Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

BillsFan9907
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 am

Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby BillsFan9907 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:31 am

I was hoping someone could provide some personal anecdotal experience on how getting their diet and physical health under control (exercising) changed how they performed on the LSATs or I guess any intellectual endeavor.

User avatar
princeR
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby princeR » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:59 am

It helps a lot and in no way can hurt... not just for the LSAT but life in general. Go on, get on that damn treadmill!

caminante
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby caminante » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:04 am

I'm sure it could help, but it's not necessary. I kept "meaning to" start exercising while I was studying for the LSAT. But with working full time and having other responsibilities, I didn't. I don't think it hindered my performance.

I do think some exercise would have helped me manage my stress a bit better.

User avatar
lovejopd
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby lovejopd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:22 am

LSAT=STRESSFUL!! :x

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:57 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Wed May 29, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby Jeffort » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:23 pm

princeR wrote:It helps a lot and in no way can hurt... not just for the LSAT but life in general. Go on, get on that damn treadmill!


Image

Once I got into the routine it helped me in various ways including my practice test scores increasing up to close to my goal in the last month or so. I had been stuck in a lower range for a while before getting into the exercise and eating well routine.

I rode the lifecycle 3-4 times a week starting about six weeks before the test. My stress level went way down, I felt much better, had more energy and endurance, was able to think faster and more clearly with less effort, it made it easy to fall asleep at about the same time every night to get a good nights sleep, and made food much more enjoyable.

Good nutrition also helps. A good balance of quality complex carbs and good sources of protein/amino acids is important and helps. Oatmeal is a good source of complex carbs for breakfast. Eggs are a great source of quality protein. Tuna and is a great source of quality protein as well as Omega-3, which is good for the brain.

Also, vitamins and minerals. B-complex vitamins (b-50, b-100 or b-150 complex formulas) are really helpful for energy and brain function/cognition. They are the ones that make your pee bright yellow. They are pretty cheap at CVS or Rite-Aid and other places. Also a standard multivitamin such as Centrum.

All this is simply good to do whether it's to take the LSAT or not.

User avatar
lovejopd
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby lovejopd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Jeffort wrote:
princeR wrote:It helps a lot and in no way can hurt... not just for the LSAT but life in general. Go on, get on that damn treadmill!


Image

Once I got into the routine it helped me in various ways including my practice test scores increasing up to close to my goal in the last month or so. I had been stuck in a lower range for a while before getting into the exercise and eating well routine.

I rode the lifecycle 3-4 times a week starting about six weeks before the test. My stress level went way down, I felt much better, had more energy and endurance, was able to think faster and more clearly with less effort, it made it easy to fall asleep at about the same time every night to get a good nights sleep, and made food much more enjoyable.

Good nutrition also helps. A good balance of quality complex carbs and good sources of protein/amino acids is important and helps. Oatmeal is a good source of complex carbs for breakfast. Eggs are a great source of quality protein. Tuna and is a great source of quality protein as well as Omega-3, which is good for the brain.

Also, vitamins and minerals. B-complex vitamins (b-50, b-100 or b-150 complex formulas) are really helpful for energy and brain function/cognition. They are the ones that make your pee bright yellow. They are pretty cheap at CVS or Rite-Aid and other places. Also a standard multivitamin such as Centrum.

All this is simply good to do whether it's to take the LSAT or not.

:lol: I chuckle in a library

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby flem » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:15 pm

There's an evolutionary response from cardiovascular exercise - you think clearer temporarily. If you're stuck on a tough concept or trying to see the subtlety of something, go for a run and try and think about it.

It helped me.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby Jeffort » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:35 pm

lovejopd wrote: :lol: I chuckle in a library


:mrgreen:

flem wrote:There's an evolutionary response from cardiovascular exercise - you think clearer temporarily. If you're stuck on a tough concept or trying to see the subtlety of something, go for a run and try and think about it.

It helped me.


Image

While studying for important difficult tests (UG finals, LSAT, law school finals, the bar exam and others) that is the technique I've used and it always worked out well. When I got lazy and failed to do it leading up to a test my grades suffered.

collegebum1989
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby collegebum1989 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:56 pm

I like lifting weights, and following a healthy diet compliments my studying not because of the nutrition but because of the discipline. Like studying for the LSAT, working out means creating a workout routine and sticking to it, as well as following a good diet.

