LSAT Before Military?

MethodMan
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:09 am

LSAT Before Military?

Postby MethodMan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:10 am

SHORT STORY:
Took a cold timed diagnostic a few days ago, got a 166 with skipping three AR questions because I ran out of time. Will optimistically graduate undergrad this spring with a 3.1 GPA from a national T30-40, regionally-strong business school, but don’t want a career in finance (my major). Applying to highly-competitive U.S. Marine Corps Officer Candidate School, for which earliest possible entry is this October. Ideally (bear with me), I’m accepted into OCS, serve my country without getting killed/maimed/PTSD/etc., honorably discharge and ready to apply to law school at age 26 with Post-9/11 G.I. Bill for financial support. Should I study for/take the LSAT this coming October/whichever test date is the latest before I enter the military, assuming plan works out, to avoid possibly losing my mental test-taking-whatever-dexterity over the next few years? This way, I can hopefully score well enough to not have to worry about studying/re-taking (since scores last five years) either during my service or once I’m out, and can get right to applying to T20 + top regional after my service. Obviously, I know that life rarely goes according to plan, and I’m well-aware of the risks at every stage, starting with not even getting into OCS in the first place. My more-thought-out reasons for both military and law school are in the long story version below (as if this wasn’t long enough, haha). I’d really appreciate feedback positive and negative both to my questions and my overall life plan and anything else. Give me real talk if I'm being over-optimistic or naive or whatever. This site has been the bees-knees for my law school research.

LONG SOAPBOX STORY:
I’ve lurked here for about half a year now and finally have reason to post. I’m a final-semester senior undergrad finance major at a respected private business school in the south (more regionally-strong but still T30-40, and the #1-or-2 in its huge metropolitan city, in which I was also born and raised and wouldn’t mind working). For multiple reasons, I’ve firmly decided: 1) I don’t want to make a career out of finance,; and 2) I want to do something for an unselfish purpose that I can believe in every day. This has in turn led me to conclude: 1) I want to serve my country in the military; and 2) I want to become a federal prosecutor. Before you write me off, I’ve read enough threads on here to know that I’m an idealistic tool, and that Big Justice is one of the most difficult fields to enter and the odds are way against me, even if I were to get into T14. However, I believe that I’m still young enough (but nearing the edge) where I still have the opportunity to plan for and pursue my dreams, and I’m jaded enough being around finance majors day-in and day-out that I know that I don’t necessarily want to make money just for money’s sake, especially in the world of finance (but I’m also not ruling out any reasonable chance at BigLaw money to support my parents/future family).

I’m currently in the process of applying to U.S. Marine Corps Officer Candidate School, which I know is just as competitive as/if not more than most law schools, albeit competitive for different reasons. For hypothetical purposes, let's say I’m accepted and report to fall OCS this October, then serve my four years active duty. I fully understand that there’s always a risk that I get killed/severely injured, stop-lossed after my four years into a full eight years active duty, or we go to war with Iran/North Korea/China/New Evil Country/etc., but assuming I get out in one healthy piece after four years, I’ll be 26-years-old with the financial support of the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill on my side, and hopefully be a better human being for the experience.

I just took a cold timed diagnostic (June 2007 exam) a few days ago, and got a 166 with having to skip three questions on the Analytical Reasoning section because I ran out of time. I was a National Merit Finalist in high school, which, combined with my cold LSAT score, I would venture signifies that I’m good at standardized tests, if nothing more. I haven't been so good, however, at applying myself to getting top grades: I currently have a 3.07 GPA, and hope to graduate with a 3.1 (no strong upward trend); which I attribute to focusing a lot of time on other things like being an executive officer in my fraternity and knowing how to waste time. I’m sure that, without distractions such as living in a frat house for two years and especially after being a Marine officer, the necessary concentration/self-discipline for everyday law school study won’t be an issue.

