100 Days until June 2012 LSAT... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SingleLadies

New

Re: 100 Days until June 2012 LSAT...

Post by SingleLadies » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:09 pm

I would be down for that^

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:10 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:I know it's against board policy to discuss specific questions but it may be beneficial for us to set up an email group that we can bounce questions off each other during our practices. It is a given that we will all encounter the same questions and that there will be inevitable questions that we will find difficult.

Just a thought.
Definitely.

bubc

New

Post by bubc » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Agreed, I think that would be a good idea as well. Bare with me as I lay out my study plans...I feel as though I need to write it in this thread so I remember it, and more importantly, actually do it.

As far as improving for the June test, I'm a little at a loss as to where/how to study. See, I was doing really well until 1) I was getting burned out 2) I realized that the newer tests (particularly reading comp) is a heck of a lot different than the older tests. For instance, on the old reading comp I would get -2 or -3 regularly. On the new ones, I could get -6, -7 because I get bogged down by passages. I do have an affinity for the section, however, so if anyone has a suggestion on how to study for the new tests (particularly reading comprehension), I would really appreciate it.

Although logic games have never been my favorite section, I was definitely steadily improving the more games I did. I got through the first GROUPED BY TYPE for logic games and was working on the second before I took the test, so I'm going to finish the second GROUPED BY TYPE and then do both books again for the test. In other words, my strategy is drilling. I want to be able to get a perfect score on this section by test day, even though I started out barely being able to finish two games correctly within the time limit. I suggest this method for others as well because I will tell you, there was a point where I couldn't get a single inference correct and after a month of doing this method I was getting 13-15 correct. After another two weeks I was getting 18 correct. Of course this is for us mere mortals who were not magically born with the logic games gene and can average -0 without fail each time. This method helped me with both accuracy and time.

Now as for LR--this one I am unsure of. I feel that I have a natural affinity for this section as well but I seemed to have been declining in scores closer to game day, but I'm really not sure if its because I was getting burned out. This used to be my favorite section, but I'm not so sure anymore. For this section, I will go back to the basics. I have the Outside LSAT book (I took the course) which outlines question types and strategies. I also have the Advanced LSAT hardest questions book (which I really recommend). So what I will do is take a diagnostic section or two, type each question I got wrong, and find a pattern, then drill like hell with the hardest questions. If I can get the hardest questions right, I should be able to get the easy ones right as well.

In my opinion, I both PT'd too hard and not enough. I don't think people should do more than 2 practice tests a week, especially if you get burned out. I think, after reviewing what I could have done differently the last time around, was that I tried to get through the drilling so I could just take practice sections, and then practice tests. But the drilling is extremely important. So drilling shouldn't stop just because I am taking practice tests, and because its easy to get burned out with both drilling and more than two practice tests a week, I will not do more than 2 a week. Furthermore, I think that reviewing should be a priority over anything else. I will now go over each practice test twice, and scribble in why I got an answer right or wrong.

By May, I hope to be PT-ing at 170 or high 160's regularly. By June I hope to get a 180, but I am also a dreamer.

And think of it this way, at least you don't have to do GRE sentence completions. We get to find holes in arguments! That's fun if you think about it. If its not fun for you then, well, you may want to reconsider a career in law.

And (sorry for the long message, but I'm a long time lurker and have a lot to say) don't get discouraged by those who post their disappointments with scores like 170. Maybe they're just better test takers. Maybe they had a better education or perhaps they are even smarter (although with some of the ridiculously ego-centric rhetoric in this forum, I tend to doubt it), but it is certainly achievable. Keep your eye on the ball, set small goals, overcome small difficulties, and allow this to accumulate and result in a high improvement. And most of all, even if you don't get your target score, remember your diagnostic, how impossible improving seemed, and how well you're doing now. If you can get here, you can get there.

Okay. I will halt in barraging you with platitudes.

TunnelVision

New

Post by TunnelVision » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:59 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:I know it's against board policy to discuss specific questions but it may be beneficial for us to set up an email group that we can bounce questions off each other during our practices. It is a given that we will all encounter the same questions and that there will be inevitable questions that we will find difficult.

Just a thought.
I'm totally down for this. I think it'd even be a good idea if we could organize a small group that takes the same tests every week so we're all working at the same pace.

pizzabrosauce

New

Post by pizzabrosauce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:07 am

TunnelVision wrote:I'm totally down for this. I think it'd even be a good idea if we could organize a small group that takes the same tests every week so we're all working at the same pace.
Very down for this.
We can help each other if someone misses, but others get the answer right.
I have PT 41-65 to do, minus 47,49, 56.
How about u guys?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TunnelVision

New

Post by TunnelVision » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:21 am

I have every test available. I've worked through A,B,C,1,2,3 and some other teens tests. I figured I'd save the rest of the single digit tests to add in as an experimental section for my timed tests. I'm going to try mixing in some more recent tests soon though. Right now, I am working timed and untimed sections after plateauing in the mid 160's for the timed tests I did. But my pace right now is about 2-3 tests a week, and will probably be more like 4 as June nears. Once my semester ends in May I'll be working the LSAT nonstop. Anyway, I'm certainly willing to revise my schedule if we get a group going so we're all on the same page.

jared6180

Bronze

Post by jared6180 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:30 am

I have PT 29-38. When should I take the first one?

