Prepping on your own and taking a prep course?

NicoleLauren17
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:25 pm

Prepping on your own and taking a prep course?

Postby NicoleLauren17 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:29 am

I'm taking the June 11th LSAT, and I'm taking the virtual Powerscore course that is April 24-May 30. I want to start prepping on my own and use the course to supplement what I already know, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I've already received my Powerscore books, so should I try and work through the books on my own? Buy a different set of books? If so, what are the best books/methods to use?

The Powerscore books I have are not the different Bibles, but the same methods are supposedly within the books so I don't want to buy the Bibles like the pithypike study guide says. So basically I need recommendations ha. Thanks! :D

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Prepping on your own and taking a prep course?

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:21 am

follow the study guide by Pithypike stickied in this forum. It's possibly the best thing out there.

Also, what is your diagnostic score? Whether you need a class is basically a combination of your ability to self-motivate and your natural ability. If you are a good self-studier and can get into the 160s fairly quickly, you have very little reason for taking a course

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Prepping on your own and taking a prep course?

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:02 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NicoleLauren17
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:25 pm

Re: Prepping on your own and taking a prep course?

Postby NicoleLauren17 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:13 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:follow the study guide by Pithypike stickied in this forum. It's possibly the best thing out there.

Also, what is your diagnostic score? Whether you need a class is basically a combination of your ability to self-motivate and your natural ability. If you are a good self-studier and can get into the 160s fairly quickly, you have very little reason for taking a course



My diagnostic was 160. I don't think that I necessarily need a class but my grandpa wanted me to take one so he paid for it. If I don't have to pay for then why not? The pithypike study guide utilizes Kaplan Mastery, is it only available on sites like Amazon and Ebay?

User avatar
Mr.Binks
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Prepping on your own and taking a prep course?

Postby Mr.Binks » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:25 am

NicoleLauren17 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:follow the study guide by Pithypike stickied in this forum. It's possibly the best thing out there.

Also, what is your diagnostic score? Whether you need a class is basically a combination of your ability to self-motivate and your natural ability. If you are a good self-studier and can get into the 160s fairly quickly, you have very little reason for taking a course



My diagnostic was 160. I don't think that I necessarily need a class but my grandpa wanted me to take one so he paid for it. If I don't have to pay for then why not? The pithypike study guide utilizes Kaplan Mastery, is it only available on sites like Amazon and Ebay?


Because even though you don't pay for it, it's still someone's money wasted. If you can just self-prep and achieve the same or better results, why waste money? Also, a class will likely be pretty redundant if you're already PTing in the 160s. Chances are, it won't be all too helpful. The key is practice.

User avatar
Simplicity
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Prepping on your own and taking a prep course?

Postby Simplicity » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:33 am

JamMasterJ wrote:follow the study guide by Pithypike stickied in this forum. It's possibly the best thing out there.

Also, what is your diagnostic score? Whether you need a class is basically a combination of your ability to self-motivate and your natural ability. If you are a good self-studier and can get into the 160s fairly quickly, you have very little reason for taking a course

This.

If you have the motivation, and you're not dumb, a class will honestly hurt you more than it will help. IMO. There's no reason to spend 20+ minutes dissecting a problem when you already understand it. That time could be much better spent doing more problems or taking full-length tests

With a 160, you're smart enough that the class isn't necessary. Now, it's up to you to practice on your own (which you would have to do, anyway, if you took the class).

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15487
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Prepping on your own and taking a prep course?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Simplicity wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:follow the study guide by Pithypike stickied in this forum. It's possibly the best thing out there.

Also, what is your diagnostic score? Whether you need a class is basically a combination of your ability to self-motivate and your natural ability. If you are a good self-studier and can get into the 160s fairly quickly, you have very little reason for taking a course

This.

If you have the motivation, and you're not dumb, a class will honestly hurt you more than it will help. IMO. There's no reason to spend 20+ minutes dissecting a problem when you already understand it. That time could be much better spent doing more problems or taking full-length tests

With a 160, you're smart enough that the class isn't necessary. Now, it's up to you to practice on your own (which you would have to do, anyway, if you took the class).


I disagree with this. I was scoring in the 160s when I signed up for a Testmasters class and improved substantially. Whether through pure self-study or through a class you will have to spend lots of time working through problems on your own. But a class provides a structure and additional accountability that many people need.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: freekick, GioChanturia, Instrumental, StopLawying, Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests