break into the 170 club. This thread will play a role in tracking my progress and I invite anyone interested in joining me on this exciting (okay, not that exciting) journey to the June LSAT.

GirlStop

Re: Journey to June with a (not so) specialsnowflake

Postby GirlStop » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Great improvement so far! Just a quick question: How helpful was Velocity? Do you believe it contributed significantly to your score increase?

specialsnowflake

Postby specialsnowflake » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:04 pm

GirlStop wrote:Great improvement so far! Just a quick question: How helpful was Velocity? Do you believe it contributed significantly to your score increase?

I really enjoyed Velocity and Dave's approach to the test really helped. It definitely was the reason my score jumped so much and I feel as if I had another few weeks I would've been where I am striving to get now. A real benefit of Velocity that i didn't expect going in was the structured approach. It gave me a schedule and I had something to stick to. That helped a lot for me as I can sometimes get a little disorganized when approaching study for the LSAT. I didn't spend a lot of time preparing for RC last time and it really did bite me in the ass. This time it will get a lot of my attention as will LR. Velocity's LG approach is flawless and I was averaging 0-2 wrong going into the test.

tl;dr I am strong advocate of Velocity and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to those looking for a well-structured course

GirlStop

Postby GirlStop » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks for your response! That was very helpful, I wish you the best of luck and will be following your journey (I'm studying for the June test as well :-) )

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:20 pm

specialsnowflake wrote:
GirlStop wrote:Great improvement so far! Just a quick question: How helpful was Velocity? Do you believe it contributed significantly to your score increase?

I really enjoyed Velocity and Dave's approach to the test really helped. It definitely was the reason my score jumped so much and I feel as if I had another few weeks I would've been where I am striving to get now. A real benefit of Velocity that i didn't expect going in was the structured approach. It gave me a schedule and I had something to stick to. That helped a lot for me as I can sometimes get a little disorganized when approaching study for the LSAT. I didn't spend a lot of time preparing for RC last time and it really did bite me in the ass. This time it will get a lot of my attention as will LR. Velocity's LG approach is flawless and I was averaging 0-2 wrong going into the test.

tl;dr I am strong advocate of Velocity and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to those looking for a well-structured course

I'm in the midst of Velocity, and I like that it's sort of a midway point between the rigidity of a class and the DIY approach of full-self study (which I kinda failed out). Having an outline and the freedom to make up or move days as necessary works very well for me.

jigglebottom

Postby jigglebottom » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:55 am

emarxnj wrote:
specialsnowflake wrote:

I'm in the midst of Velocity, and I like that it's sort of a midway point between the rigidity of a class and the DIY approach of full-self study (which I kinda failed out). Having an outline and the freedom to make up or move days as necessary works very well for me.

whats velocity's approach to LR? Retaking in June and considering enrolling after great feedback.

specialsnowflake

Postby specialsnowflake » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:45 pm

jigglebottom wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
specialsnowflake wrote:

whats velocity's approach to LR? Retaking in June and considering enrolling after great feedback.

It's approached by question type. Dave gives insight on how to attack each question type and also gives a holistic approach because a lot of the questions/patterns overlap into other question types. With enough time, I have a lot of confidence that I'll be able to master the LR sections thanks to Velocity and a lot of practice

pizzabrosauce

Postby pizzabrosauce » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:08 pm

jigglebottom wrote:whats velocity's approach to LR? Retaking in June and considering enrolling after great feedback.

He breaks down a question type. Tells you what to look out for, sets an attack plan, then has you do a set of ~20 problems. Afterwards there's video explanations (which are worth looking at even if you got the question right, to get the right mindset/nugget of info).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”