Critique my LSAT prep schedule? :)

Circle Guy

Critique my LSAT prep schedule? :)

Postby Circle Guy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:31 pm

Prior to writing the ambiguous February 2012 LSAT, I thumbed through the LG/LR/RC bibles, and did 13 prep tests. My 1st prep test score was a 155 (diagnostic) and my last one was a 161. My goal is to hit 165, however I would be quite pleased with a 160 a - I am applying to UND and a 160+ would put me in great standings with my GPA. The Feb LSAT seemed a bit tricky, and tbh I don't think I broke 160 (largely due to the games section), however I was planning on writing it again in June either way. On the prep tests, I usually scored 19/25 on LR, 19/27 on RC, and 17/23 on LG. So definitely room for improvement, and I'm actually getting excited to start prepping for it.

The materials I have:
- The Official LSAT Superprep
- Kaplan's Mastery for LR
- LG/LR/RC Bible
- LG Workbook
- LSAT 180
- All the prep tests (I'll be saving 45-64, hopefully 65 will be out by then, for my timed tests near the end)

Thanks to Pithypike, with a few tweaks for my own personal preference, here is what my schedule looks like (btw, I am taking a full course load but am not working, so hopefully I will have ample time to prep):

Feb 21st - March 1st: LSAT Superprep. I feel like this is a good way to start it off, and rather than focusing on specific sections I would mull through it from beginning to end.

March 2nd - March 26th: LG Bible, LG Workbook. I would follow Pithypike's strategy by doing doing the games in order in the LG bible and doing their respective game types in PTs 1-44 (I know the game types have changed since, but I am hoping to save the last 25 prep tests for timed conditions). I would also follow the accuracy- speed - endurance rule.

March 27th - April 20: LR Bible, again following Pithypike's strategy, doing in order the specific question types, and then doing the respective ones in the prep tests, again from 1-44.

April 21st - May 1st: RC Bible, and all the RC passages from 1-44. I realize this is a shorter time frame than LG/LR, however I will be finished finals and can spend all my time focusing on the LSAT.

May 1st - May 8th: LSAT 180. I feel like this is a good way to finish off the prep materials, by focusing on some of the hardest questions (I have heard generally good things about it).

May 9th - June 9th = Timed LSAT, PTs 45-64, possibly 65 if they have released it. I will have to do them at about 10:30 am, I was hoping to do them for 1:00 (when the real LSAT will be), but unfortunately I work from 2:30 - 8:30pm. After work, I will review the questions I got wrong, trying to figure out why I got them wrong, and recording which question type I got wrong so I can review that type in the bibles, need be (I have a feeling parallel reasoning will be one of those...).

I'll be reading an article a day out of either the Wall Street Journal / New York Times, as I have heard that it may improve my RC score.

June 10th = round of golf and just take it easy.

June 11th = Walk into the LSAT room with this playing in my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAEKFwOlWDc

Walk out like this: 8)

So please, leave feedback / criticism! I really do appreciate it. Do you think I can achieve a 165? Is the schedule realistic / can it be improved?

Thanks in advance!

ix88

Re: Critique my LSAT prep schedule? :)

Postby ix88 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:33 pm

"May 9th - June 9th = Timed LSAT, PTs 45-64"

So in the span of 1 month, factoring in that you would also be working, you would complete 20 PTs?

I don't think that is enough time to meaningfully review each PT (including correct responses) that you take.

Circle Guy

Postby Circle Guy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:23 pm

ix88 wrote:"May 9th - June 9th = Timed LSAT, PTs 45-64"

So in the span of 1 month, factoring in that you would also be working, you would complete 20 PTs?

I don't think that is enough time to meaningfully review each PT (including correct responses) that you take.

True - perhaps I'll try and do the LSAT 180 / RC together, and have May 1st - June 9th for the prep tests - will an extra 8 days be good enough?

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:35 pm

The most important part of studying for the LSAT is understanding the questions/answers. If you can't do an untimed section without missing a few, give or take, you should be trying to learn why you made that mistake. I feel as if doing questions untimed, using books such as Kaplan mastery, Cambridge's hardest questions, etc... and thoroughly reviewing the questions you got wrong is crucial. Once you have been getting the questions right, consistently, then you need to transfer those same tactics onto timed tests. From this point, a consistent approach and timed practice is key. Good luck! Feel free to PM me with any questions.

GM

Circle Guy

Postby Circle Guy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:44 pm

Geetar Man wrote:The most important part of studying for the LSAT is understanding the questions/answers. If you can't do an untimed section without missing a few, give or take, you should be trying to learn why you made that mistake. I feel as if doing questions untimed, using books such as Kaplan mastery, Cambridge's hardest questions, etc... and thoroughly reviewing the questions you got wrong is crucial. Once you have been getting the questions right, consistently, then you need to transfer those same tactics onto timed tests. From this point, a consistent approach and timed practice is key. Good luck! Feel free to PM me with any questions.

GM

Awesome, thanks man!

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Circle Guy wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:The most important part of studying for the LSAT is understanding the questions/answers. If you can't do an untimed section without missing a few, give or take, you should be trying to learn why you made that mistake. I feel as if doing questions untimed, using books such as Kaplan mastery, Cambridge's hardest questions, etc... and thoroughly reviewing the questions you got wrong is crucial. Once you have been getting the questions right, consistently, then you need to transfer those same tactics onto timed tests. From this point, a consistent approach and timed practice is key. Good luck! Feel free to PM me with any questions.

GM

Awesome, thanks man!

No problem. A problem that I have been working on was that I would miss only the hardest questions in LR; questions 15-end. What I've noticed is that for these questions, the test makers have disguised the right answers to look like wrong answers and vice versa. So when you're studying/answer the harder questions, be aware of the answers that look right, because those are often the wrong answers. The right answer for harder questions will most often be quite ugly.

Circle Guy

Postby Circle Guy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:33 pm

Update: decided to switch the LG to the 1st month and LR to the 2nd month. Catching up on assignments and readings now for my courses, but looking forward to starting in a week

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”