Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:25 am

UTexasLaw wrote:Do cardio, it helps keep the stress low. As for diet, low carbs, moderate protein, don't eat anything after 10.


This is plainly absurd. You do not need to do a single one of these things to do well on the LSAT.

UTexasLaw
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby UTexasLaw » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:34 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
UTexasLaw wrote:Do cardio, it helps keep the stress low. As for diet, low carbs, moderate protein, don't eat anything after 10.


This is plainly absurd. You do not need to do a single one of these things to do well on the LSAT.



Lol, I didn't ever make that claim. Just offering some advice on how to make your life feel better overall

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 am

UTexasLaw wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
UTexasLaw wrote:Do cardio, it helps keep the stress low. As for diet, low carbs, moderate protein, don't eat anything after 10.


This is plainly absurd. You do not need to do a single one of these things to do well on the LSAT.



Lol, I didn't ever make that claim. Just offering some advice on how to make your life feel better overall


Haha ok. Well if you read the thread you'd realize the person asked for diet/exercise advice in relation to preparing for the LSAT, which in all honesty is pretty crazy to begin with.

VasaVasori
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 pm

.

Postby VasaVasori » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:19 am

.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
omninode
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby omninode » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:29 am

Can't really speak to the importance of exercise, as I never could maintain a consistent exercise schedule.

I can definitely say that cutting and back on my caffeine and sugar intake (and basically eliminating all sweetened/carbonated beverages) did wonders for my stress levels and the quality and consistency of my sleep. The difference was amazing.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:40 am

I believe you, I'm just saying if you actually put all that time you spent exercising and changing your dieting habits into actually studying, you'd be about 1000 times better off LSAT-wise. Honestly, expecting any sort of result from diet or exercise in your actual LSAT score is a bit of wishful thinking. Do it for self-improvement, sure. But really, the only way to get good at the LSAT is to study for the LSAT.

User avatar
omninode
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby omninode » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:47 am

bernaldiaz wrote:I believe you, I'm just saying if you actually put all that time you spent exercising and changing your dieting habits into actually studying, you'd be about 1000 times better off LSAT-wise. Honestly, expecting any sort of result from diet or exercise in your actual LSAT score is a bit of wishful thinking. Do it for self-improvement, sure. But really, the only way to get good at the LSAT is to study for the LSAT.


I don't think anybody disagrees with that point. OP asked if diet and exercise could help, and I think the objective answer is yes.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:53 am

omninode wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:I believe you, I'm just saying if you actually put all that time you spent exercising and changing your dieting habits into actually studying, you'd be about 1000 times better off LSAT-wise. Honestly, expecting any sort of result from diet or exercise in your actual LSAT score is a bit of wishful thinking. Do it for self-improvement, sure. But really, the only way to get good at the LSAT is to study for the LSAT.


I don't think anybody disagrees with that point. OP asked if diet and exercise could help, and I think the objective answer is yes.


But the point would be if you actually put that much effort into all of these peripheral things you may be mis-allocating your efforts. Sure, it may help a little, but honestly, in all likelihood there is going to be no tangible, measurable return on your effort and you may have made significantly more improvements if you just studied instead.

User avatar
snailio
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:40 am

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby snailio » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:19 am

I think proper diet and exercise in addition to a regular sleep schedule and having the simulation of the actual test down does indeed help, in fact I'd give it a 1-2 point bump.

I don't feel these things are peripheral at all, in fact I would say they are central to getting your mind around the seriousness of the test.

All of this is of course in addition to actually studying your ass off for the test.

That being said, different strokes for different folks.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby Jeffort » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:52 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:I believe you, I'm just saying if you actually put all that time you spent exercising and changing your dieting habits into actually studying, you'd be about 1000 times better off LSAT-wise. Honestly, expecting any sort of result from diet or exercise in your actual LSAT score is a bit of wishful thinking. Do it for self-improvement, sure. But really, the only way to get good at the LSAT is to study for the LSAT.


Changing your diet does not require a time commitment that would take away available study time. No matter what you eat, you still have get the food and eat it. For example, I don't see how deciding to go with a tuna sandwich instead of a bacon cheeseburger, BigMac or whatever [insert other greasy crappy foods here] would take a bunch of extra time and subtract from available study time.

Doing 30 minutes to an hour of exercise three or four days a week should not impair available study time either. Everyone has far more than that amount of discretionary time per day to kill doing whatever you want unless you are in the military and in an active war zone in combat operations. You don't need a gym membership, a car or anything but shoes and clothes to go for a jog around the block or to even just do jumping jacks and other exercises in your home.

Your argument is silly since you are taking the position that being in good shape will not help on test day. Nobody is saying that exercising and being properly nourished is going to turn a 160 ability person into a 170 performer or whatever other significant score numbers differential.

The point here is that doing these two things helps people perform to the best of their ability on test day. Many people under perform on test day due to stress and fatigue. Exercise, good nutrition and good sleep builds endurance/stamina, energy level, and reduces stress.

You've been reading and posting here on the LSAT study board for long enough to have seen the many reports from people that scored significantly lower on test day than how they were performing on practice tests, so I don't understand the basis for your position.

Perhaps you should put down the cheeseburger, put away the Doritos and other junk food, put away the video games and hit the gym or go for a jog. Try it, it shouldn't hurt you. It might even clear your head a little to help prevent you from posting additional absurd claims, opinions and conclusions.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, qemini1594 and 4 guests