LSAT PT log: 100 days to 180 | 3/18: 178

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:45 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sloth Hero

Re: LSAT Study Log -- June 12 (The 100 Day Journey) 178!!! (3/6)

Postby Sloth Hero » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:38 pm

VasaVasori wrote:So much for 100 days to a 180, more like overnight to a 180!

I am optimistic, but I am also doing older tests. So hopefully experience will outpace test difficulty :>

Sloth Hero

Re: UD: 3/7(177) LSAT Study Log -- June 12 (The 100 Day Journey)

Postby Sloth Hero » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:29 am

Took #14 today, 177. I guess I'm content. The LG mistake was fucking stupid, I should have gotten another 178. Oh well, always room for improvement. Hopefully I'll get a 180 before I hit test #20 :>

LG: Timing was sluggish (33mins), and I got -1 on a STUPID MISTAKE. This is the first time that I've lost pts on an LG section in a while, and it was on a really dumb mistake. This serves as a lil wake up call.

RC: Very easy. The passage on Deconstruction (Derridian) was actually really enjoyable. The science passage was ez.

LR: Timing was 24min and 29min. Both of the problems I got wrong I don't full understand yet. But at least I realize I never really had a convincing argument for my initial answer choice, which further shows I'm not using my time appropriately.

Simplicity

Postby Simplicity » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 am

Sloth Hero wrote:
180asBreath wrote:I don't dispute saying I have a gimmick (I was referring to my thread title "10 Weeks to a 180").

Sorry for derail, OP, I was just confused as to why it was being laughed at.

Oh, and I'm from FSU so can we make our little logs sportly and competitive?

Mostly in jest, though, because IDRC about the Seminoles. Never been to a game, and I wear UF shirts to troll my 'colleagues'.

You sound like a massive douche.

I'm with 941.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:14 pm

Simplicity wrote:
Sloth Hero wrote:
180asBreath wrote:I don't dispute saying I have a gimmick (I was referring to my thread title "10 Weeks to a 180").

Mostly in jest, though, because IDRC about the Seminoles. Never been to a game, and I wear UF shirts to troll my 'colleagues'.

You sound like a massive douche

I'm with 941.
:

I just really don't care about sports-- especially football. But yes, I am a douche.

Sloth Hero

Re: LSAT PT log: 100 days to 180 | 3/18: 178

Postby Sloth Hero » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Took 16 and 18 with a group this weekend. Groups move slower, but have more extensive review. So I traded PT time for Review time.

test 16: Super hungover for this
LG: Very difficult, I struggled to make a major inference on the tigers/lions game, and wasted a lot of time. Barely finished in time limit.
RC: Lacked confidence in my comprehension of two of the passages, which lead me to get main point questions wrong.
LR: Learned a few new things.

Test 18:
LG: Very easy and fast
LR: LR1 was substantially more difficult than LR2, time was more of an issue as well. -3/-0
RC: Easy RC sections. Finished with 5 minutes leftover. The questions I got wrong were the ones I had marked as difficult. It's nice to know my errors in RC don't blindside me as much anymore.

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:43 pm

Simplicity wrote:
Sloth Hero wrote:

You sound like a massive douche.

I'm with 941.

Merely being on TLS means you're a douche. And elitist. (I'd like to think that I'm not, but I doubt I'm the exception to the rule...)

pdeturk

Postby pdeturk » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Sloth Hero wrote:Took 16 and 18 with a group this weekend. Groups move slower, but have more extensive review. So I traded PT time for Review time.

LG: Very difficult, I struggled to make a major inference on the tigers/lions game, and wasted a lot of time. Barely finished in time limit.
RC: Lacked confidence in my comprehension of two of the passages, which lead me to get main point questions wrong.

Test 18:
LR: LR1 was substantially more difficult than LR2, time was more of an issue as well. -3/-0
RC: Easy RC sections. Finished with 5 minutes leftover. The questions I got wrong were the ones I had marked as difficult. It's nice to know my errors in RC don't blindside me as much anymore.

Thank you for doing this. I'm retaking a 167, trying to get into the high 170's and this thread is very encouraging. Good luck on the rest of your prep and please keep posting!

princeR

Postby princeR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:10 pm

Even though your avatar is the amazing Slavoj Zizek I just don't really like you :/

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:06 pm

pdeturk wrote:
Sloth Hero wrote:Took 16 and 18 with a group this weekend. Groups move slower, but have more extensive review. So I traded PT time for Review time.

Test 18:

Thank you for doing this. I'm retaking a 167, trying to get into the high 170's and this thread is very encouraging. Good luck on the rest of your prep and please keep posting!

Good luck man! Let me know how it goes, keep checking in now and then! :)

princeR wrote:Even though your avatar is the amazing Slavoj Zizek I just don't really like you :/

:((( Why not? :(((

soj

Postby soj » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:20 am

Congrats on the great progress! Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged if your score dips suddenly. When it happened to me (several times), I took a few days off and came back strong.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:33 am

Good luck; considering the effort that you're taking to chronicle all of this for us, I'm confident you'll at least score in the 160s.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 am

kerflux wrote:Good luck; considering the effort that you're taking to chronicle all of this for us, I'm confident you'll at least score in the 160s.

Well /if/ I chronicle it and /if/ I do well, it will be a lot easier to give advice to other TLSers, methinks.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:49 am

soj wrote:Congrats on the great progress! Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged if your score dips suddenly. When it happened to me (several times), I took a few days off and came back strong.

