Overwhelmed

CorkBoard

Overwhelmed

Postby CorkBoard » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:45 pm

I'm a retaker. I've started studying for June already, but there are points in my studying where I feel overwhelmed by the whole process of this test. I'm doing fairly well on the sections I've been studying so far, going perfect in nearly every section I've done so far.

I understand the concepts of the test, but I feel swamped by the whole process. I sometimes worry that I'm not going to be able to perform well and implement the stuff I've already learned and put it to work on test day. I've registered for Velocity and have started the program, but I still don't really feel as confident in my abilities as I'd like to.

What are some ways you have built confidence before going into the test? I failed miserably at this for the Dec. test and I know it had an adverse effect on my score, hence the reason I'm retaking. I know I will have more studying and practice under my belt, but I want to be able to really perform well and I'm worried that feeling overwhelmed will take its toll on me again in June :? .

Onthebrink

Re: Overwhelmed

Postby Onthebrink » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Take care of yourself my friend. That is the best advice I can give you. We all get that the LSAT is incredibly important and that you would be a fool not to do everything in your power to prep for it. That being said, if you are feeling overwhelmed well then the best thing for you is probably a break. How often are you studying? If you are prepping for June I would suggest you only hit a few sections a week if that and then start to ramp it up as you closer to June. Make sure to reward yourself, your favorite meal after an LSAT study day. Go work out. Go to a movie. Go have fun with a significant other. LSAT is important, but don't let it own your life. You'll perform a lot better if you are able to relax a bit. Best of luck!

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:58 pm

I agree with the post above me about taking a break. There's still plenty of time before June, so while it's a good idea to practice/study, you shouldn't be doing it enough to significantly stress you out in February.

Also, on the day of the test remind yourself of how dumb everyone else in the room with you is. It's like imagining the audience in their underwear, except you don't have to pretend.

Ok, only one of those suggestions is really helpful.

DonnaDraper

Postby DonnaDraper » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:33 pm

If there was any time to take it easy and not study as heavily, it's now (at least in my opinion). Really take your time to analyze the questions and don't try to get through too much. Go slow, steady and relaxed but think about the questions. When I studied for October, I dedicated mid June-July to RC and Games, mid July to mid August on LR. I did not even start taking practice tests until mid-August and was probably studying very intensely for the last month. I also think that you should use some of this relaxation time to read books, articles, newspapers, whatever. Read. Read. Read.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:36 pm

Onthebrink wrote:Take care of yourself my friend. That is the best advice I can give you. We all get that the LSAT is incredibly important and that you would be a fool not to do everything in your power to prep for it. That being said, if you are feeling overwhelmed well then the best thing for you is probably a break. How often are you studying? If you are prepping for June I would suggest you only hit a few sections a week if that and then start to ramp it up as you closer to June. Make sure to reward yourself, your favorite meal after an LSAT study day. Go work out. Go to a movie. Go have fun with a significant other. LSAT is important, but don't let it own your life. You'll perform a lot better if you are able to relax a bit. Best of luck!

I'm studying every day for 2+ hours. I just have to find a way to relax and destress so I don't freak out. I'm trying to think of ways to do that. I work out 3-4 times a week, but I'm worrying about it in the daytime. This might sound bizarre, but I work full time and I feel like every hour I'm here is detracting from studying for the LSAT. I am probably overthinking the whole thing. I just feel a lot of pressure to do well as I have a big perfectionist type personality and I am most likely going to be a splitter.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:45 pm

CorkBoard wrote:
Onthebrink wrote:Take care of yourself my friend. That is the best advice I can give you. We all get that the LSAT is incredibly important and that you would be a fool not to do everything in your power to prep for it. That being said, if you are feeling overwhelmed well then the best thing for you is probably a break. How often are you studying? If you are prepping for June I would suggest you only hit a few sections a week if that and then start to ramp it up as you closer to June. Make sure to reward yourself, your favorite meal after an LSAT study day. Go work out. Go to a movie. Go have fun with a significant other. LSAT is important, but don't let it own your life. You'll perform a lot better if you are able to relax a bit. Best of luck!

I'm studying every day for 2+ hours. I just have to find a way to relax and destress so I don't freak out. I'm trying to think of ways to do that. I work out 3-4 times a week, but I'm worrying about it in the daytime. This might sound bizarre, but I work full time and I feel like every hour I'm here is detracting from studying for the LSAT. I am probably overthinking the whole thing. I just feel a lot of pressure to do well as I have a big perfectionist type personality and I am most likely going to be a splitter.

