144 Diagnostic Today Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
uh1999

New

144 Diagnostic Today

Post by uh1999 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:22 pm

My head is still spinning. However, I am not surprised by my dismal score. I don't see myself improving by the June 2012 LSAT. Perhaps, I will be ready for the June 2022 LSAT. I am totally beside myself.

Further, I was incredibly slow. I made it only to the 13th or 14th question in each section, before I marked "B" from question 14 or 15 on.
Last edited by uh1999 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Re: 144 Diagnostic Today

Post by 20121109 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Hahahaha...I started off at a 149. Took the LSAT three times.

166/166/172.

Don't be discouraged. Work hard and you will see results!!

uh1999

New

Post by uh1999 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Thanks. After a good night's sleep, I will be ready to buckle down. I don't think two hours a day is going to cut it for me. I am thinking I need at least twice that number.

6lehderjets

Bronze

Post by 6lehderjets » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:38 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Don't be discouraged. Work hard and you will see results!!

This.

Follow a specific plan, like Pithypike's guide. But with any plan make it your own, tweak it according to your strengths and weaknesses. Don't worry about continuing to take full length practice tests until you truly learn this test. Learn the LSAT first then focus on speed.

Like many others on TLS, I highly recommend Powerscore. And go through Dave Hall's thread there is useful advice in there as well.

uh1999

New

Post by uh1999 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks. I am knocking the dust of the Powerscore bibles. It's too late to enroll in the course, as I have already plunked down money with Kaplan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:45 pm

uh1999 wrote:Thanks. I am knocking the dust of the Powerscore bibles. It's too late to enroll in the course, as I have already plunked down money with Kaplan.
Full disclosure...I really haven't heard great things about Kaplan. Like, at all.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Kaplan is terrible. Trust me, I worked there.

How far are you into the course? If the policy is still the same when I taught (about 2 years ago) you should still be able to get most of your money back if class hasn't started or if you are only a week or two in.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:50 pm

uh1999 wrote:My head is still spinning. However, I am not surprised by my dismal score. I don't see myself improving by the June 2012 LSAT. Perhaps, I will be ready for the June 2022 LSAT. I am totally beside myself.

Further, I was incredibly slow. I made it only to the 13th or 14th question in each section, before I marked "B" from question 14 or 15 on.
Also you still have more than two months!! You can improve a lot by then. You just have to crack down. Get the powerscore bibles, follow pithypike's guide. study 3 hours a day, 5 times a week. You can improve leaps and bounds.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:54 pm

uh1999 wrote:Thanks. I am knocking the dust of the Powerscore bibles. It's too late to enroll in the course, as I have already plunked down money with Kaplan.
Full disclosure...I really haven't heard great things about Kaplan. Like, at all.
I liked Kaplan personally. Got a 157 on the diagnostic, wound up PTing right at 170 and got a 169 on the real test. Admittedly I have nothing to compare it to so I'm not saying that it's the best, just that it can certainly get the job done if you put in the work effort.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:54 pm

I literally warned some random person on the internet away from Kaplan this week. They were all gung ho about it and I was just like NOOOOOO!!!!

MachineLemon

Bronze

Post by MachineLemon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:01 pm

6lehderjets wrote:Don't worry about continuing to take full length practice tests until you truly learn this test. Learn the LSAT first then focus on speed.
Not what I would recommend, actually. You gotta keep taking timed, full length tests. I would say at least once a week. Cannibalize the older PTs for section practice during the rest of the week. Also, Powerscore is credited.

Went from 158 to 175+ with this method.

6lehderjets

Bronze

Post by 6lehderjets » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:07 pm

MachineLemon wrote:
6lehderjets wrote:Don't worry about continuing to take full length practice tests until you truly learn this test. Learn the LSAT first then focus on speed.
Not what I would recommend, actually. You gotta keep taking timed, full length tests. I would say at least once a week. Cannibalize the older PTs for section practice during the rest of the week. Also, Powerscore is credited.

