Post prep-class studying: New materials deterimental?

californihuh

Post prep-class studying: New materials deterimental?

Postby californihuh » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:17 pm

So I just finished my prep-class that I was taking. Did it help? Sure did. Now, I'm assuming that I need to drill drill and some more drilling.

I still have my course books which do contain good material that I can refer to in case I don't remember something. But do you think I should also start reviewing the Powerscore LRB/LGB at the same time? There are several terms and strategies that weren't in my prep-class that are in the Bibles that may throw alot of students off (not to mention wasting time reviewing old material). Anyone have any experience on the LGB/LRB AFTER their prep-classes were over?

Sloth Hero

Re: Post prep-class studying: New materials deterimental?

Postby Sloth Hero » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:32 pm

What prep course did you take? :>

But I'd just do your drills, and if/when you run into problems go back and review your powerscore/prep-course books and see which one helps explain it better.

I don't think it will be detrimental. I'm of the belief that a truly high score does /not/ come from adopting a pre-fabricated method, but by crafting/manipulating other methods into one that suits you personally.

bp shinners

Re: Post prep-class studying: New materials deterimental?

Postby bp shinners » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:40 am

Sloth Hero wrote: I'm of the belief that a truly high score does /not/ come from adopting a pre-fabricated method, but by crafting/manipulating other methods into one that suits you personally.

This is a solid observation. While the methods that are taught in class (especially our fantastic, Blueprint methods ;-) ) are there to show you a method that will work for most people, if you can adapt that successfully into something that works for you, all the better.

Two reasons:
First, it works better for you. So, yea.
Second, if you can adapt a tool to your specific needs, it shows that you understand the fundamental logic underlying the creation of the tool. Any method/shortcut/rule of thumb is exploiting a pattern to the logic of the LSAT. Making your own tool is essentially you 'seeing the Matrix'.

That being said, if the methods of your prep course are working for you, I wouldn't bother with another method/book. Just pick up practice tests and questions and use those methods until they're second nature.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”