My main question is: would it be worth it for me to plan for an LSAT exam this year, as in study from now until the June exam, or if I’m accepted into a January or later OCS, until the October exam? Secondary questions: What is an optimistic/pessimistic score range for me assuming I put in the appropriate study hours for months? How viable/realistic is my plan? I know that LSAT scores are kept for five years, so my thinking is to take it this year before I join up and avoid the risk of losing my mental test-taking ability or whatever over the years, while getting out in time and still having that score to use for applications. Obviously, I know that life never goes perfectly according to plan, and I’m well-aware of the risks at every stage, starting with not even getting into OCS in the first place and ending with the very real possibility that I experience physical and mental trauma/death, or even worse, don’t get a proper legal job even out of a T14 school! :lol: Also, I’d appreciate general feedback both positive and negative on my overall life plan and anything else. This site has been the bees-knees for my law school research.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby chem » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:17 am

MethodMan wrote:SHORT STORY:
Took a cold timed diagnostic a few days ago, got a 166 with skipping three AR questions because I ran out of time. Will optimistically graduate undergrad this spring with a 3.1 GPA from a national T30-40, regionally-strong business school, but don’t want a career in finance (my major). Applying to highly-competitive U.S. Marine Corps Officer Candidate School, for which earliest possible entry is this October. Ideally (bear with me), I’m accepted into OCS, serve my country without getting killed/maimed/PTSD/etc., honorably discharge and ready to apply to law school at age 26 with Post-9/11 G.I. Bill for financial support. Should I study for/take the LSAT this coming October/whichever test date is the latest before I enter the military, assuming plan works out, to avoid possibly losing my mental test-taking-whatever-dexterity over the next few years? This way, I can hopefully score well enough to not have to worry about studying/re-taking (since scores last five years) either during my service or once I’m out, and can get right to applying to T20 + top regional after my service. Obviously, I know that life rarely goes according to plan, and I’m well-aware of the risks at every stage, starting with not even getting into OCS in the first place. My more-thought-out reasons for both military and law school are in the long story version below (as if this wasn’t long enough, haha). I’d really appreciate feedback positive and negative both to my questions and my overall life plan and anything else. Give me real talk if I'm being over-optimistic or naive or whatever. This site has been the bees-knees for my law school research.

LONG SOAPBOX STORY:
I’ve lurked here for about half a year now and finally have reason to post. I’m a final-semester senior undergrad finance major at a respected private business school in the south (more regionally-strong but still T30-40, and the #1-or-2 in its huge metropolitan city, in which I was also born and raised and wouldn’t mind working). For multiple reasons, I’ve firmly decided: 1) I don’t want to make a career out of finance,; and 2) I want to do something for an unselfish purpose that I can believe in every day. This has in turn led me to conclude: 1) I want to serve my country in the military; and 2) I want to become a federal prosecutor. Before you write me off, I’ve read enough threads on here to know that I’m an idealistic tool, and that Big Justice is one of the most difficult fields to enter and the odds are way against me, even if I were to get into T14. However, I believe that I’m still young enough (but nearing the edge) where I still have the opportunity to plan for and pursue my dreams, and I’m jaded enough being around finance majors day-in and day-out that I know that I don’t necessarily want to make money just for money’s sake, especially in the world of finance (but I’m also not ruling out any reasonable chance at BigLaw money to support my parents/future family).

I’m currently in the process of applying to U.S. Marine Corps Officer Candidate School, which I know is just as competitive as/if not more than most law schools, albeit competitive for different reasons. For hypothetical purposes, let's say I’m accepted and report to fall OCS this October, then serve my four years active duty. I fully understand that there’s always a risk that I get killed/severely injured, stop-lossed after my four years into a full eight years active duty, or we go to war with Iran/North Korea/China/New Evil Country/etc., but assuming I get out in one healthy piece after four years, I’ll be 26-years-old with the financial support of the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill on my side, and hopefully be a better human being for the experience.

I just took a cold timed diagnostic (June 2007 exam) a few days ago, and got a 166 with having to skip three questions on the Analytical Reasoning section because I ran out of time. I was a National Merit Finalist in high school, which, combined with my cold LSAT score, I would venture signifies that I’m good at standardized tests, if nothing more. I haven't been so good, however, at applying myself to getting top grades: I currently have a 3.07 GPA, and hope to graduate with a 3.1 (no strong upward trend); which I attribute to focusing a lot of time on other things like being an executive officer in my fraternity and knowing how to waste time. I’m sure that, without distractions such as living in a frat house for two years and especially after being a Marine officer, the necessary concentration/self-discipline for everyday law school study won’t be an issue.