Literally, you need to have a few days off. I would designate Mondays, Fridays and Sundays as rest days. If you're truly passionate and want the best score possible, you need to take a break. It's like someone who works out to get big;they need to rest their muscles so that they can see progress. Working everyday at it may seem, intuitively, productive, but it's really not.

In short, you need days off. Play video games, eat hot Cheetos, sit on the shitter, have a hangover; feel like a piece of shit sometimes so you'll come back revived and fresh into your next prep day. You shouldn't kill yourself over the test, rather kill the test over yourself. HTh

EDIT* I'm in the same boat as you. I've been studying since October and it's all that I think about. This is the type of advice I got as well. I also work 40 hours a week, at a mindless job. Oh and one last thing, sleep. SLEEP YOUR ASS IN AND DONT LOOK BACK. Some of the smartest people I know slept all damn day long and studied for a few hours later in the day.

alink09

Postby alink09 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Hey, fellow perfectionist and probable splitter here! I just started studying last week, I was extremely anxious before my diagnostic because I was worried I was going to do awful and realize I had no hope of doing well on the LSAT, that definitely hindered my performance just on the diagnostic because I was convinced I couldn't do well, I can't imagine what the effect would be on a real test. Anyway, I'm trying to get over my perfectionist tendencies and just dedicate some time to learning the test, I'm starting off slow right now, going to my LSAT class and working through the powerscore bibles, and not pressuring myself to do everything at once or get some unattainable score. Instead I am making sure I am taking the time to master the basic strategies and learn the different rules behind the logic games. I am not going to do another full-length, timed practice test until I feel like I have a basic understanding of everything. I think that the less pressure you put on yourself now, the better you will do. Now, come May, I'll probably be taking practice tests like crazy and putting a lot of pressure on myself, but right now it's only February, so you should definitely just relax and take it one step at a time!

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Corky, I think that your confidence will shoot up when all of your preparation starts coming together in PTs. I feel very little confidence at the moment also, but I feel substantially more confident than I did going into December. When your high performance on your specific sections translates into high performance on PTs consistently, then you'll quickly gain confidence!

Also, it's pretty important to approach PTs as a learning experience more so than just testing, I feel. I made the mistake of looking at PTs merely as indicators of my progress rather than also areas where I could use improvement and a chance to understand exactly what trips me up.

Good luck! <3

johnnybgood

Postby johnnybgood » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Just release the tension

Simplicity

Postby Simplicity » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Just stop caring so much. That's what I did. I worked hard to ensure that I would score as high possible, but I convinced myself that, if for some reason I didn't do well, it really wasn't a big deal. And it worked. At least until my last section on the Dec test, which was RC. lol

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Simplicity wrote:Just stop caring so much. That's what I did. I worked hard to ensure that I would score as high possible, but I convinced myself that, if for some reason I didn't do well, it really wasn't a big deal. And it worked. At least until my last section on the Dec test, which was RC. lol

Brutal RC :oops: :oops: :oops: . I actually mentioned this to someone about how if I went into it not caring as much that I would have been better off. Hindsight is 20/20.

princeR

Postby princeR » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:46 pm

You need to get laid.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:57 pm

princeR wrote:You need to get laid.

Probs.

Simplicity

Postby Simplicity » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:02 pm

CorkBoard wrote:
Simplicity wrote:Just stop caring so much. That's what I did. I worked hard to ensure that I would score as high possible, but I convinced myself that, if for some reason I didn't do well, it really wasn't a big deal. And it worked. At least until my last section on the Dec test, which was RC. lol

Brutal RC :oops: :oops: :oops: . I actually mentioned this to someone about how if I went into it not caring as much that I would have been better off. Hindsight is 20/20.

Actually, I was retaking from June. :D I made the same mistake the first time - I went into the June test totally unprepared and nervous, and I underperformed. Unfortunately, I didn't find this forum until after I took the June test. After actually putting some time into studying (correctly), I went from 167 --> 175 (and I still did worse on the RC in Dec with a -6 lol). Hindsight may be 20/20, but that's irrelevant when you can just retake.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Simplicity wrote:
CorkBoard wrote:

Actually, I was retaking from June. :D I made the same mistake the first time - I went into the June test totally unprepared and nervous, and I underperformed. Unfortunately, I didn't find this forum until after I took the June test. After actually putting some time into studying (correctly), I went from 167 --> 175 (and I still did worse on the RC in Dec with a -6 lol). Hindsight may be 20/20, but that's irrelevant when you can just retake.

