How Many Practice Tests

lawschool64

How Many Practice Tests

Postby lawschool64 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:06 pm

For those who have taken numerous LSAT practice test, how many did it take before reaching your goal (170+) with things starting to really 'click'. I have taken 10+ as of now and am a little discouraged as I am still scoring in the 160 range.

RodionRaskolnikov

Re: How Many Practice Tests

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:17 pm

lawschool64 wrote:For those who have taken numerous LSAT practice test, how many did it take before reaching your goal (170+) with things starting to really 'click'. I have taken 10+ as of now and am a little discouraged as I am still scoring in the 160 range.

I took 25, some not timed, and I reached at about 167 and I think that the LR really clicked fully, somewhat clicked fully for games on and normal for reading on test day.. so it takes more than 10 tests to get there unless your starting score is 170+ and you only needed a few tests to get settled into taking the test.

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:34 pm

lawschool64 wrote:For those who have taken numerous LSAT practice test, how many did it take before reaching your goal (170+) with things starting to really 'click'. I have taken 10+ as of now and am a little discouraged as I am still scoring in the 160 range.

I'd say take as many as you can, it never hurts to have more familiarity with the tests. That being said, make sure that you start taking the most recent tests in sufficient time to review them before you take real deal.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:52 am

I took 40ish (19-38, 42-63) and took first LSAT. Got 162, a little below average. Drilled questions from 1-20 tests, no full pts in between tests, got 170.

My recommendation is drill question types, then pt.

GoldenGloves

Postby GoldenGloves » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:43 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:
My recommendation is drill question types, then pt.

This. Taking a bunch of practice tests may eventually get you to 170, but it's much more efficient to devote your time to drilling the weaknesses that you find after reviewing the tests you've already taken. Taking even more tests is more likely to instill bad habits than help you overcome them.

beebela

Postby beebela » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:09 pm

GoldenGloves wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:My recommendation is drill question types, then pt.

This. Taking a bunch of practice tests may eventually get you to 170, but it's much more efficient to devote your time to drilling the weaknesses that you find after reviewing the tests you've already taken. Taking even more tests is more likely to instill bad habits than help you overcome them.

Agreed. I only took 10 full-length, 5-section practice tests total (including my diagnostic). I started out with a 165 and the majority of my prep was drilling question types and then a lot of individual timed sections, my first 170+ was on my third PT. IMO, it is best to master the questions, do individual timed sections with a thorough review, and just take a full-length PT every once in a while to check your progress.

edit: I would take a step back from all your PTing to try and find out WHY you are still scoring in the 160 range and what you need to work on, just doing tests over and over again won't dramatically improve your score.

lawschool64

Postby lawschool64 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:58 am

Yeah good advice, I will probably start drilling my weaknesses by question type now also to mix it up and really start to see what common errors I am making.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:00 am

Took practice tests but did plenty of drilling in between. Hit 174 (first time over 170) on maybe my seventh or eighth test and took about 30 in total, although as I mentioned, the actual PT's were only a small part of my total studying.

Postby 83947368 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:05 am

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:08 am

lawschool64 wrote:Yeah good advice, I will probably start drilling my weaknesses by question type now also to mix it up and really start to see what common errors I am making.

If you have copies of the LSAT PrepTests already, you can use the free utility I built and put on the web several years ago.

It's a simple to use logical reasoning question type finder utility that covers PrepTest numbers 19 through 45. You don't have to register, install anything or deal with any annoying ads/pop-ups or any other annoying internet stuff. It's easy to use and free with no frills. I made it as simple and easy to use as possible.

LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder

Also, there is no magic one size fits all number of practice tests to take to achieve any particular scaled score. Quality study, practice and review is what is important to achieve your peak potential on test day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”