Having trouble understanding this LR Questions...

Hoocheez
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Having trouble understanding this LR Questions...

Postby Hoocheez » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:58 pm

Prompt: The number of Canadian adults who live in relative poverty – that is, who make less money than do 85% of Canadian adults their age – is steadily increasing according to four major studies conducted over the past 15 years.

Stem: If the finding reported above is correct, it can be properly concluded that

A) When four major studies all produce similar results, those studies must be accurate

B) Canadian adults have worked progressively less over the past 15 years

C) The number of Canadian adults who are not living in relative poverty increased over the past 15 years

D) Over the past 15 years, the number of Canadian adults who are rich has declined

E) The incidence of relative poverty in Canadian adults tends to increase as the adults get older.






C is the correct answer.

C definitely makes the most sense after reading deeply into statistics and making sense of the whole thing. However, E makes sense as well (I think). If I conducted a test over the last 15 years, those that were 30 years old at year 0 are now 45 at year 15. During these fifteen years, the relative poverty in Canadian adults increased. Therefore, the incidence of relative poverty in Canadian adults increased as adults aged, i.e as they were sampled or whatever over the span of 15 years. I feel like I'm missing something....

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Having trouble understanding this LR Questions...

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:04 pm

Don't quote preptest questions here. It's against forum policy.

P.S. It has nothing to do with individual people aging. It has to do with an increasing total population. If the number of people in the bottom 15% is increasing, the total number of people has to be increasing. Therefore, the top 85% is also increasing. (Think of it like a pie. The angle--percentage--of the 15% pie slice isn't getting bigger, but the slice of pie is getting bigger. Therefore, the rest of the pie--the 85%--must also be getting bigger.)

User avatar
Mr.Binks
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Having trouble understanding this LR Questions...

Postby Mr.Binks » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:07 pm

IBTL

VasaVasori
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 pm

.

Postby VasaVasori » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:48 pm

.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: StopLawying and 7 guests