Powerscore Bible Question

CincinnatusND

Powerscore Bible Question

Postby CincinnatusND » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:05 pm

Hey everyone,

I just ordered the PowerScore LG and LR Bibles and I have a few questions.

First off, I'm concerned that by studying the bibles a large portion of the PT's will be rendered invalid measures of my progress, as the bibles use genuine LSAT questions. Is this a valid concern? Are most of the questions covered from a select few tests? Will I still have plenty of "virgin" PT's to continue my prep after using the bibles?

Secondly, should I study the bible in the order it is presented? Or should I study selectively based solely on what I struggle with? I'm about 4 tests into my prep and am scoring around 174 in the past 3 tests.. Are the bibles the right tools to bridge the gap to scoring in the 176+ range, or am I going about this the wrong way by ordering the bibles?

Thank you for any insight you can provide!

Mr.Binks

Re: Powerscore Bible Question

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:49 pm

Don't go to law school. You're too smart for it...

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Not such a valid concern. There bibles really don't use that many examples in the grand scheme of things. You will still be a 'virgin' when it comes to most of the tests (especially on the more recent tests, which is great!)

I would just study the bible in the order presented. To be honest, it will likely not help you very much if you're scoring that high. You're already in a great position to do well.

CincinnatusND

Postby CincinnatusND » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:54 am

Thanks gaud, I appreciate the input. This is unrelated to the topic, but, how worthwhile are the first 10-20 tests? Has the format changed enough that they aren't very similar to current tests?

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:30 am

OP, I was/am in a similar situation as you, but perhaps a little further down the road so I'll try to answer from my personal journey. The value I found in the first 20ish tests was for pure practice, mainly with reading comprehension. While you are experimenting to develop what sort of note taking style you like (if any at all), it is useful to have throw away tests so you aren't concerned at all about the test itself and can concentrate purely on a system that is efficient for you. It's also nice for problem identification/drilling/identifying weaknesses in LR. I basically used them to try out experimental techniques or untimed thorough analysis to prep myself for timed material later on. The games are just fun. I usually do 2-4 games (sometimes repeats to prevent myself from using up too much material) to start a study session because I genuinely enjoy them, and they get my mind right for the real work.

As far as the bibles are concerned, they are useful...but for where you are already, I would not be too concerned with getting a virgin copy if you are at all concerned about cost. A lot of the drills are so elementary that it is not worth the time to physically write out the answers, and there aren't a whole lot of practice questions. I found them mostly useful in providing a structure for what I already intuitively knew, so that knowledge was easier to access quickly. There are also some useful tips that you would likely find out on your own, but are nice to know so that you can start looking out for them sooner rather than later. .... Okay, I just read that you already ordered them, so disregard the advice not to order a virgin copy.

The following is simply what I wish I would have done. If you feel like we are of like minds, then take whatever seems useful. If not, then do your own thing. My suggested method of attack on the LR book would be to read the entire thing fairly quickly. I'd anticipate that you pick up a useful tip/trick every page or two (depending on the section...the section on pure logic and conditionals may require a little more thought unless you're already familiar with it) and you can highlight those for easier reference later on. This should give you a good framework. Take a few timed practice sections, review the results, and take the information you've gleaned from the review to direct your more in depth review of the bible. By this time you should be familiar enough with the material that you can form your own guide on where to go from here, but that is how I would have approached it.

The LG section was more foreign to me, so I found a more thorough initial reading useful in this case. My only advice here is to be looking for ways to alter their diagramming method to suit your personal needs. I originally just did everything they said to do, and I struggled on time a little bit. Eventually I figured out that certain diagramming methods they advocate were essentially cluttering up my page because I had an intuitive feel that made them unnecessary. On the other hand, there were certain obvious things that I had to make EXTRA apparent because I always forgot about them and would make a silly mistake. So don't be afraid to bend their methods to suit your needs.

Hope this helps. PM me if you want to swap ideas. I have a feeling you'll be shooting for a 178+ soon. It's good to have goals that force you to work hard.

Edit: I'm assuming timed(ish) conditions for your 174 scores. If they were taken untimed, I might advocate a slower initial reading of the LR book than I originally posted.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”