How to make the most out of practice LSATs?

venalis

How to make the most out of practice LSATs?

Postby venalis » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:04 pm

After taking a practice LSAT and reviewing it for mistakes is there anything else that can be done with the test itself that can help increase aptitude? Obviously once you've taken it, a second go won't reveal any significant info since you'll just remember what you answered previously. Any suggestions on what to do with LSATs after you take them?

pizzabrosauce

Re: How to make the most out of practice LSATs?

Postby pizzabrosauce » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Mark difficult questions during the test.

Go over these before checking the answer. If you got it right, your instincts will be reinforced. If you got it wrong, find out why your wrong answer attracted you, kill that tendency. Replace it with the correct one. Fight the urge to think "Oh, that was just a stupid mistake"

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:58 pm

I reviewed every question- right or wrong. Force yourself to articulate why right answers are right, and why wrong answers are wrong.

venalis

Postby venalis » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:30 pm

pizzabrosauce wrote:Mark difficult questions during the test.

Go over these before checking the answer. If you got it right, your instincts will be reinforced. If you got it wrong, find out why your wrong answer attracted you, kill that tendency. Replace it with the correct one. Fight the urge to think "Oh, that was just a stupid mistake"

Thank you. This is good advice.

venalis

Postby venalis » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 pm

minnbills wrote:I reviewed every question- right or wrong. Force yourself to articulate why right answers are right, and why wrong answers are wrong.

thx

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:48 am

My 4 point process after each incorrect question (although you should also review questions of which you weren't sure and 'guessed' correctly):
1) Why is my answer wrong?
2) Why is the right answer right?
(This is where most people stop)
3) What about the wrong answer made me think it was right?
4) What about the right answer made me think it was wrong?

Articulating, precisely, the answers to the last two questions is key to seeing big score increases. If you just figure out why the right answer's right and the wrong answer's wrong, you understand that question. If you understand how they tricked you (both into picking a wrong answer AND disregarding a correct answer), you can stop falling for that trick in any question. Especially since they use the same tricks over and over. And over. And most students I've worked with fall for the same ones over and over. And over.

So you might find, for instance, that they keep getting you with an equivocation (the conclusion is about fat loss and you picked an answer about weight loss). Once you realize this, you'll be on the lookout for it and you won't be fooled again.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”