Managing Prep Expectations

jared6180

Managing Prep Expectations

Postby jared6180 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:41 am

I started with a 142 without ever seeing or reading what the LSAT consisted of. Now I am trying to guide my expectations while I am prepping for the June LSAT. I guess I have high expectations of myself, and I am a little worried I will get another 142-145 and get down on myself. I only have a few days of strong study in and already I am expecting to make leaps and bounds, but the reality is I may not make any gains this early in the game. I am taking an PT this Friday at my UG as part of the Pre-Law club, and I am already expecting a nice upward shift towards high 140s...like 145-148. That may not be reality though! I guess it's a mixture of amped up to do better, and nervous that I will never get better. I have a long ways to go to get to my reach schools LSAT# of 168. I even have a ways to go to get to my safety school LSAT of 157.

Any advice?

Sloth Hero

Re: Managing Prep Expectations

Postby Sloth Hero » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:12 am

jared6180 wrote:Any advice?

Log off TLS and start studying.

KingsBench

Postby KingsBench » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:06 am

jared6180 wrote:I started with a 142 without ever seeing or reading what the LSAT consisted of. Now I am trying to guide my expectations while I am prepping for the June LSAT. I guess I have high expectations of myself, and I am a little worried I will get another 142-145 and get down on myself. I only have a few days of strong study in and already I am expecting to make leaps and bounds, but the reality is I may not make any gains this early in the game. I am taking an PT this Friday at my UG as part of the Pre-Law club, and I am already expecting a nice upward shift towards high 140s...like 145-148. That may not be reality though! I guess it's a mixture of amped up to do better, and nervous that I will never get better. I have a long ways to go to get to my reach schools LSAT# of 168. I even have a ways to go to get to my safety school LSAT of 157.

Any advice?

Keep drilling. With a 142, you need to get comfortable with the format and the questions asked of you for each section of the exam. Use LSAT Blog or pithypike as a guide to what you need to be getting done each week and start section-specific and move onto full PTs. You have a ways to go, but don't let anyone tell you it's not possible to get there - just takes some honest effort. Best of luck!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Also, realize that every point on the LSAT represents a good amount of time investment/practice. It seems like when you learn a new question type, you should go up by the amount of points equal to the number of that question appearing on the test. That's not how it works. You'll still get some of them wrong. The first time, you got some of them right. It takes time and effort to see each point increase, so don't get down on yourself if you 'only' go up by a point or two after a week of studying. That's a good return on the investment.

Also, it's easy to lose sight of your improvements if you only focus on your goal line. Before you get to that 168, you'll have to get to 150. Then 153. Then 156. Etc... View each of those milestones as a great accomplishment; otherwise, you'll quickly get frustrated when you don't jump up those 20 points.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:20 pm

I was exactly in your shoes last July when I started my BP class. 143 diagnostic. I just kept drilling and learning why I chose wrong answer choices, and why the right answers were right. I saw my score increase within 2 months all the way up to 155 but I started to burn out towards the end so I decided to take 2 more months to study and my score shot up to the 160s after prepping and more drilling. At that point, I was re-doing questions and noticing the patterns and the wrong answer choices. On the actual test I got a 158 but I know I was capable of more, so I'm retaking this June and hope to hit the 170s with lots of hard work.

My advice would be to continually focus on getting better, and to work hard. Always study with 100% focus and analyze your mistakes and even the questions you guess on and got right. Also start timing yourself early. I found that timing myself with the actual watch I was going to use on game day helped me a lot to figure out just how much time I had on each section, and where I should be at a certain time in the 35 min bracket.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”