Foreseeable issues with this study plan?

tronimrich

Foreseeable issues with this study plan?

Postby tronimrich » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:21 am

Starting March 5th I'll begin my study regimen. Instead of purchasing material on how to approach RC I'll be reading various sources to challenge my reading speed. http://plato.stanford.edu/contents.html For example.

Month 1: Read the rest of the LRB (I'm on chapter 6). PT 1-20 I'll split up and cover strictly the LR sections. Fine tuning and reviewing each problem type.
Month 2: Read/complete LGB. Similarly to the above I'll be splitting up the first 20 PTs to cover only LGs.
Month 3: More fine-tuning on problem types giving me the most trouble. Here is when I will take the most recent PTs and time them.

During months 1 and 2 I plan on taking 1 PT a week, untimed, but taking note on how long it takes me to complete each.

I feel that instead of combining both LR and LG during the first two months, like Pithypike suggested, I allow myself to fully understand the information. While this may be the my optimal learning pathway, does anyone figure this strategy is counter-intuitive? Is there any reason behind Pithypike's strategy in covering LR and LB at the same time other than scheduling?

lawyerwannabe

Re: Foreseeable issues with this study plan?

Postby lawyerwannabe » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:33 am

tronimrich wrote:Starting March 5th I'll begin my study regimen. Instead of purchasing material on how to approach RC I'll be reading various sources to challenge my reading speed. http://plato.stanford.edu/contents.html For example.

Month 1: Read the rest of the LRB (I'm on chapter 6). PT 1-20 I'll split up and cover strictly the LR sections. Fine tuning and reviewing each problem type.
Month 2: Read/complete LGB. Similarly to the above I'll be splitting up the first 20 PTs to cover only LGs.
Month 3: More fine-tuning on problem types giving me the most trouble. Here is when I will take the most recent PTs and time them.

During months 1 and 2 I plan on taking 1 PT a week, untimed, but taking note on how long it takes me to complete each.

I feel that instead of combining both LR and LG during the first two months, like Pithypike suggested, I allow myself to fully understand the information. While this may be the my optimal learning pathway, does anyone figure this strategy is counter-intuitive? Is there any reason behind Pithypike's strategy in covering LR and LB at the same time other than scheduling?

Take what I say with a grain of salt though (currently sleep deprived):

Studying just LR one month and then just LG the next month is, IMO, an awful idea. When I was preparing to take the LSAT, I neglected by strongest section (LG) for two weeks. When I started practicing LG sections again, I was not doing nearly as well. By neglecting even my strongest test section, I had forgotten precisely how to ace this section.

* Suggested revision: listen to Pithypike

MLBrandow

Postby MLBrandow » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:04 am

tronimrich,

I would discourage you from using PTs 1-20 to prep with for two months because then you'll have one month with which to use the other 50 available tests.

Figure out how many PTs you plan to take before the test, then from there work from least oldest tests you have.

For example, if you plan to take PTs 50-65 until test day, use PTs 30-49 to pull questions from in studying.

The LSAT from 20 years ago, although still considered the "modern LSAT" was a bit different than it is today.

I would discourage you from using a month for each bible. If you want to spend a month on each section, that's fine. For the LG Bible, I skimmed through it over a few hours and gleaned most of the useful information from it. Being exposed to the potential game setups and game types will probably be enough for you to start getting your feet wet. For the LR Bible, I would simply read/skim over a section or the section reviews and then proceed to LR sections or drilling LR by question type (which I think is better). In the time you save from scrupulously reading the bibles, you could just do hundreds more questions.

There's nothing inherently wrong with focusing your efforts on one section followed by another. However, I recommend doing games first, as I feel they are the easiest to "maintain" once you've sufficiently mastered them. Then, while you are drilling LR you can simply do a few games every day or so and stay on your A-game. I agree with lawyerwannabe insofar as drilling a section exclusively is not going to make the most of your prep time. Focus your efforts as narrowly as possible for maximum gains, but don't completely ignore a section after you've studied it. Otherwise, those skills will quickly atrophy.

Good luck!

tronimrich

Postby tronimrich » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks for the input. I've since changed my expected approach to conform a bit to Pithypike's schedule, with respect to my optimal study habits.

Also, if it makes a difference, my PTs go from #19-#45. So Basically 1996-2004. Sorry for the mix-up in the first post.

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:00 pm

May work differently for you, but here are some of my experiences from my study schedule:

1. Mix up the sections as you study instead of dedicating one month separately for each section. This is because, with the later method you will become too comfortable with one section and lose fundamentals of the others.

2. Drill questions from preptests you choose to use as sources for questions. Then try to do the number of problems which correspond to a section in one sitting (4 games, 25 LR questions, 4 RC passages). In some instances you may choose to do more to build endurance.

3. Segregate question types and attack them individually. Here is where the Cambridge By Type texts were great because they already do this for you and organize by difficulty. But there are classifications in for all sections in this forum which you can use and do by yourself as well.

Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”