Heh, I took in December and I'm retaking in June! I totally underperformed (many points lower than my PT average), so I'm hoping that this time will be great. :D

DonnaDraper

Postby DonnaDraper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:53 am

Treat every PT like the real thing and the real thing like a PT :-)

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:39 am

DonnaDraper wrote:Treat every PT like the real thing and the real thing like a PT :-)

Sooo.. uhhh.... what? :?:

PakiGuy87

Postby PakiGuy87 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:45 am

Hey Cork,

I wanted to drop in and show my support since your posts nearly mirror my experience 100%. There is plenty of great advice on this thread. I said something similar to my LSAT instructor about not caring as much--I felt more prepared to take the test a week after the December LSAT because I had cooled down mentally.

My PTs have seen a significant jump since my pre-Dec 2011 prepping and the one piece of advice I can stand behind is read.

Read challenging material, read dense material, read all the time, and most importantly, read unfamiliar material. For example, I recently decided to get a subscription to the WSJ and challenge myself everyday to read about one to two topic areas I have no prior knowledge about. I try not to overwhelm myself with that material but I know that if I combine that exercise with dense material, think philosophy books, whatever it is I am reading is going towards prepping for roughly 75% of the test. I would go so far as to say that LSAT demands a different type of reading style which is why reading unfamiliar and dense material is helpful. In fact, I think I'm going to borrow my little sister's Scientific American magazine after she's done with them. For example, I'm reading the WSJ, Plato's Republic, and will throw in one to two articles from SA soon, per day.

Give it a try, I've noticed stellar results.

Secondly, I can sense that you are concerned about the future, perhaps? We tend to feel overwhelmed by processes outside of our control. If that is true, then try not to place all your eggs in one basket and do an activity in which you excel. If you have time, take a class in something you like or want to learn more about. I'm taking a legal research class at a local college. It helps that I'm trouncing the competition too and that feeds my sense of confidence because like you I take these things very seriously. I'm most confident in academics and writing, so I decided to take that class (and because I will eventually take it as a 1L). The key here is to build confidence much like a building a building--brick by brick. Then, leveraging that heighten sense of self to take on the LSAT (like another poster said--imagine everyone in the room being dumber than you are).

Lastly, I look for "LSATisms" sometimes when I watch a TV show, listen to the radio (esp. advertisements), or read the paper. What I'm doing to make myself more confident in approaching the test is to catch assumptions, necessary/sufficient clauses, premises/conclusions, flawed reasoning, wherever and whenever I encounter them. Doing this may not be the best idea for you if it leaves you feeling overwhelmed but if you are a perfectionist you might enjoy it.

My post would probably have a greater weight of persuasiveness if I had already retaken and done well but I'm noticing a huge difference between my pre-Dec 2011 prepping (constantly worrying, attaching too much meaning to my score) and now (worrying a lot less, clear thinking, seeing scores as indicators of strengths and areas of improvement). However, I can definitely relate to your experience since as a fellow perfectionist I've never felt as overwhelmed in my life as during my pre-Dec 2011 prepping. Any of those three above can increase your level of confidence but your milage may vary because trusting in yourself forms the base of confidence, and only you can do that for yourself.

Remember, standardized test are based on the assumption that a reasonable level of a person's intelligence can be obtained from them. That is a shaky assumption and assigning too much pressure to one test or even a few tests is not a good idea. So, don't be weighed down by one test, you can and will do better but only if you put more trust into yourself!

Good luck, Cork!

DonnaDraper

Postby DonnaDraper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:00 am

Mr.Binks wrote:
DonnaDraper wrote:Treat every PT like the real thing and the real thing like a PT :-)

Sooo.. uhhh.... what? :?:

When taking PT's don't cut yourself any slack by giving yourself extra time. Don't say things like "oh I misbubbled that, but that won't happen on the real thing." When taking any PT and you bomb a section, don't quit and be like "that was a bust, oh well, it's just a PT"...force yourself to keep going. When taking the experimental of the PT, don't think to yourself "well this is the experimental" (this was the hardest for me). Don't check your answers after each section. When you are taking the PT, practice pushing through it even when you think you have bombed without rushing to the answers. That practice turned out to be very good for me as I actually DID bomb a section on the real thing but had practiced managing my anxiety during PTs so I regrouped during the break period and nailed part 2 enough to recover.

