How do some of you have the will power to retake?

notaznguy

How do some of you have the will power to retake?

Postby notaznguy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:25 am

I took the LSAT this morning and felt "okay." I thought LG was somewhat easy and there were no crazy games like Dino and Mulch and Stones or Interns or Stained Glass. And then I thought LR and RC was pretty darn hard/above average.

Then I read TLS and see people saying LG was hard as heck and LR and RC was easy peasy, lol. Oh boy.

I studied since June and even took a Testmasters prep course. I started off with a 138 and PTed between 155-164 during the last 2 months before the actual exam. I honestly felt like, "Man, I gave it the best I could and there was absolutely nothing that I could have done to have done better today."

I'm a pessimist and given my "feelings" on the test today, I am expecting a high 150 or a extremely low 160. I almost feel like I've done all I can. But even if I get a crappy score, I want to retake it and try to get at least a 163. But man, just thinking about it is so hard. I felt so happy and relieved when I walked out of the test center simply because I was "DONE." I knew it would all be temporary until I get my score back and I knew if I didn't score well, I'd have to deal with this feeling for another 8 months. Just thinking about retaking is like...I don't know. I want to say "exhausting" but also "spirit breaking." Yes, it breaks my spirits thinking about having to retake.

What keeps you going?

bernaldiaz

Re: How do some of you have the will power to retake?

Postby bernaldiaz » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:28 am

notaznguy wrote:I took the LSAT this morning and felt "okay." I thought LG was somewhat easy and there were no crazy games like Dino and Mulch and Stones or Interns or Stained Glass. And then I thought LR and RC was pretty darn hard/above average.

Then I read TLS and see people saying LG was hard as heck and LR and RC was easy peasy, lol. Oh boy.

I studied since June and even took a Testmasters prep course. I started off with a 138 and PTed between 155-164 during the last 2 months before the actual exam. I honestly felt like, "Man, I gave it the best I could and there was absolutely nothing that I could have done to have done better today."

I'm a pessimist and given my "feelings" on the test today, I am expecting a high 150 or a extremely low 160. I almost feel like I've done all I can. But even if I get a crappy score, I want to retake it and try to get at least a 163. But man, just thinking about it is so hard. I felt so happy and relieved when I walked out of the test center simply because I was "DONE." I knew it would all be temporary until I get my score back and I knew if I didn't score well, I'd have to deal with this feeling for another 8 months. Just thinking about retaking is like...I don't know. I want to say "exhausting" but also "spirit breaking." Yes, it breaks my spirits thinking about having to retake.

What keeps you going?

Yeah man I feel you. I'm thinking that I already put in most of the work I need. I have a really good understanding of the test. If I have to retake, I'll put in maybe three or four good weeks in June and do it then. No more marathon shit for me.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:44 am

Its because you felt that you at least hit your PT average.

I think a lot of people retake because they do significantly worse than their practice predicted they would. That, or they didn't put in as much time as they hoped and felt they could have prepared better.

Assuming you put in at least 3 months of solid (effective) prep and scored in your PT average then retaking would be kind of pointless, and anyone who was considering it would probably feel the same way you do now.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:52 am

I knew that if I settled with what I had, I would never be happy with myself, and that the school/career prospects from where I would likely attend were vastly different from what a higher score could get me.

If you end up needing to retake, let me know.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:52 am

What motivates us is different from person-to-person. For me, I envision my goals and where I want to be in five years, and realize that the best way to make that happen is to take it step by step, starting with the LSAT. As many people will tell you, the test is very learnable, you just have to find the method that works best for you and practice it effectively.

I went through the Powerscore books and pretty much peaked my score out, but I'm finding that it is VERY beneficial to relearn many of the techniques. This not only brushes up on your familiarity with how to approach the questions, but also gives you a different perspective to attack the questions. You must be flexible in order to do really well on this test, and having learned various ways to attack the questions will help you be more flexible.

I would recommend that you sit out a cycle, study like mad now, and dominate the June test. Then you can attend T14 and be all happy and shit.

suits00

Postby suits00 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 am

See what you get first. When I took it, I thought I did horribly, but it ended up being the highest score I've ever had. Try to relax and wait for your score. Btw--have you considered Kaplan?

