Dealing With Family Loss...And LSAT

toliveNdieNLA

Dealing With Family Loss...And LSAT

Postby toliveNdieNLA » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:43 pm

I hesitate to post because what I am dealing with hurts, but I am trying to navigate my life after recently losing an immediate family member. So posting here, maybe the first step towards doing that. I am a long-time TLS lurker and felt the need to post because this family loss is derailing my progress on the LSAT. In short, it would be nice to get some prospective and encouragement from you all.

I recently knocked out my undergraduate education with over a 3.9+ GPA. I am 24-years-old and felt behind because of my age, that is I should have been done with college and in law school by now. It was my plan to diligently prepare for the June 12' exam using the PS Bibles, SuperPrep, PT 25-65. I thought it would be all roses and daffodils, however, I don't know if I can gain any traction, at least now, on the LSAT studying. In short, this death stings. I find myself spending more time with my family and a counselor to get through this, rightfully so, I know.

In the recesses of my mind, while getting through this troubling time, my thoughts haven't strayed away from going to law school. I know, deep inside my heart, all that separates me from going to law school is the LSAT-everything else about my application, I feel, will be solid.

My problem is I feel defeated. I lost someone who I grew up with, shared many highs and lows with. Further, my plans with the LSAT and more broadly, applying this upcoming cycle, I feel are crumbling because I am grieving.

bruss

Re: Dealing With Family Loss...And LSAT

Postby bruss » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Remember law school will always be there, but the ability to handle this situation the correct way will not always be so "easy". When I say easy I mean having family and friends feel your pain and have empathy. Take this time to heal the right way, with family and friends by your side, not worrying about a silly test that will always be there.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm sorry for your loss. If this would be your first time taking the LSAT, I would still sit for it. June is a long time away, and if you feel like you under performed, you can retake it, and hopefully by then your grief will be more manageable. But don't sacrifice spending time with your family and taking time yourself to heal in order to take the June test. Study when you can while healing, but don't push it and don't stress out about the test. If you retake (or take for the first time) in October, you can still apply for the same cycle, too.
Also, don't worry about your age. 24 is nothing. I think the average age of an entering law student is between 24 and 26, so you're golden there. Even if you need to take an extra year to feel ready, you'll still be fine, age wise.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:08 pm

All the responses have been great. You must prioritize and spend time with your family to not only help yourself heal, but to be there for your family as well. Just as much as you need them in this troubling time, they need you as well.

If, however, you find that when you are alone, you deal with your loved one's death in a destructive manner (e.g., substance abuse to mask the pain, etc.) you may try to devote some of that time into studying in order to take your mind off of it. I lost my grandfather a few days before the June 2011 LSAT and found myself coping with his death in a very unhealthy manner. To avoid doing so, I would devote time to keeping my mind off of it by either studying, hanging with friends, etc. This is definitely not to say that you shouldn't mourn his/her death, however. Take the time needed to recover fully and be supportive for your family.

in2win

Postby in2win » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:26 pm

sorry to hear about your loss.

i say this seriously and not trying to be insensitive to your situation at all, but why not bust your ass studying for the LSAT and dedicate your performance to the person you lost? maybe you'll find some motivation from the loss you have suffered and you have the opportunity to make that person proud of you

edit: taking too long to mourn over a things you have no control over can sometimes be unhealthy. I know that from personal experience. try to make something positive out of you situation.

lawstudent99

Postby lawstudent99 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:06 pm

I created a new account because I really don't like sharing personal info on here, but I felt like I could offer you some advice.

My best friend was killed the night before I was going to take the LSAT in 09. I had a whole plan of how I was going to go to law school right after undergrad and even after hearing the news of his death I was still determined to take the test the next morning. When I woke up to go I could not get myself out of bed and there was no way I was going to take the LSAT. It took me about 3 months to fully feel normal and even then you will still not feel whole. I dismissed any thought of going to law school during that time and decided to just focus on myself and school. I planned out what I would do for a year between college and law school and did not look at the LSAT until August. I eventually took it in October and December of 2010 and was able to get a great score.

While it would be ideal for you to take the June test and get all of your apps in early, it is not necessary. Take the next couple of months to take care of yourself and come back to the LSAT in the summer. Law school will still be there and you are in a situation where taking the LSAT later will not delay your start of law school.

toliveNdieNLA

Postby toliveNdieNLA » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks for your help everyone. I feel a lot better. I have a lot going for me with my GPA, resume, and life story. I will take time to recover and lightly prepare for the LSAT in the meantime. It is my hope and desire to be ready to go by October. Thanks again to all those who posted and for the encouraging messages I received via private inbox.

camero

Postby camero » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:20 am

I've been prepping for the LSAT for 6 months now & I'm 35 years old. I've been working as an accountant for the last 10 years , and recently decided I wanted to go back to school and become an attorney. Last year I decided to start prepping for the LSAT and my score is just about where I need it. Due to a terrible car accident my sister just passed away and I feel conflicted about what to do. I now find it hard to concentrate without thinking of my sisters horrible passing, along with the children she is leaving behind (two 4year olds, 15, 16, & 20 year old). And she wasn't married. Worried about the kids getting split up amongest the two fathers of my sisters children. I'm 6 weeks away from the September LSAT test. I'm Thinking of not sitting for the September test & taking the December test instead. I know my family wants me near and I want to go home. But my family members are the exact same people who have been giving me emotional support to pursue law school. I feel that if I don't sit for the test that this will be just one more thing that will bring my family members down during this very unfortunate loss. But if I don't go back home and at least stick around for a couple of weeks I'm worried others will feel I'm leaving them behind to deal with our families most recent tragedy.

Ilovemydogxo

Postby Ilovemydogxo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:55 am

The best advice I can give you is that nothing you do can bring that person back. It's okay to grieve for a while, but eventually you have to move on and focus on what is important in your life. Keep your chin up and kill the LSAT (no pun intended).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”