My main question is: would it be worth it for me to plan for an LSAT exam this year, as in study from now until the June exam, or if I’m accepted into a January or later OCS, until the October exam? Secondary questions: What is an optimistic/pessimistic score range for me assuming I put in the appropriate study hours for months? How viable/realistic is my plan? I know that LSAT scores are kept for five years, so my thinking is to take it this year before I join up and avoid the risk of losing my mental test-taking ability or whatever over the years, while getting out in time and still having that score to use for applications. Obviously, I know that life never goes perfectly according to plan, and I’m well-aware of the risks at every stage, starting with not even getting into OCS in the first place and ending with the very real possibility that I experience physical and mental trauma/death, or even worse, don’t get a proper legal job even out of a T14 school! :lol: Also, I’d appreciate general feedback both positive and negative on my overall life plan and anything else. This site has been the bees-knees for my law school research.



If you start studying now, there is no reason you can't break 170 by June. I studied for about that long with my first cold diagnostic around 169 and was able to break 170, and I only studied once every saturday. I could definitely see Northwestern in your future if you got your LSAT above 170, with Michigan and an ED to UVA thrown in the mix too. Life plan sounds good, and I salute you for being willing to serve in our armed forces. Have you considered JAG? Looked at PithyPikes study guide?

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:42 am

Start studying now.--> Take and nail it in June or October. Maybe even June, then October? -->Military for 4 years (even if you cut the 5 years close, you can always get accepted and defer matriculating for a year).-->Law School for frees.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby Jeffort » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:15 pm

OP, I'm impressed by your dedication, commitment, attitude and everything else. You clearly have thought this out well, were raised well by your family and taught good values. I enjoyed reading your post.

I wish you the best of luck getting accepted into OCS.

Important fact that the previous poster mistook. LSAT scores do stay on your record that is reported to law schools for five years, but law schools (at least the decent ones) want and many specifically require an LSAT score from within the previous three testing cycle years of when you apply.

Also, you can take the LSAT internationally while in the military if you get in and get deployed, LSAC administers it all over the globe and has a process to request an unpublished/special testing location. I've tutored many soldiers via internet communication tools while they've been stationed somewhere overseas and many of them took the test while deployed somewhere.

MethodMan
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:09 am

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby MethodMan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:55 pm

chem wrote:
MethodMan wrote:SHORT STORY:
Took a cold timed diagnostic a few days ago, got a 166 with skipping three AR questions because I ran out of time. Will optimistically graduate undergrad this spring with a 3.1 GPA from a national T30-40, regionally-strong business school, but don’t want a career in finance (my major). Applying to highly-competitive U.S. Marine Corps Officer Candidate School, for which earliest possible entry is this October. Ideally (bear with me), I’m accepted into OCS, serve my country without getting killed/maimed/PTSD/etc., honorably discharge and ready to apply to law school at age 26 with Post-9/11 G.I. Bill for financial support. Should I study for/take the LSAT this coming October/whichever test date is the latest before I enter the military, assuming plan works out, to avoid possibly losing my mental test-taking-whatever-dexterity over the next few years? This way, I can hopefully score well enough to not have to worry about studying/re-taking (since scores last five years) either during my service or once I’m out, and can get right to applying to T20 + top regional after my service. Obviously, I know that life rarely goes according to plan, and I’m well-aware of the risks at every stage, starting with not even getting into OCS in the first place. My more-thought-out reasons for both military and law school are in the long story version below (as if this wasn’t long enough, haha). I’d really appreciate feedback positive and negative both to my questions and my overall life plan and anything else. Give me real talk if I'm being over-optimistic or naive or whatever. This site has been the bees-knees for my law school research.



If you start studying now, there is no reason you can't break 170 by June. I studied for about that long with my first cold diagnostic around 169 and was able to break 170, and I only studied once every saturday. I could definitely see Northwestern in your future if you got your LSAT above 170, with Michigan and an ED to UVA thrown in the mix too. Life plan sounds good, and I salute you for being willing to serve in our armed forces. Have you considered JAG? Looked at PithyPikes study guide?


