Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bernaldiaz

Gold

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Post by bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:25 am

UTexasLaw wrote:Do cardio, it helps keep the stress low. As for diet, low carbs, moderate protein, don't eat anything after 10.
This is plainly absurd. You do not need to do a single one of these things to do well on the LSAT.

UTexasLaw

New

Post by UTexasLaw » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:34 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
UTexasLaw wrote:Do cardio, it helps keep the stress low. As for diet, low carbs, moderate protein, don't eat anything after 10.
This is plainly absurd. You do not need to do a single one of these things to do well on the LSAT.

Lol, I didn't ever make that claim. Just offering some advice on how to make your life feel better overall

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 am

UTexasLaw wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:

Lol, I didn't ever make that claim. Just offering some advice on how to make your life feel better overall
Haha ok. Well if you read the thread you'd realize the person asked for diet/exercise advice in relation to preparing for the LSAT, which in all honesty is pretty crazy to begin with.

VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:19 am

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:29 am

Can't really speak to the importance of exercise, as I never could maintain a consistent exercise schedule.

I can definitely say that cutting and back on my caffeine and sugar intake (and basically eliminating all sweetened/carbonated beverages) did wonders for my stress levels and the quality and consistency of my sleep. The difference was amazing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:40 am

I believe you, I'm just saying if you actually put all that time you spent exercising and changing your dieting habits into actually studying, you'd be about 1000 times better off LSAT-wise. Honestly, expecting any sort of result from diet or exercise in your actual LSAT score is a bit of wishful thinking. Do it for self-improvement, sure. But really, the only way to get good at the LSAT is to study for the LSAT.

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:47 am

bernaldiaz wrote:I believe you, I'm just saying if you actually put all that time you spent exercising and changing your dieting habits into actually studying, you'd be about 1000 times better off LSAT-wise. Honestly, expecting any sort of result from diet or exercise in your actual LSAT score is a bit of wishful thinking. Do it for self-improvement, sure. But really, the only way to get good at the LSAT is to study for the LSAT.
I don't think anybody disagrees with that point. OP asked if diet and exercise could help, and I think the objective answer is yes.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:53 am

omninode wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:I believe you, I'm just saying if you actually put all that time you spent exercising and changing your dieting habits into actually studying, you'd be about 1000 times better off LSAT-wise. Honestly, expecting any sort of result from diet or exercise in your actual LSAT score is a bit of wishful thinking. Do it for self-improvement, sure. But really, the only way to get good at the LSAT is to study for the LSAT.
I don't think anybody disagrees with that point. OP asked if diet and exercise could help, and I think the objective answer is yes.
But the point would be if you actually put that much effort into all of these peripheral things you may be mis-allocating your efforts. Sure, it may help a little, but honestly, in all likelihood there is going to be no tangible, measurable return on your effort and you may have made significantly more improvements if you just studied instead.

snailio

Bronze

Post by snailio » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:19 am

I think proper diet and exercise in addition to a regular sleep schedule and having the simulation of the actual test down does indeed help, in fact I'd give it a 1-2 point bump.

I don't feel these things are peripheral at all, in fact I would say they are central to getting your mind around the seriousness of the test.

All of this is of course in addition to actually studying your ass off for the test.

That being said, different strokes for different folks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Changing your diet does not require a time commitment that would take away available study time. No matter what you eat, you still have get the food and eat it. For example, I don't see how deciding to go with a tuna sandwich instead of a bacon cheeseburger, BigMac or whatever [insert other greasy crappy foods here] would take a bunch of extra time and subtract from available study time.

Doing 30 minutes to an hour of exercise three or four days a week should not impair available study time either. Everyone has far more than that amount of discretionary time per day to kill doing whatever you want unless you are in the military and in an active war zone in combat operations. You don't need a gym membership, a car or anything but shoes and clothes to go for a jog around the block or to even just do jumping jacks and other exercises in your home.

Your argument is silly since you are taking the position that being in good shape will not help on test day. Nobody is saying that exercising and being properly nourished is going to turn a 160 ability person into a 170 performer or whatever other significant score numbers differential.

The point here is that doing these two things helps people perform to the best of their ability on test day. Many people under perform on test day due to stress and fatigue. Exercise, good nutrition and good sleep builds endurance/stamina, energy level, and reduces stress.

You've been reading and posting here on the LSAT study board for long enough to have seen the many reports from people that scored significantly lower on test day than how they were performing on practice tests, so I don't understand the basis for your position.

Perhaps you should put down the cheeseburger, put away the Doritos and other junk food, put away the video games and hit the gym or go for a jog. Try it, it shouldn't hurt you. It might even clear your head a little to help prevent you from posting additional absurd claims, opinions and conclusions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”