My UG is doing a free diagnostic this Friday, and then a follow up appointment the next week to discuss. Coming from a 142, hoping for 145+ on this one. I only have 3 good days in currently, but plan to have 6 days of strong study by Friday. I have a big test in one of my UG classes, I will probably skip an LSAT study day Wednesday for the Thursday exam.

One of my biggest problems is my confidence, and that is because I am not sure how to manage my expectations for a test like this.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:40 am

Can everyone do a Google Group? I can set it up tonight.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en& ... lsat-study

^^^^

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm so joining the google group!

I'm a retaker from December and I scored a 158. I really hope I can get at least a 165. I know I'm capable of at least a 161 (well from December at least) but now that I got rejected from my top choice, I'm back into studying. It's been difficult but I laid out a study plan and I'm going to use my Blueprint books again. I just have to remember that I already know the material, it's just a matter of reviewing and drilling. I wish I could start off where I left off in December but I feel like I have to start from the very beginning now.

I only have 8 new PTs left. I will probably redo some of my older PTs that I already did but I could use all the motivation I can get!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:11 pm

TunnelVision wrote:

Just a thought.
I'm totally down for this. I think it'd even be a good idea if we could organize a small group that takes the same tests every week so we're all working at the same pace.
I don't know if this is helpful:

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/lsat-test-explanations.cfm

But i LOVE using the website... it only has explanations for the most "commonly" missed questions... so it doesn't have every Q... but... yeah :)

dborne1

New

Post by dborne1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Registered today for the June Test. Starting to plan my study regimen now. The problem is, I don't think I can afford a prep class, so I guess I'll be studying on my own. I took a timed PT for the first time with no prep and no expectations and got a 155, so I think I'll be shooting for high 160's on test day.

My worry is that I probably won't be doing a prep class. Is studying on your own with all the recommended books from the sticky on this forum significantly worse than taking a class?

Also, this is my first post on this board, hopefully the first in a long line.

Thanks for any advice and good luck studying everyone!

Sloth Hero

Bronze

Post by Sloth Hero » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:10 pm

dborne1 wrote:Registered today for the June Test. Starting to plan my study regimen now. The problem is, I don't think I can afford a prep class, so I guess I'll be studying on my own. I took a timed PT for the first time with no prep and no expectations and got a 155, so I think I'll be shooting for high 160's on test day.

My worry is that I probably won't be doing a prep class. Is studying on your own with all the recommended books from the sticky on this forum significantly worse than taking a class?

Also, this is my first post on this board, hopefully the first in a long line.

Thanks for any advice and good luck studying everyone!
Prep courses are for kids who lack discipline. You are much better off studying by yourself, developing your own method, and figuring out problems by yourself. Any situational guidance you require can be fulfilled by this board.

And don't ever think about putting a cap on your expectations this early. Plenty of people have gone from 150's to 170's, it just takes a lot of work. After you do the LRB, LGB, Manhattan RC, and have taken 20+ prep tests, then we can talk about expectations. :)

dborne1

New

Post by dborne1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanks sloth^^ that makes me feel better, I think Ill buy the study books now. You guys will definitely be hearing from me when questions arise, and it's great to know that there is a community like this to help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

refuse2lose

New

Post by refuse2lose » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:01 pm

Currently 96 days out, I'm a little behind on my plan. I'm not going to post my entire plan, but I'll post the basics and I'd appreciate any feedback. I've only taken 1 PT. That was in late December and was completely blind, I scored a 154. I currently have a 3.82 GPA, that when adjusted by the LSAC will probably be closer to a 3.7. My top schools/dream schools are Virginia, Texas, Vanderbilt, and WashU in St. Louis. Therefore I need to get my score into at least the upper 160s.

I currently have about 90 pages left in the Logical Reasoning Bible. I've only completed 1/3 of the LG Bible (but I'm averaging -2 on LG sections) and I haven't started the Reading Comp Bible. My goal is to complete the LRB in the next two weeks and then to working back through the LRB a chapter at a time and doing the corresponding question type sections from the Cambridge Logical Reasoning workbook. I plan to work through each bible using this strategy and in the next few weeks I will be implementing timed and untimed (2-4 a week) practice sections. By May I should be done working through all 3 Bibles and for the last 6 weeks will focus solely on various forms of practice tests and sections (normal style, shortened time sections, 6 sections PT's, etc). At the 10 week mark I plan on hitting the PT's hard and will complete at least 20 of the most recent PTs by test day.

I know that was really scrambled, so I'm sorry about that. Please ask me if you have any questions. I'd appreciate any feedback on my plan, good or bad. Lastly, do you think this is sufficient preparation for me to reach my goal?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”