Is this plenty of time?

bernaldiaz

Re: Studying for seven months?

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:31 am

Probably too much time.

sammy416

Postby sammy416 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:39 am

bernaldiaz wrote:Probably too much time.

Haha, well i didn't do so well on my first cold diagnostic test. Kind of embarrassed of the particular score...

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:37 pm

It depends on how you're studying. If you're talking 7 months of good, directed studying...then I'd say it's too long (you will probably exhaust your materials well before the test date). If you spend a few months reading a couple LSAT books in your spare time, comparing different methodologies, and maybe taking a couple practice tests here and there to warm up to the real studying, then I think most of the harm in studying that long is not an issue. I'm taking the test in June, and I will have spent about a year "studying", but June-January I was mainly putzing around reading the PS Bibles. It required almost no energy and I have the luxury of time, so while it was completely unnecessary, it didn't really hurt me at all. Now that I'm actually studying and I know how potentially draining it can be, I can't imagine spending more than 4 months (say hello to adrenal fatigue).

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:43 pm

bdeebs wrote:It depends on how you're studying. If you're talking 7 months of good, directed studying...then I'd say it's too long (you will probably exhaust your materials well before the test date). If you spend a few months reading a couple LSAT books in your spare time, comparing different methodologies, and maybe taking a couple practice tests here and there to warm up to the real studying, then I think most of the harm in studying that long is not an issue. I'm taking the test in June, and I will have spent about a year "studying", but June-January I was mainly putzing around reading the PS Bibles. It required almost no energy and I have the luxury of time, so while it was completely unnecessary, it didn't really hurt me at all. Now that I'm actually studying and I know how potentially draining it can be, I can't imagine spending more than 4 months (say hello to adrenal fatigue).

TITCR

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:59 pm

I did three intense months. I couldn't imagine doing any more than that. I think I saw almost every problem ever published between doing drilling by section type, the bibles, a velocity class, then practice tests.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:10 pm

It all depends on how much time you have available and your particular work ethic. The same applies to writing personal statements-- some have the luxury to fully focus on their statement for one intense week, others are more sporadic and to spread the work out over a longer period of time (e.g., people out of school and working full-time).

Think realistically about the time you can devote each day/week, and how intense your studying will most likely be; then, you can figure your ideal timeline from there.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”