Thanks for your great response! I definitely feel more validated in my rationale; I think it would be a dream come true to go to any of those schools you mentioned in the future. I'm not really considering JAG because I'm interested in more comprehensive work than what JAG's do (at least from my understanding of what they do). On the other hand, I might get in and find out that I love what they do, so I'm not ruling it out either. I've read Pithypike's study guide, so the next step is to buy those books. I'm not too excited about how much it all will probably cost, but obviously it's more than worth it. My goal is definitely to get as high above 170 as possible, so here goes! Thanks again.

MethodMan
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:09 am

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby MethodMan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:58 pm

Jeffort wrote:OP, I'm impressed by your dedication, commitment, attitude and everything else. You clearly have thought this out well, were raised well by your family and taught good values. I enjoyed reading your post.

I wish you the best of luck getting accepted into OCS.

Important fact that the previous poster mistook. LSAT scores do stay on your record that is reported to law schools for five years, but law schools (at least the decent ones) want and many specifically require an LSAT score from within the previous three testing cycle years of when you apply.

Also, you can take the LSAT internationally while in the military if you get in and get deployed, LSAC administers it all over the globe and has a process to request an unpublished/special testing location. I've tutored many soldiers via internet communication tools while they've been stationed somewhere overseas and many of them took the test while deployed somewhere.


Thanks for the kind words! I didn't know about that policy of requiring more recent tests, or that I could take the LSAT internationally. Definitely something to think about.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby Jeffort » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:31 am

MethodMan wrote:
Jeffort wrote:OP, I'm impressed by your dedication, commitment, attitude and everything else. You clearly have thought this out well, were raised well by your family and taught good values. I enjoyed reading your post.

I wish you the best of luck getting accepted into OCS.

Important fact that the previous poster mistook. LSAT scores do stay on your record that is reported to law schools for five years, but law schools (at least the decent ones) want and many specifically require an LSAT score from within the previous three testing cycle years of when you apply.

Also, you can take the LSAT internationally while in the military if you get in and get deployed, LSAC administers it all over the globe and has a process to request an unpublished/special testing location. I've tutored many soldiers via internet communication tools while they've been stationed somewhere overseas and many of them took the test while deployed somewhere.


Thanks for the kind words! I didn't know about that policy of requiring more recent tests, or that I could take the LSAT internationally. Definitely something to think about.


If you get into OCS and end up deployed somewhere on a navy ship overseas like many Marines, you can request a special shipboard administration from LSAC. You have to start the process far in advance for it to work out. Many soldiers have been accommodated and administered an official LSAT on a US Military vessel/ship while out to sea or while stationed at an overseas base in the past.

User avatar
sinisterkid
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:09 am

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby sinisterkid » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:37 am

I'm a Marine Officer, and I took the LSAT in Dec 2007 prior to going to OCS in May 2008. Sadly, I didn't study like I should have and performed well below my potential and scored a 161. All I cared about during that time period was working out and prepping for OCS.

That said, take it before you head to OCS. I honestly feel like you will be more prepared to take it now while in school when your intellect is actively engaged every day. The Marine Corps wears you down, both physically and mentally. Due to my deployment and op tempo over the past year I was unable to take the LSAT for the upcoming cycle, and there is no guarantee your command will work with you to let you adequately study and take the LSAT once you're in.

Once I get out in March, I plan on studying my rear off for the June LSAT and maybe come off a few waitlists (assuming I even make it on any) -- I've applied to several of the T14 as long reaches, hoping that one of them will give me a shot.

Too long; didn't read version: take it before OCS.

Send me a message and I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have about OCS, TBS, MOS selection, and life in the fleet.

Good luck!

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby mattviphky » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am

Well he can take the test now, apply 3 years from now, and then defer his seat at wherever he is accepted.

User avatar
sinisterkid
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:09 am

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby sinisterkid » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:13 am

mattviphky wrote:Well he can take the test now, apply 3 years from now, and then defer his seat at wherever he is accepted.