Thanks! Yeah, the only dip was due to a hangover, so far. If I have a really off-day, I'll take a few days off, then come back and review the test. Good advice.

princeR

Postby princeR » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:17 pm

Sloth Hero wrote:
soj wrote:Congrats on the great progress! Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged if your score dips suddenly. When it happened to me (several times), I took a few days off and came back strong.

Thanks! Yeah, the only dip was due to a hangover, so far. If I have a really off-day, I'll take a few days off, then come back and review the test. Good advice.

Woah there mr causal flaw ;)

And I don't actually dislike you, I am just extremely jealous and envious of your current scores... almost 3 months and hitting upper 170's, it's not fair lol.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:50 pm

fwiw, when I was doing my PTs, I did almost all of them at Starbucks. Test day seemed serene. I recommend it. You can use earplugs if it gets too hectic, but I think just learning to focus irrespective of what's going on around you confers a definitive advantage.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 pm

kerflux wrote:fwiw, when I was doing my PTs, I did almost all of them at Starbucks. Test day seemed serene. I recommend it. You can use earplugs if it gets too hectic, but I think just learning to focus irrespective of what's going on around you confers a definitive advantage.

I do something similar. I mix it up between taking it at home (serene), library (similar to actual LSAT prob), and Starbucks. Most at Starbucks, except it's annoying because friends will see me (university starbucks) and talk to me, ugh.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:42 pm

princeR wrote:
Sloth Hero wrote:

Woah there mr causal flaw ;)

And I don't actually dislike you, I am just extremely jealous and envious of your current scores... almost 3 months and hitting upper 170's, it's not fair lol.

:) I enjoy the LSAT! I kind of look forward to taking the practice exams. I've just done a lot of dedicated work, and a lot of group-review with other 170+ kids. I'm sure you'll get up here. ;)

Oh and I read Deleuze/Hume/Nietzsche, so I reject causality as a fictitious oppressive mechanism.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:20 am

Hey keep up the great work!
I am also very determined to get a 180 on the LSAT this June, but so far my best diagnostic (I've taken two) is 171. Unfortunately, I have no study group to meet with either, which I feel would help me immensely, especially since there is one problem I've encountered that I still do not understand. (anyone in the L.A. area?? Let me know!)

Your progress is inspiring as it seems harder to improve a score the closer to 180 one gets. I need to cut down on stupid mistakes, solidify my logical reasoning skills (especially parallel reasoning) and not worry about time to during CR as I usually end with 3-6 minutes left and still miss questions by not properly going back in the passage and finding the answer.

I will probably never be able to do the sections as quickly as you, which I am okay with, but I hope to keep up with your rate of progress (hungover tests aside).

Cheers!

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:07 am

Micdiddy wrote:Your progress is inspiring as it seems harder to improve a score the closer to 180 one gets.

Yeah, it's /really/ hard :(. The questions I get wrong generally trick me hardcore -- but hopefully with review and tons of practice/exposure I'll be able to spot these bad boys. For LR it's generally 1 ??? error, 1 misinterpretation, and 2 very difficult tricky questions. All three of these can be ironed out with practice I hope :<

And remember, I'm doing earlier tests, so my 178's probably scale down to like a 173-174 on the newer ones? IDK. Either way, I'm just hoping my studies outpace the increase in test difficulty -- especially with RC :evil:

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Sloth Hero wrote:
And remember, I'm doing earlier tests, so my 178's probably scale down to like a 173-174 on the newer ones? IDK. Either way, I'm just hoping my studies outpace the increase in test difficulty -- especially with RC :evil:

I'm doing the earlier tests right now too. I feel their increased difficulty is overhyped, seeing as it is standardized and all, but I could be wrong.
I know what you mean when it comes to LR questions, usually I can anticipate which ones I will get wrong, but sometimes there is one out of the blue. Twice now I have found it was out of the blue because I didn't actually read the whole answer, as it started off seemingly completely off base, but then ends with some random small detail that makes it technically true. At least that MUST be an easy problem to fix right :)

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Sloth Hero wrote:

I'm doing the earlier tests right now too. I feel their increased difficulty is overhyped, seeing as it is standardized and all, but I could be wrong.
I know what you mean when it comes to LR questions, usually I can anticipate which ones I will get wrong, but sometimes there is one out of the blue. Twice now I have found it was out of the blue because I didn't actually read the whole answer, as it started off seemingly completely off base, but then ends with some random small detail that makes it technically true. At least that MUST be an easy problem to fix right :)

I don't think they are actually less difficult (except RC maybe) -- but the scale is generally more forgiving. Probably because that took the exam then had fewer practice tests to use, and less material to hone their pointless (jk) skills.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Sloth Hero wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Sloth Hero wrote:

I don't think they are actually less difficult (except RC maybe) -- but the scale is generally more forgiving. Probably because that took the exam then had fewer practice tests to use, and less material to hone their pointless (jk) skills.

I suppose that makes sense. Is the scale objectively drawn based on how well the test-takers scored that year? Or subjective based on how easy the test-makers deem their creation to be? One could foresee if the former is true a better raw score from an overall wiser person could get a worse scaled score than an inferior test-taker months if the first person happened to take the test at a time when an increased percentage of smarter people took it.
So, if the scale is harsher nowadays its because smarter people are taking the test, which makes sense since LSAT submissions have dropped significantly two years in a row, presumably a larger percentage of people who have performed poorly simply deciding not to test at all.

princeR

Postby princeR » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:49 pm

What happened Sloth, where you at?

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:32 pm

princeR wrote:What happened Sloth, where you at?

+1

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”