On the flip side (kind of) when taking the real thing, I tried to look at it like just a regular PT. PT 64. A packet of paper to be read like I had read very many before. It helped me keep things into perspective.

Sorry if this still makes no sense....this is just what worked for me and I am blabbing about it on the off-chance that it is helpful to the OP.

Edit: also, great advice above!

Postby 83947368 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:25 am

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:30 am

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:You're burning yourself out. You are one of those rare people (more common on TLS) that actually needs to chill more during your LSAT prep process. It was the best advice I got when I was studying.

Ditto.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Cork! I feel your pain... I know how you feel. I burned out after 4 months of studying from 4pm-11pm everyday after work (work 9 hours a day) and also was stressing about everything I was doing was detracting from study time. I would get worked up about running an errand or going out to eat with friends or family. But you know what, this is your time and you are the only person who can make the most out of it. Stay away from the threads on TLS that are completely neurotic and surround yourself with calmness. What helped me was getting a facial and a massage after I felt the burn out. You need to take a deep breath and remember why you are doing this. Get inspired, listen to inspiring music, get pumped up and build up your confidence. You already know what you're in for, the test is not going to be any different from what you've seen before. If you need more motivation, please PM me.. I am really good at keeping people calm and I am a great listener. I remember how hard it was for me to stay sane and I always wanted to talk about the LSAT to people but no one in my real life cared haha.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:08 pm

fashiongirl wrote:Cork! I feel your pain... I know how you feel. I burned out after 4 months of studying from 4pm-11pm everyday after work (work 9 hours a day) and also was stressing about everything I was doing was detracting from study time. I would get worked up about running an errand or going out to eat with friends or family. But you know what, this is your time and you are the only person who can make the most out of it. Stay away from the threads on TLS that are completely neurotic and surround yourself with calmness. What helped me was getting a facial and a massage after I felt the burn out. You need to take a deep breath and remember why you are doing this. Get inspired, listen to inspiring music, get pumped up and build up your confidence. You already know what you're in for, the test is not going to be any different from what you've seen before. If you need more motivation, please PM me.. I am really good at keeping people calm and I am a great listener. I remember how hard it was for me to stay sane and I always wanted to talk about the LSAT to people but no one in my real life cared haha.

HAHA thats how I feel right now. I feel like if I go out on Friday night, then my Saturday study day will be ruined, so basically it's impeding on my social life. The way I see it is that you're going to be even more fucked, social life wise, when LS starts so we might as well get used to it and not bitch about it. The LSAT is just one part of getting into LS. LS is a whole nother' beast. HTH.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:00 pm

fashiongirl wrote:Cork! I feel your pain... I know how you feel. I burned out after 4 months of studying from 4pm-11pm everyday after work (work 9 hours a day) and also was stressing about everything I was doing was detracting from study time. I would get worked up about running an errand or going out to eat with friends or family. But you know what, this is your time and you are the only person who can make the most out of it. Stay away from the threads on TLS that are completely neurotic and surround yourself with calmness. What helped me was getting a facial and a massage after I felt the burn out. You need to take a deep breath and remember why you are doing this. Get inspired, listen to inspiring music, get pumped up and build up your confidence. You already know what you're in for, the test is not going to be any different from what you've seen before. If you need more motivation, please PM me.. I am really good at keeping people calm and I am a great listener. I remember how hard it was for me to stay sane and I always wanted to talk about the LSAT to people but no one in my real life cared haha.

This is exactly how I felt about the December test. My family and friends didn't understand the pressure and I remember just feeling really alone and stressed out over it. I was also reading the LSAT prep forum all the time which didn't help my nerves either. So far I have stuck to keeping off of this side of the forums (besides posting this, lol). I feel more confident than I did in December because I don't think I knew what to expect.

I'm doing fairly well in all my prep, though. I just got velocity and started it this week. I'm going at my own pace for a few weeks and then I'll probably amp up the studying. I would like to get a scholarship somewhere and I just want to make sure I'm in the best state of mind going into the test. I also don't want to take this test a third time haha.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:04 pm

Kudos to you! I don't think I could take the test again... the studying that goes into it is so hardcore, no one else really understands unless they've put a lot of work into it as well. To be honest I did a lot of crying but I'm kind of an emotional person and that's when I realized I was burning myself out. I had to allow myself to unwind and relax a bit. I made sure to watch my favorite TV shows and movies every week, and to talk to friends and family (even if it wasn't about the LSAT). I hope you will find our advice helpful :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”