Yes, he could; however, the experiences he'll gain in the Marine Corps will make his PS and application as a whole much more compelling and attractive. Right now, he's just another student who says he's going to join the Marine Corps. In 4 years, he'll have tons of leadership experience and deployments under his belt, and law schools will be able to say in their class profile that they have admitted a Marine Corps Officer.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:14 am

sinisterkid wrote:
mattviphky wrote:Well he can take the test now, apply 3 years from now, and then defer his seat at wherever he is accepted.


Yes, he could; however, the experiences he'll gain in the Marine Corps will make his PS and application as a whole much more compelling and attractive. Right now, he's just another student who says he's going to join the Marine Corps. In 4 years, he'll have tons of leadership experience and deployments under his belt, and law schools will be able to say in their class profile that they have admitted a Marine Corps Officer.


This.

User avatar
willwash
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby willwash » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:35 am

OK, I have a little bit of credibility on this topic so let me share my story:

I was a poli sci major at a solid T30 undergrad with about a 3.5 GPA looking to attend law school at UNC or better. I was hitting LSAT prep fairly hard and peaked in the high 160s (a few outliers in the low 170s). This was back in the old days of 2004-2005. In the summer between my junior and senior years I got married, then in the fall my wife became pregnant. So much for law school. I started talking to the military and ended up applying to US Navy OCS, got accepted, made it through, commissioned in May 2007, and have been in ever since. Now I'm a LT (O-3) with about 500 NFO hours in the E-2C Hawkeye, one deployment under my belt and another coming up soon. I've wavered through the years over whether to revisit my old dream of law school, but in about November of last year I decided to take the plunge and started hitting LSAT prep hard again, completely cold after about 5 or 6 years since I'd last looked at an LSAT, 5 to 6 years of filling up my brain with naval aviation, naval tactics, and leadership skill development. I registered for the February 2012 LSAT and studied my ass off. The first PT I took I got a 163, quite a bit lower than my peak from a few years prior, but not so bad that I was completely discouraged. Within a week I was consistently back into the high 160s and a few weeks later I broke into the 170s and hovered, for the most part, in the lower 170s until I decided to postpone until December 2012 (long story, basically LSAT prep was killing my family time right before I go on deployment where I'll have nothing BUT time to do LSAT prep). I'm 28 now and will be 29 when I finally take the damn test.

Long story short: don't worry about your mind rotting away if you take an LSAT hiatus for a few years. Focus on getting accepted into OCS...they (especially the Marines!) don't want to see you with your foot in some other door while you are applying for a commission. Either you're all in or all out. This brings me to my second point. If and when you make it into the ranks of active duty officers, again, especially with the Marines, you will face the most intense pressure you've probably ever faced in your life to "drink the Kool-Aid." Whatever community (aviation, infrantry, etc) you get into will try to suck you in for life. You will be making good money with a job skill you can't really take anywhere else, which doesn't help in the effort to resist this pressure. If you go in making it public that you intend to get out and do something else, you will probably be ostracized and your FITREPS will not be strong. It's OK if you want to do something else and are using the military as a means to an end (tons of people do it), but be discreet about it and always respectful. You'll learn as you go.

If you do the marine thing and decide (like I did, except Navy) that you still want to do law school, you can pick up your LSAT prep again, and the discipline you will have gained from your military training will really help you in your prep, and you'll probably do better than before.

AbhiJ
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby AbhiJ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:44 am

If you know you want to be lawyer , why go to millitary in the first place, there are thousands of ways to serve your country without being in millitary. On the other hand if millitary is your calling why do millitary for 4 years, why not the entire life. Decide clearly what do you want to do and do that.

AbhiJ
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby AbhiJ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:52 am

blowhard wrote:
sinisterkid wrote:
mattviphky wrote:Well he can take the test now, apply 3 years from now, and then defer his seat at wherever he is accepted.


Yes, he could; however, the experiences he'll gain in the Marine Corps will make his PS and application as a whole much more compelling and attractive. Right now, he's just another student who says he's going to join the Marine Corps. In 4 years, he'll have tons of leadership experience and deployments under his belt, and law schools will be able to say in their class profile that they have admitted a Marine Corps Officer.


This.


