My Unique Study Approach -- Sound Good?

toliveNdieNLA

My Unique Study Approach -- Sound Good?

Postby toliveNdieNLA » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:47 pm

So I am beginning the process of studying for the LSAT and wanted folks opinions on what I have. Essentially, I am wanting a LSAT score of 173+. Let me know what you think:

Materials:
Powerscore LG Bible
Powerscore LR Bible
SuperPrep
PT 1-65; these exams I have purchased from Cambridge LSAT.
Manhattan LSAT Reaching Comprehension Guide
June 2007 LSAT (PDF)
LSAT Itemwise (Disclosed Feb. exam from the late 1990s)

Process:
1. Comb through PS LG Bible and do un-timed drilling of game types using exams from 1991 to 2001. Review & dissect questions and answer choices.
2. Review PS LR Bible and do un-timed practice by question types from 1991 to 2001. Review & dissect questions and answer choices.
3. Read and study Manhattan LSAT Reading Comprehension guides. Devise question types templates and practice RC passages from 1991 to 2001. Review & dissect questions and answer choices.
4. Begin time practice of exams 2002 to 2005. Write out explanation's for both right and wrong answers, and aim for 33 min. time limit per section.
5. Begin fully simulated exams, 2006 to 2011, with strict 33 min. time limit and additional experimental section. Redo all games, reading comprehension passages, and Logical Reasoning from this time period until scores are flawless.
6. Will be reading dense academic journals two hours to an hour a day to ensure I won't be blindside with awkward RC passage types and will be using a dictionary to learn any words that are unfamiliar to me in passages.
Last edited by toliveNdieNLA on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

941law

Re: My Unique Study Approach -- Sound Good?

Postby 941law » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:37 am

"PT 1-65; these exams I have purchased from Cambridge LSAT"

are these 'actual' lsats?

toliveNdieNLA

Postby toliveNdieNLA » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:48 am

941law wrote:"PT 1-65; these exams I have purchased from Cambridge LSAT"

are these 'actual' lsats?

Yes, I cross checked the exams against the 10 Series LSAC books, individual LSAC PTs from a friend--I spent all of yesterday doing this. I can affirm they are indeed the Actual LSAT exams.

Postby 03152016 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:46 am

Last edited by 03152016 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:52 am

toliveNdieNLA wrote:So I am beginning the process of studying for the LSAT and wanted folks opinions on what I have. Essentially, I am wanting a LSAT score of 173+ (Harvard's median at the very least) so that I have a strong chance at HYS. Let me know what you think:

Materials:
Powerscore LG Bible
Powerscore LR Bible
SuperPrep
PT 1-65; these exams I have purchased from Cambridge LSAT.
Manhattan LSAT Reaching Comprehension Guide
June 2007 LSAT (PDF)
LSAT Itemwise (Disclosed Feb. exam from the late 1990s)

Process:
1. Comb through PS LG Bible and do un-timed drilling of game types using exams from 1991 to 2001. Review & dissect questions and answer choices.
2. Review PS LR Bible and do un-timed practice by question types from 1991 to 2001. Review & dissect questions and answer choices.
3. Read and study Manhattan LSAT Reading Comprehension guides. Devise question types templates and practice RC passages from 1991 to 2001. Review & dissect questions and answer choices.
4. Begin time practice of exams 2002 to 2005. Write out explanation's for both right and wrong answers, and aim for 33 min. time limit per section.
5. Begin fully simulated exams, 2006 to 2011, with strict 33 min. time limit and additional experimental section. Redo all games, reading comprehension passages, and Logical Reasoning from this time period until scores are flawless.
6. Will be reading dense academic journals two hours to an hour a day to ensure I won't be blindside with awkward RC passage types and will be using a dictionary to learn any words that are unfamiliar to me in passages.

There is not enough time to get the most out of this routine. It sounds good, but for 90% of the population, this will not get you to your fullest potential by June 2011.

IF you can even keep up, you then run the very real risk of burning out.

You should be open to the possibility of canceling your score and taking it in October.

toliveNdieNLA

Postby toliveNdieNLA » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:05 am

Max324 wrote:70 PTs plus meaningful review, 3 study guides and a daily two hour routine of reading academic journals is highly ambitious for a 14 week timeframe. Make sure you don't burn out; some high scorers improve their numbers after easing off of a grueling schedule. Track your progress and alter your routine as necessary. If you find areas of weakness, don't hesitate to toss out the schedule for a few days so you can target specific areas.

I neglected to note that I am sitting for the October 2012 exam. I am not taking the June exam.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:08 am

toliveNdieNLA wrote:
Max324 wrote:70 PTs plus meaningful review, 3 study guides and a daily two hour routine of reading academic journals is highly ambitious for a 14 week timeframe. Make sure you don't burn out; some high scorers improve their numbers after easing off of a grueling schedule. Track your progress and alter your routine as necessary. If you find areas of weakness, don't hesitate to toss out the schedule for a few days so you can target specific areas.

I neglected to note that I am sitting for the October 2012 exam. I am not taking the June exam.

Then you know what you're doing. Good luck homie.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:46 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:

Yeah...he's got all of the right materials, although I would recommend that he also peek at Kaplain Advanced early in his study. Op should additionally know that the earlier tests won't be as useful for the test he will be takking, so he should practice with those early in the game and then make sure that his last 20+ practice tests are the most recent ones: 43-67.

toliveNdieNLA

Postby toliveNdieNLA » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:35 am

PDaddy wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:

Yeah...he's got all of the right materials, although I would recommend that he also peek at Kaplain Advanced early in his study. Op should additionally know that the earlier tests won't be as useful for the test he will be takking, so he should practice with those early in the game and then make sure that his last 20+ practice tests are the most recent ones: 43-67.

Rodger Doger! Hear you loud and clear with holding off on recent exams and I am cognizant of the differences in questions from old and newer exams.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”