Anyone Increased Their Reading Comp Speed Significantly?

unitball

Anyone Increased Their Reading Comp Speed Significantly?

Postby unitball » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:13 am

In short, I've failed to increase my reading speed. usually I run out of time while i'm just finishing the 3rd passage or run out of time while doing reading the 4th. I've gone through the manhattan reading comprehension guide and I also took the TestMasters prep course. I've been studying since October. I've been doing dense reading every day in the catagories similar to those that appear on the lsat (law, environment, arts/literature, history/culture, science, etc..). Still, Im generally unable to get through the material any quicker.

I usually dont make any notations on the passage, and most of the time can answer the questions from memory with very good accuracy, unless it's one of those questions referencing a specific line in the text (in which I go back to look).

I've been working on increasing my speed for about 4 months now with little to no improvement, so any help would be much appreciated. I've searched the forum for posts related to reading speed, which offer many suggestions, but i've yet to hear anyone say they actually were able to increase their reading speed significantly.

I also have the same problems with logical reasoning.

All of this hardly ever reading up until now is biting me in the ass >_<

bernaldiaz

Re: Anyone Increased Their Reading Comp Speed Significantly?

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:25 am

Start reading at night. When I began reading for pleasure every night for a couple hours before bed my RC speed went way up. It doesn't even need to be sense stuff like the Economist, just find some good novels that you'll enjoy. I recommend The Name of the Wind.

lawlcat4179

Postby lawlcat4179 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:15 am

How long does it take you to read a reading comp passage? By RC passage I mean just the text, not the questions that follow. The reason that I ask is because its been my experience that being slow on reading comp is not so much a speed problem as it is a comprehension problem. To be able to get through all passages and the subsequent questions, I've found that you want to finish the passage reading in about 3-4 mins, depending on the difficulty and length of each passage. For me personally, I found that the closer I was to 4 minutes, the more questions I would get right. For me anyway, faster reading speed actually led to me doing much worse on the questions.

Its hard to be able to give decent advice though unless I've got some context. What questions do you miss? Are they questions that are about the overview of the passage (main idea Q's, Purpose Q's, etc), or do you miss mostly detail Q's about particular pieces of the text? The more info you give me, the more I can help.

unitball

Postby unitball » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:31 am

^ That's the thing.. I rarely miss questions. Of the questions I read, I might miss 1 at most. It just seems like I read words rather slowly, because even if I read the passage without re-reading, and only look at the passage again when they reference a specific line in the passage, I end up running out of time. And this is with me immediately eliminating wrong answers and finding the correct one.

The prep course and Manhattan reading comprehension guide helped a lot with improving my accuracy. I'll try reading books at night as well from here on out. Any other input is welcome

chewdak

Postby chewdak » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:34 am

unitball wrote:^ That's the thing.. I rarely miss questions. Of the questions I read, I might miss 1 at most. It just seems like I read words rather slowly, because even if I read the passage without re-reading, and only look at the passage again when they reference a specific line in the passage, I end up running out of time. And this is with me immediately eliminating wrong answers and finding the correct one.

The prep course and Manhattan reading comprehension guide helped a lot with improving my accuracy. I'll try reading books at night as well from here on out. Any other input is welcome

Do you read actively or do you passively 'absorb' the passage?
I've always read passively, sort of quieted my mind and soaked the passage in, and answered questions very accurately, -2 at most.
Time was an issue: I managed around 34-35 minutes on PTs but under the stress of actual LSAT ran out of time on the 4th passage.
I believe I need to learn to read actively, asking questions in my mind and paraphrasing, might be slow going at first while I learn this new approach.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:52 am

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bgibbs

Postby Bgibbs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Vasa and bernaldiaz combined essentially equal my advice. Read often; I've been reading books for enjoyment for most of my life so by now I can speed through a passage while gaining the general theme of it and what the point of it was. The only way to increase reading comprehension is to constantly read, and by doing so your reading speed and your ability to understand what your just read will increase. Also, the first time you read the passage, don't over-think it and break it down to a ridiculous level. This just wastes time.