This guy is scoring 166 with little preparation, with 6 months of preparation he can hit 175-180 and he won't need to spend 4 years bolstering his profile.

bmore
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby bmore » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:58 am

The military service will put some distance between apps and your GPA. Good luck.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby Rotor » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:20 pm

AbhiJ wrote:If you know you want to be lawyer , why go to millitary in the first place, there are thousands of ways to serve your country without being in millitary. On the other hand if millitary is your calling why do millitary for 4 years, why not the entire life. Decide clearly what do you want to do and do that.

At least two very good reasons:
1. Admissions bump to help overcome the 3.1 GPA.
2. Full ride to any public law school in the country (and roughly 50% for privates at current rates)

And, it is completely possible to want to both serve the country under arms AND become an attorney. Life is not a digital either/or proposition.


OP, good luck to you! There is no harm in taking now. If you take it, but for some reason your timing doesn't quite work out you just take it again while you are in. Generally by the 4 year point, you'll be on shore duty and have a decent amount of time to study well. (And for those who freak out and say "zOMG having to retake that test is harm enough!" clearly have never been in the military. )

And don't forget, if you get in and love what you do, you can go to LS after a 20 year career. (That's what I'm doing)

Good luck!!

User avatar
proxy
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby proxy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:48 pm

If you are set on joining the military, wouldn't the experience gained from JAG be an awesome resume builder for the private sector?

I'm thinking go to law school, then do JAG for however long they require, and grab an LLM in whatever specialty area you want in the private sector.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:16 pm

proxy wrote:If you are set on joining the military, wouldn't the experience gained from JAG be an awesome resume builder for the private sector?

I'm thinking go to law school, then do JAG for however long they require, and grab an LLM in whatever specialty area you want in the private sector.


No. JAGs do very specialized work and it doesn't translate to private practice. In fact, I know several who were high-profile in the military but are now struggling solos as no firms would pick them up. If you do get hired, its assuredly into government contracts and not any kind of lit or transactional.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby Rotor » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:07 pm

blowhard wrote:
proxy wrote:If you are set on joining the military, wouldn't the experience gained from JAG be an awesome resume builder for the private sector?

I'm thinking go to law school, then do JAG for however long they require, and grab an LLM in whatever specialty area you want in the private sector.


No. JAGs do very specialized work and it doesn't translate to private practice. In fact, I know several who were high-profile in the military but are now struggling solos as no firms would pick them up. If you do get hired, its assuredly into government contracts and not any kind of lit or transactional.

I'll counter that the JAGs I know who have gotten out have done so specifically because a too-good-to-pass-up offer from a firm (both big time criminal defense specialist firms; one has since started his own firm and is up to 3 attorneys working with/for him). And while I don't know any who have gone this route, private sector could include direct from JAG to in-house at a defense contractor or a consulting agency.

But to agree with Blowhard, I don't think that "awesome resume builder for the private sector" would be an accurate statement. The *military* experience would be a big plus--the direct correlation of JAG to private sector work, not so much. And it could vary by branch too. USAF tends to get broader-based experience. USN tends to be mostly criminal/military justice or military operations. Labor contracts on base, etc. are done by permanent hire civilian attorneys.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby mattviphky » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 pm

sinisterkid wrote:
mattviphky wrote:Well he can take the test now, apply 3 years from now, and then defer his seat at wherever he is accepted.


Yes, he could; however, the experiences he'll gain in the Marine Corps will make his PS and application as a whole much more compelling and attractive. Right now, he's just another student who says he's going to join the Marine Corps. In 4 years, he'll have tons of leadership experience and deployments under his belt, and law schools will be able to say in their class profile that they have admitted a Marine Corps Officer.


I'm not saying he has to apply now, i'm saying he can apply 3.5 years from now, at which time he would have been in the marines for 3 years. I said he can take the test now, and pretty much write the PS and resume when he applies in the future.

User avatar
sinisterkid
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:09 am

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby sinisterkid » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:45 pm

mattviphky wrote:
sinisterkid wrote:
mattviphky wrote:Well he can take the test now, apply 3 years from now, and then defer his seat at wherever he is accepted.