It's a different ballgame coming up from 144 compared to 158. At 144 you need to improve your reading comprehension skills and ability to figure out logic games. Adding the additional stress of time isn't advisable until you hone the skills required to perform well on the LSAT.

MachineLemon

Bronze

Post by MachineLemon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:17 pm

6lehderjets wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:

It's a different ballgame coming up from 144 compared to 158. At 144 you need to improve your reading comprehension skills and ability to figure out logic games. Adding the additional stress of time isn't advisable until you hone the skills required to perform well on the LSAT.
Fair enough. Can any <150 diagnostic folks weigh in on these different approaches?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uh1999

New

Post by uh1999 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:45 am

emkay625 wrote:Kaplan is terrible. Trust me, I worked there.

How far are you into the course? If the policy is still the same when I taught (about 2 years ago) you should still be able to get most of your money back if class hasn't started or if you are only a week or two in.
I am a week in. I am not fond of changing course. However, I will keep this in the back of my mind. If instruction appears to be terrible, I will just focus on using their resources such as their lab and question bank.

uh1999

New

Post by uh1999 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:46 am

emkay625 wrote:
uh1999 wrote:My head is still spinning. However, I am not surprised by my dismal score. I don't see myself improving by the June 2012 LSAT. Perhaps, I will be ready for the June 2022 LSAT. I am totally beside myself.

Also you still have more than two months!! You can improve a lot by then. You just have to crack down. Get the powerscore bibles, follow pithypike's guide. study 3 hours a day, 5 times a week. You can improve leaps and bounds.
You have a point. Further, I have too many moving parts presently. I need to shutdown those gears and focus on the LSAT one.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:45 pm

uh1999 wrote:

I am a week in. I am not fond of changing course. However, I will keep this in the back of my mind. If instruction appears to be terrible, I will just focus on using their resources such as their lab and question bank.
Dude, I took the Kaplan course and it was terrible. Print all of the practice tests (since they contain real LSAT questions) and then get a refund. Then , get the hell out of there if you can! You're money, more than half of it, can be spent on better materials.

If you want to learn the hard way and stay in the class, then fine.

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:22 pm

I might be solo on this one, but i REALLY like the Manhattan LSAT guides... I've heard that the RC one is far superior to the RC Powerscore bible...

I just find them much more "reader friendly"...

Also, their games book i think broke everything down perfectly (but I am bias as I didn't finish the Powerscore Games Bible)

3 months is plenty of time, don't let yourself get discouraged. Just work hard and making a plan is VITAL... That way you don't lose track of the end goal.

Oh! and also I love Manhattan LSAT's forums for when you eventually start working on practice tests... each question is usually broken down on their forums :)

:)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
uh1999 wrote:

Dude, I took the Kaplan course and it was terrible. Print all of the practice tests (since they contain real LSAT questions) and then get a refund. Then , get the hell out of there if you can! You're money, more than half of it, can be spent on better materials.

If you want to learn the hard way and stay in the class, then fine.
Agreed. Kaplan is shitty. One of their reps even told me that it is designed for those hoping to score in the 160s. While that isn't a bad score by any means, I think the general consensus on TLS is that you should shoot for 180, since it's such a learnable test, but Kaplan--more likely than not--won't get you there.

tino1317

New

Post by tino1317 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:03 am

The best part of Kaplan is the online resources they offer. The ease of scoring your test and getting explanations as well as a report of your weak question area. However I don't think that alone is worth the $1400 or so. The class does help some, but I've found that independent studying with their books is more beneficial. I haven't tried the powerscore bibles, are they different than Kaplans books? Are they worth it to buy in addition to having Kaplans books and online resources?

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:19 pm

tino1317 wrote:The best part of Kaplan is the online resources they offer. The ease of scoring your test and getting explanations as well as a report of your weak question area. However I don't think that alone is worth the $1400 or so. The class does help some, but I've found that independent studying with their books is more beneficial. I haven't tried the powerscore bibles, are they different than Kaplans books? Are they worth it to buy in addition to having Kaplans books and online resources?

