Just Decided to Take the LSAT>>>HELP!!!!!!!!

zimmejs

Just Decided to Take the LSAT>>>HELP!!!!!!!!

Postby zimmejs » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:58 am

Here's the deal. I graduated undergrad 4 years ago and have been working full time as an engineer for a construction company. I have been thinking about the possibility of going to law school for a few years and have finally decided that it is something I am definitely going to pursue.

Ideally I would start school in Fall 2013. I am definitely going to take the October 2012 LSAT, but am debating on whether or not I should take June also. I just bought my first prep book (Kaplan Logic Strategies & Tactics) this week and have only begun looking at it. I plan to study about 2 hours a night up until the test (weekdays) and more on weekends. I'm concerned I'm not giving myself adequate time to prepare for the June test and am wondering if I would be better off taking October & December 2012?

From the schools I have looked at, I'd like to get around a 165 to feel comfortable. My undergrad GPA was 3.45, and have always been a focused studier.

What should I definitely do/don't do?
Any other advice?

Jeffort

Re: Just Decided to Take the LSAT>>>HELP!!!!!!!!

Postby Jeffort » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:18 am

Return the book you bought and get better LSAT prep books if you are going to do self study. There are other brands that publish much better and more comprehensive LSAT self study guides.

Do not PLAN on taking it twice, that is just setting your mindset up for failure. You can take it a second or third time if you don't perform as well as you are capable of if your previous results are not as good as you expected. You should aim to perform to the best of your abilities the first time. Your attitude/confidence is an important aspect that influences how you perform on test day.

Planning to take it twice indicates a lack of confidence that you will be adequately prepared the first time.
Last edited by Jeffort on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:19 am

zimmejs wrote:Any other advice?

Do everything Jeffort says because he is the best in the business.

pizzabrosauce

Postby pizzabrosauce » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:00 am

1. Realize how bad the law market is. Not saying you haven't done your due diligence, but you're an engineer...I'd kill to switch spots with you. You will be taking on loads of debt just for the the small chance of just paying off the tuition debt.Yes the economy might get better, but your job must be really bad if you're walking into this.

2. Your strategy sounds like what a lot of my smart friends are doing, taking the test early in order to be better round 2. In this respect i agree with Jeffort, its better to burn your boats like Cortez and go balls out for June. If you fail, you'll be way more ready for Oct.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:00 pm

pizzabrosauce wrote:1. Realize how bad the law market is. Not saying you haven't done your due diligence, but you're an engineer...I'd kill to switch spots with you. You will be taking on loads of debt just for the the small chance of just paying off the tuition debt.Yes the economy might get better, but your job must be really bad if you're walking into this.

Unless he plans to go into patent law, in which case there's fairly steady work, especially for someone with an Engineering degree and experience. It's steady, well paying, and actually gives a fairly high quality of life (especially if you focus on prosecution).

To OP, everything Jeffort said. On top of that, don't set a 'goal' of 165 - set a goal of scoring as high as you possibly can. If you keep to that plan (with better materials), you'll have more than enough time to prep for June.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Wed May 29, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:10 pm

If you're out of school and working full time, I'd say you'll have the advantage of maturity, but starting out your quest by panickedly screaming "HELP!!!!!!!" suggests otherwise.

My advice:

1) Remain calm. Slow, controlled breaths.

2) As others have said, study twice, test once. If you want "practice runs" then take an LSAT prep course that offers proctored practice tests as part of the curriculum. That will give you the experience of timed test taking in a group setting, and also provide structure and scheduling to your studying (which will help you stay on track for test day while holding a full-time job). Princeton Review offers such prep classes, which is scheduled to end right before the actual test date.

3) Try to discuss with actual law students or practicing lawyers why you want to study law, just to make sure it is what you think it is. I did what you're wanting to do, worked for a few years while debating law school before finally choosing to go, and while I've done well, it's still not what I expected. Know what you're getting yourself into, as much as you can.

zimmejs

Postby zimmejs » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:32 am

Thanks for the input so far everyone.

I guess what I'm really trying to ask is if I wait until Oct '12 to take my first test, would that be too late to take it to make school applications for Fall 2013? I'm thinking it would be better to have the extra time to study than if I try and scramble to get ready for June (I have alot of obligations coming up this spring that I can't break). I haven't planned onm applying early decision anywhere so I'm thinking I will be OK to wait until October.

Some more info- I would like to practice construction law. I work for a general contractor and almost all my experience is dealing with our contracts/subcontracts and keeping our company in compliance with the FAR clauses (Federal Acquisition Regulations).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”