October LSAT/Applying Early? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
doclover

New

October LSAT/Applying Early?

Post by doclover » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:48 pm

It sounds like applying early is my best shot at getting into any school I'm serious about. I know it takes approx. a month to get LSAT scores back, so would taking the LSAT in October be inadvisable? How about if I have applications essentially complete ahead of time and can send them off the moment I get my score?

I'm afraid that rushing my studies and taking the LSAT in June (I currently work full-time) might not be conducive to getting an excellent score. Any ideas on which is the better option?

Thank you!

zapcaz

Bronze

Re: October LSAT/Applying Early?

Post by zapcaz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:49 pm

doclover wrote:It sounds like applying early is my best shot at getting into any school I'm serious about. I know it takes approx. a month to get LSAT scores back, so would taking the LSAT in October be inadvisable? How about if I have applications essentially complete ahead of time and can send them off the moment I get my score?

I'm afraid that rushing my studies and taking the LSAT in June (I currently work full-time) might not be conducive to getting an excellent score. Any ideas on which is the better option?

Thank you!
You will be fine if you take in Oct. and submit as soon as the scores come in. Most apps will have only been open for a month or two so you will still be early enough!

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:50 pm

doclover wrote:It sounds like applying early is my best shot at getting into any school I'm serious about. I know it takes approx. a month to get LSAT scores back, so would taking the LSAT in October be inadvisable? How about if I have applications essentially complete ahead of time and can send them off the moment I get my score?

Thank you!
Applying early is not as important as having a high LSAT.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:55 pm

I did the October LSAT, had my apps out by Thanksgiving, and got in to pretty much every school I thought I would (and was even pleasantly surprised by a couple). You can still be "early" even if you do the October LSAT. Many schools have a mid-November ED deadline.

doclover

New

Post by doclover » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm

t14fanboy wrote:

Thank you!
Applying early is not as important as having a high LSAT.
This makes sense. I suppose that while I'm waiting (in the month of October) I can put the finishing touches on the applications, anyway.

I'm a little worried about the burnout factor, should I start studying now - I already have - and study all the way through to the October LSAT. Is 10-15 hours a week going to be too much to sustain?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:55 pm

10-15 hours a week won't be that bad - that's how much in-class LSAT time we schedule, plus there's about an equal amount of homework on top of that. It's a lighter load, but you're studying for a longer period of time.

However, watch out for 2 things:

1) Running out of material - pace yourself with the practice tests so that you don't go into that last month without anything left to do

2) Getting sick of the LSAT - it's hard enough to stay focused over 3 months, let alone 7. Make a schedule now that involves a week or so every other month away from the test.

First step now should be making that schedule.

doclover

New

Post by doclover » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:01 pm

bp shinners wrote:10-15 hours a week won't be that bad - that's how much in-class LSAT time we schedule, plus there's about an equal amount of homework on top of that. It's a lighter load, but you're studying for a longer period of time.

However, watch out for 2 things:

1) Running out of material - pace yourself with the practice tests so that you don't go into that last month without anything left to do

2) Getting sick of the LSAT - it's hard enough to stay focused over 3 months, let alone 7. Make a schedule now that involves a week or so every other month away from the test.

First step now should be making that schedule.
Perfect. I like that idea about a week away from the test once a month. I think that will help a lot. Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”