Lol, if you can keep a log on the questions your missing, then you'll know what your weaknesses are; it really isnt that hard. Plus, Kaplan's explanations are terrible for their questions. I have the Kaplan mastery books, because I enrolled in the class for half price, got the materials and dipped out, and their explanations to the answer choices seem half assed. In fact, I stopped looking at them.

Yes, the powerscore bibles are different in that they give you what you need to get going. Real mastery of the material comes with (if youre not already great at it) looking at tons of questions and figuring out whats REALLY going on in the stimulus/answer choices. That is to say, what the relationship is between the two.

As far as the books go, I have the books with all of the questions for LR, a ton of LGs , and a ton of RC passages that are from real LSATs, so I think they are valuable in that sense. As for complete materials, I would say no. There are other things that I think should supplement thse mastery/practice books.

Kaplan is literally just a huge company and will take money from people who don't try to find the motivation within themselves. Its not a complete waste of time, but I feel like your time can be spent doing more quality review of questions/PS bibles and cambridges LG bundles/Cambridges hardest question bundles (with thorough review) and many PTs thorughly reviewed as well. HTH

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:50 pm

tino1317 wrote:The best part of Kaplan is the online resources they offer. The ease of scoring your test and getting explanations as well as a report of your weak question area. However I don't think that alone is worth the $1400 or so. The class does help some, but I've found that independent studying with their books is more beneficial. I haven't tried the powerscore bibles, are they different than Kaplans books? Are they worth it to buy in addition to having Kaplans books and online resources?
Blueprint has amazing online resources...check out their site. Took their live course AND online course back to back. Entertaining and crystal clear. Honestly these prep courses are for people who need to understand the basics thoroughly first, and then afterwards I would recommend self-studying for 2-3 months after the live course.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

uh1999

New

Post by uh1999 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:50 pm

I have decided to stay with Kaplan.

I am enrolled in the Washington, DC classroom course. The instructor appears to be knowledgeable and has already cleared up several flaws in my thinking. Kaplan is just one of the resources that I am using to prepare.

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Stay away from Kaplan. Trust us. They may actually confuse you and make your score go down. Their explanations to most questions are largely unhelpful.

Dave Hall's method is probably best for tackling logic games for someone in your score range, I think. Check out VelocityLSAT for that. I really believe that he can turn anyone into a consistent -3 or less on every LG section. His method is efficient and doesn't rely on making "key" deductions, reducing random wrong answers and confusion on test day.

For logical reasoning, I recommend the PowerScore stuff.

For RC ... I'm not even completely sure how you should approach it. Different things work for different people here. I would recommend doing a lot of reading for leisure, and really work on understanding the "big picture" of anything you read. Reading The Economist a little bit seemed to help me digest difficult material quickly. Learn to organize how authors organize passages and how everything in a passage ties into a thesis. Also learn to recognize why a given author writes a passage. At the end of the day, you should be able to articulate why a passage is being written, how the author articulates their point, and you should be able to get a rough sense of how the author feels about the subject the are discussing. If you can do this efficiently, you will become better at answering questions correctly.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:22 pm

uh1999 wrote:I have decided to stay with Kaplan.

I am enrolled in the Washington, DC classroom course. The instructor appears to be knowledgeable and has already cleared up several flaws in my thinking. Kaplan is just one of the resources that I am using to prepare.

Dont say we didn't warn you when you've learned a crappy method and have to restart/relearn later.

JDProspect

New

Post by JDProspect » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:50 pm

I took the Kaplan Extreme course. It was useful at that time, given that the LSAT was completely new to me. I did have the bibles, but the methods were so different from Kaplan, that I stopped reading them. Plus it was easier just following along with Kaplan. However, I feel like my score stagnated and to a point where I didn't even reach the 160s. My best improvement came when I studied on my own, applying the Kaplan methods. I am still not satisfied with my score and I will be retaking the LSAT, I plan on using the bibles this time around and using the thread's on here. As someone who did take Kaplan, I would not recommend it if you are trying to score in the high 160s.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”