Instead, as Vasa said, read it to gain a general gist of what it's about. The first time you read it you should be concerned with figuring out what the author is trying to accomplish in that piece. Then, go to the questions. If you understood what the author was saying you'll easily get the "what was the conclusion" type questions, and the other questions normally direct you to the exact place in the passage you need to answer it so an exact knowledge is unnecessary.

unitball

Postby unitball » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:24 pm

chewdak wrote:Do you read actively or do you passively 'absorb' the passage?
I've always read passively, sort of quieted my mind and soaked the passage in, and answered questions very accurately, -2 at most.
Time was an issue: I managed around 34-35 minutes on PTs but under the stress of actual LSAT ran out of time on the 4th passage.
I believe I need to learn to read actively, asking questions in my mind and paraphrasing, might be slow going at first while I learn this new approach.

I think I read very passively. I just kindof go through and read it, taking in the info. One thing I do try to keep in mind as I read is how the paragraphs relate to one another.

chewdak

Postby chewdak » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:01 pm

unitball wrote:I think I read very passively. I just kindof go through and read it, taking in the info. One thing I do try to keep in mind as I read is how the paragraphs relate to one another.

I think some sort of 'mechanical' approach is in order. Unconscious 'gut' approach really fell short for me,
for it to work one has to be able to maintain very high concentration without getting too anxious.
I think if you broke down LR stims and RC passages using whatever series of steps you find works for you and drilled
those steps, that would work better.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:13 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Wed May 29, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:44 am

unitball wrote:In short, I've failed to increase my reading speed. usually I run out of time while i'm just finishing the 3rd passage or run out of time while doing reading the 4th. I've gone through the manhattan reading comprehension guide and I also took the TestMasters prep course. I've been studying since October. I've been doing dense reading every day in the catagories similar to those that appear on the lsat (law, environment, arts/literature, history/culture, science, etc..). Still, Im generally unable to get through the material any quicker.

I usually dont make any notations on the passage, and most of the time can answer the questions from memory with very good accuracy, unless it's one of those questions referencing a specific line in the text (in which I go back to look).

I've been working on increasing my speed for about 4 months now with little to no improvement, so any help would be much appreciated. I've searched the forum for posts related to reading speed, which offer many suggestions, but i've yet to hear anyone say they actually were able to increase their reading speed significantly.

I also have the same problems with logical reasoning.

All of this hardly ever reading up until now is biting me in the ass >_<

I was able to increase my reading speed a little bit by reading for a few hours a day for a few months, but it was hard going. I recommend practicing reading very quickly. I took an English class which had us reading 200 pages of Greek writing such as Homer. I found that i could force myself to read much more quickly when under that kind of pressure. I'm an accounting major, so that much reading was alien to me.
Also, if you are answering most questions from memory you might benefit from reading just a little bit quicker instead of reading for memory. Its a thin line, but practice makes perfect

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:58 am

Oh yeah obviously if you have the ability to answer from memory that's going to help a ton. I'd say 75% of the questions I didn't go back to the passage. I finished RC with like 12 minutes on the real test. I checked my answers, made an anagram of my name (his melodic coat) and went the bathroom.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:14 am

So some people have said something about just reading whatever "for pleasure", and that this would help in RC. I wonder if reading through TLS helps. lol

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:18 am

I think doing RC quickly is more about being able to locate the answers to questions quickly than it is about reading speed. Yeah, it's helpful, but it isn't what makes or breaks you

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:21 am

I just did a fuckton in a row, repeatedly for about 2 days.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:18 am

Geetar Man wrote:So some people have said something about just reading whatever "for pleasure", and that this would help in RC.

I wonder if reading through TLS helps. lol

haha, the answer is no, especially if you read posts here for many hours everyday.