Yes, he could; however, the experiences he'll gain in the Marine Corps will make his PS and application as a whole much more compelling and attractive. Right now, he's just another student who says he's going to join the Marine Corps. In 4 years, he'll have tons of leadership experience and deployments under his belt, and law schools will be able to say in their class profile that they have admitted a Marine Corps Officer.


I'm not saying he has to apply now, i'm saying he can apply 3.5 years from now, at which time he would have been in the marines for 3 years. I said he can take the test now, and pretty much write the PS and resume when he applies in the future.


Yeah I misread... my b.

AbhiJ
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby AbhiJ » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Rotor wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:If you know you want to be lawyer , why go to millitary in the first place, there are thousands of ways to serve your country without being in millitary. On the other hand if millitary is your calling why do millitary for 4 years, why not the entire life. Decide clearly what do you want to do and do that.

At least two very good reasons:
1. Admissions bump to help overcome the 3.1 GPA.
2. Full ride to any public law school in the country (and roughly 50% for privates at current rates)

And, it is completely possible to want to both serve the country under arms AND become an attorney. Life is not a digital either/or proposition.

And don't forget, if you get in and love what you do, you can go to LS after a 20 year career.

Good luck!!


"The man who chases two rabbits, catches none". Life is not an either/or proposition, but its generally a good idea to do one thing at a time. Do not think 50% free scholarship can compensate for 4 years of lost wages as a lawyer.

User avatar
willwash
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby willwash » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:07 pm

AbhiJ wrote:
Rotor wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:If you know you want to be lawyer , why go to millitary in the first place, there are thousands of ways to serve your country without being in millitary. On the other hand if millitary is your calling why do millitary for 4 years, why not the entire life. Decide clearly what do you want to do and do that.

At least two very good reasons:
1. Admissions bump to help overcome the 3.1 GPA.
2. Full ride to any public law school in the country (and roughly 50% for privates at current rates)

And, it is completely possible to want to both serve the country under arms AND become an attorney. Life is not a digital either/or proposition.

And don't forget, if you get in and love what you do, you can go to LS after a 20 year career.

Good luck!!


"The man who chases two rabbits, catches none". Life is not an either/or proposition, but its generally a good idea to do one thing at a time. Do not think 50% free scholarship can compensate for 4 years of lost wages as a lawyer.


Hey, it's not like we military officers are eating beanie weenies either. You may not make out as well as a BigLaw type, but after 4 years you make well over 80k a year with benefits second to none. Plus, when you go on deployments you have the opportunity (if you're single) to amass an enormous pile of money, since you can't really spend any of it while you're gone.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby Rotor » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:35 am

AbhiJ wrote:"The man who chases two rabbits, catches none". Life is not an either/or proposition, but its generally a good idea to do one thing at a time. Do not think 50% free scholarship can compensate for 4 years of lost wages as a lawyer.

Life, especially a life called to public service, is not just about wages and opportunity cost.

Signed, Rotor
21 years Commissioned Officer
3L at Berkeley
BigLaw in my future
(and scores of other "rabbits" in my bag)

gobosox
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: LSAT Before Military?

Postby gobosox » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:17 pm

OP-- I'm a commissioned officer in the Navy, so I have gone through the same thought process. A few thoughts:

1) Your life will be hectic, but not in the same way as college. It is actually easier insofar as you have more free time when stateside. Don't worry about finding more than enough time to study.

2) I wouldn't take the test now for one simple fact: you might decide you want to stay in for 4 or 5 or 6 or 20 years, in which case your LSAT score still wouldn't be valid.

A LOT changes in 4 years. I thought I wanted to be career military, now I'm getting out in a couple years and applying to law school... Though you may not be able to study if deployed to Afghanistan, you'll be able to study when stateside/embarked on a ship, so don't worry about it. Your brain will atrophy, but after a few mental LSAT prep workouts, it'll be back to its old self. Work on getting that commission and serving your country as best as possible-- take a few years to decide what you want to do with life, then go from there and take steps toward your goals. Good luck.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alldemwitches, Bing [Bot], BOSStongrl, Google [Bot], Instrumental, SunDevil14, tuesdayninja and 20 guests