Reading Comprehension help needed

lawschool64

Reading Comprehension help needed

Postby lawschool64 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:03 am

I have often heard that the RC section on the LSAT is the most diificult to improve upon, and I as well as many others can probably attest to this I have yet to see much improvement on these sections even after completing numerous practice tests. If anyone has any insight on some prep books that have aided them greatly while studying for RC that would be great. Also, for those of you who are consistently scoring well on these sections do you apply any specific strategies that you can attest are very effective, such as maybe roadmapping and writing in the margins? I'd greatly appreciate the help.

proxy

Re: Reading Comprehension help needed

Postby proxy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:14 pm

Manhattan Reading Comprehension Study Guide. Extremely helpful.

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:15 pm

proxy wrote:Manhattan Reading Comprehension Study Guide. Extremely helpful.

This.

Manhattan has the only RC guide I would recommend. You can also start reading dense, scholarly articles to help you adjust to the LSAT sort of writing style. The Economist is a great place to start.

lawschool64

Postby lawschool64 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:00 pm

I actually looked through the Atlas guide already and it seemed pretty generic, for anyone scoring like -3 or better on RC can you go over your approach/tactics a little (e.g. underline, actually write out important points, etc.)

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:10 pm

meh, the Atlas guide didn't help me that much. I mean, it's interesting to see how a 180er approaches that section but it wasn't particularly helpful to me.

Problem with RC is that the approach to doing well differs so much from person to person that it's really difficult to find/create a prep book that will truly help everyone. But, I think there are some things you can definitely do to improve. I posted some stuff on that here, hope it helps you OP.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=169722&p=4918517#p4918517

ETA: Also, I didn't personally find reading the Economist that helpful for RC. Might be because I read the magazine already. I know some of the advice on these boards is to read the Economist/Scientific American etc to get better at RC. I think this only applies if you are not used to reading dense material at all. If you want to really read dense stuff that I personally think is comparable to RC, in your spare time, go read the SCOTUSblog or Gun Germs and Steel or German philosophy. RC will feel like a cakewalk in comparison. But to do well on RC, you should primarily focus on doing actual RC passages. I didn't read Hegel in the morning to wake up my brain, I did RC passages.

lawschool64

Postby lawschool64 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:01 am

I found this strategy from one of the sub-links on the last post, and it seems pretty legit. I might give it a try and see if it helps at all.

It is linked here if anyone else has any comments regarding it.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”