Reading a bunch of mostly short one or two line/sentence posts written with incomplete sentences, bad grammar and spelling, misuse/slang use of words that include a lot of internet/Txt messaging acronyms is not going to help with LSAT RC. However, it can be a fun diversion when you have free time to kill (or are sitting in a really boring class at school) and want to have some fun playing on the internet!

Alexp1206

Postby Alexp1206 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:10 pm

I guarantee that you are actually READING TOO FAST! Yes I said it. LSAT RC passages are very dense and wordy and can often be hard to grasp (think opposite of Harry Potter). In order to speed up in this section you need to focus on COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDING the passage the first read through. That doesn't mean you have to memorize the details but you should be able to articulate the authors main point, his attitude, and the general structure of the passage. What this will do is shave off ALOT of time when answering the questions.

Once you move to the questions it is of the utmost importance that you answer the questions BEFORE LOOKING AT THE ANSWER CHOICES, allowing the authors main point/attitude to color your answers. Some call this "prephrasing." Basically the hardest thing about the Reading Comprehension is the answer choices. They are there to destroy you. If you can articulate an answer before moving to the answer choices (whether its from memory or, for more specific questions, by finding it in the passage) you will FLY through the questions, rather than wasting precious time wrestling over C and D and how they seem to mean EXACTLY THE SAME THING!!

Long story short. Slow down to speed up. Focus on really grasping the passage. When you get the questions ALWAYS prephrase your answer. Through accuracy you will build speed. I was consistently missing about 4-6 questions per RC section due to timing issues... now I rarely miss more than 1 or 2.

Hope this helps.....

john1990

Postby john1990 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:48 pm

Alexp1206 wrote:I guarantee that you are actually READING TOO FAST! Yes I said it. LSAT RC passages are very dense and wordy and can often be hard to grasp (think opposite of Harry Potter). In order to speed up in this section you need to focus on COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDING the passage the first read through. That doesn't mean you have to memorize the details but you should be able to articulate the authors main point, his attitude, and the general structure of the passage. What this will do is shave off ALOT of time when answering the questions.

Once you move to the questions it is of the utmost importance that you answer the questions BEFORE LOOKING AT THE ANSWER CHOICES, allowing the authors main point/attitude to color your answers. Some call this "prephrasing." Basically the hardest thing about the Reading Comprehension is the answer choices. They are there to destroy you. If you can articulate an answer before moving to the answer choices (whether its from memory or, for more specific questions, by finding it in the passage) you will FLY through the questions, rather than wasting precious time wrestling over C and D and how they seem to mean EXACTLY THE SAME THING!!

Long story short. Slow down to speed up. Focus on really grasping the passage. When you get the questions ALWAYS prephrase your answer. Through accuracy you will build speed. I was consistently missing about 4-6 questions per RC section due to timing issues... now I rarely miss more than 1 or 2.

Hope this helps.....

+1

UTexasLaw

Postby UTexasLaw » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:51 am

Search amazon on books teaching you to speed-read. Best skill ever

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:06 am

UTexasLaw wrote:Search amazon on books teaching you to speed-read. Best skill ever

Speed reading RC or the content of the other sections is a great way to kill your LSAT score. Image

Do not speed read. Instead, actively read the material carefully and critically. Doing that is necessary to perform well and achieve a high score. People that try to speed read in order to deal with the time limit typically make many careless errors that significantly lower their scores.

The difficulty of being able to achieve a high score on the LSAT under timed conditions is not caused by the volume of text you have to read in order to answer the questions correctly.

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:20 pm

I find that, doing a brief overview of a paragraph after reading it (5-10 second recap) while reading helps me understand the structure and flow better. And I have to agree with the post above me. Slow reading the stimulus makes the questions seem easier and more approachable.

The only problem I have is balancing the global vs. specific parts of passage.

I've noticed that no matter how difficult the passage is, I usually will get 1 question wrong. When its a detail-oriented passage, I tend to focus on examples, author's references, but always have get the main Idea questions wrong. However, when its a very conceptual passage, with scope laid out very easily, I always get the detail questions wrong.

Suggestions?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”