Being able to maintain all of these things, really gets you in the habit of following through with everything as well as setting goals for yourself to attain a certain level of improvement.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:58 pm

What are all you guys smoking? I think best with a fat dip in after drinking a pot of coffee and eating the local KFC out of business.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby Jeffort » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Tom Joad wrote:What are all you guys smoking? I think best with a fat dip in after drinking a pot of coffee and eating the local KFC out of business.


LMAO

It would be funny to watch you turn green and hurl during the test after swallowing since I don't think the proctors will allow a spit cup on the desk or tolerate you spitting the juice on the floor. :lol:

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Jeffort wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:What are all you guys smoking? I think best with a fat dip in after drinking a pot of coffee and eating the local KFC out of business.


LMAO

It would be funny to watch you turn green and hurl during the test after swallowing since I don't think the proctors will allow a spit cup on the desk or tolerate you spitting the juice on the floor. :lol:

I am done with the LSAT and I always chewed while studying, and I was really nervous about not having nicotine during the test, but the adrenaline made up for it and I don't think withdrawal hurt me.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby Jeffort » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:What are all you guys smoking? I think best with a fat dip in after drinking a pot of coffee and eating the local KFC out of business.


LMAO

It would be funny to watch you turn green and hurl during the test after swallowing since I don't think the proctors will allow a spit cup on the desk or tolerate you spitting the juice on the floor. :lol:

I am done with the LSAT and I always chewed while studying, and I was really nervous about not having nicotine during the test, but the adrenaline made up for it and I don't think withdrawal hurt me.


I used 4mg nicorette gum, two while waiting in line to check in and one during the break. It worked like a charm.

Dip is hardcore, that stuff gives you a hell of a rush. I did it for about two months many years ago, mainly to have a disgusting habit so a girl I was in some sort of relationship with would stop wanting to go on dates, stop coming around and wanting to hang out. It didn't work. lol

d.schoenfeld16
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby d.schoenfeld16 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:25 pm

I would do proper diet and exercise just for yourself and your own health, not just to succeed on the LSAT.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:59 pm

Getting a good night's sleep is far more important in my opinion.

User avatar
beebela
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby beebela » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:21 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Getting a good night's sleep is far more important in my opinion.

This. In particular, try to get into a good sleep cycle the week before test day so you can preform 100%. Generally, being in better overall health will help too but sleep is definitely the most important part IMO.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby bp shinners » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:29 pm

beebela wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:Getting a good night's sleep is far more important in my opinion.

This. In particular, try to get into a good sleep cycle the week before test day so you can preform 100%. Generally, being in better overall health will help too but sleep is definitely the most important part IMO.


Of course, exercising regularly can help you regulate and maintain a healthy sleep schedule, so the two are definitely related.

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby glucose101 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:01 pm

But it isn't going to magically give you extra points on the LSAT, either.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby Cupidity » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Seoulless wrote:I was hoping someone could provide some personal anecdotal experience on how getting their diet and physical health under control (exercising) changed how they performed on the LSATs or I guess any intellectual endeavor.


Not eating improves memory and cognitive speed for short periods of time, but has a long term deleterious effect on health. I ate an early dinner before my LSAT and skipped breakfast.

fosterp
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:09 am

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby fosterp » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:14 pm

I drank smoothies on a regular basis a few months leading up to the lsat and I swear the blueberries I put in them made my brain function better.

83947368
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby 83947368 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:24 pm

.
Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VasaVasori
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 pm

.

Postby VasaVasori » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:04 pm

.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alink09
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby alink09 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:22 pm

I don't know if good diet and exercise will actually help your LSAT score, but for me I try to make sure I get 7 hours of sleep and I eat a ridiculously healthy diet (though I have illnesses that require me to eat this way). My immune system is awful, and being in college you are constantly exposed to illness, so eating healthy will really help you fight that cold/flu/whatever that's going to set you back a week in your studies. Getting a good night's sleep is key to good brain function IMO. There's almost no point in me trying to pull an all-nighter, I don't retain anything. So just stick to a schedule and you'll be able to get your sleep. I usually don't have time for exercise, but I wish I did because its an excellent stress reliever. I loved working out when I lived on campus (across from the gym), but now I can't find much time for it.

UTexasLaw
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Re: Proper Diet and Exercise - how much does it help?

Postby UTexasLaw » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:52 am

Do cardio, it helps keep the stress low. As for diet, low carbs, moderate protein, don't eat anything after 10.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, Anon.y.mousse., dontsaywhatyoumean, Instrumental, proteinshake and 15 guests