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:21 am

fosterp wrote:Its because you felt that you at least hit your PT average.

I think a lot of people retake because they do significantly worse than their practice predicted they would. That, or they didn't put in as much time as they hoped and felt they could have prepared better.

Assuming you put in at least 3 months of solid (effective) prep and scored in your PT average then retaking would be kind of pointless, and anyone who was considering it would probably feel the same way you do now.

Yes, this is exactly how I feel. I gave it my best shot. I don't think the test could have gone any better. I didn't "eff up" or panic on games. Every section was kinda expected. Proctors were cool. No weird noises. No distractions.

I haven't gotten my score yet, but part of me already wants to cry aha.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:24 am

Mr.Binks wrote:What motivates us is different from person-to-person. For me, I envision my goals and where I want to be in five years, and realize that the best way to make that happen is to take it step by step, starting with the LSAT. As many people will tell you, the test is very learnable, you just have to find the method that works best for you and practice it effectively.

I went through the Powerscore books and pretty much peaked my score out, but I'm finding that it is VERY beneficial to relearn many of the techniques. This not only brushes up on your familiarity with how to approach the questions, but also gives you a different perspective to attack the questions. You must be flexible in order to do really well on this test, and having learned various ways to attack the questions will help you be more flexible.

I would recommend that you sit out a cycle, study like mad now, and dominate the June test. Then you can attend T14 and be all happy and shit.

The sad thing is I'd be happy and shit at UC Davis or UC Hastings, hence the 163. And a 163 is not even that hard to obtain, which why I will feel like a total dumbass if I don't get at least a 163. It's not like I'm 180 or bust and going for Harvard. It's just freaking UC Davis. Good god.

And I don't want to settle and go to some shit T2 like Loyola.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:55 am

Considering I've studied for this since June, took a 3 month prep course with Testmasters, went through the Powerscore LR and LG Bibles, and spent countless hours drilling problems by types, doing many PTs, reviewing them, etc., considering all this now...if I get a crummy LSAT score (a 162 or less), should I just throw in the towel and look for another career?

Like I said, I felt like this test went perfect. Games were good, nothing weird like dinos. No distractions. I didn't forget to set my watch/timer. Nothing. My center couldn't have been better.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:06 am

You summon the will-power to retake by thinking about how much will-power it will take to get top 5% at a shitty school.

To quote my girlfriend: "not retaking is basically saying 'fuck trying to do well on an exam I can take over and over until I do well, for only $100 a try, I'd rather have to do amazingly on each of a series of 6-8 exams which costs me $30-50k for the one single shot I get!'"
Last edited by rayiner on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:11 am, edited 5 times in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:09 am

Every point can increase your job prospects substantially and/or net you thousands of dollars. That should help give you some will power.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:52 pm

You have to make peace with yourself about retaking. No one but you can answer the questions you're asking. I had to retake twice. I don't regret doing it for a minute. I learned a lot of lessons along the way and grew a lot, and I have a 164 to show for it.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:32 pm

For me, it was the knowledge that I had underperformed and that I was capable of a better score. If that's not applicable to you, then this quote:
rayiner wrote:You summon the will-power to retake by thinking about how much will-power it will take to get top 5% at a shitty school.

To quote my girlfriend: "not retaking is basically saying 'fuck trying to do well on an exam I can take over and over until I do well, for only $100 a try, I'd rather have to do amazingly on each of a series of 6-8 exams which costs me $30-50k for the one single shot I get!'"

is TCR.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:41 pm

STICKER PRICE. Those are the two words motivating me right now. I honestly don't think I can handle sticker price, even at the top 6. I am happy with my handful of acceptances but you have absolutely nothing to lose from a retake-I mean besides the time costs and stress. But hey it beats going to a school your not happy with.

ETA: Stones and Mulch is a super easy game. If you don't realize that there is room to improve.

lawlcat4179

Postby lawlcat4179 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:56 pm

I feel like I'm quite familiar with this so I'll give you my perspective...

I started prepping for the LSAT 2 years ago. First score sucked, second score was pretty good, but not great. After my second score I found myself facing a situation where I was looking at attending a T20 for free, or paying 120K for a T10. Obviously I wanted to go to the better school, but I don't come from a rich family, and it would have been incredibly irresponsible to take on that debt load. I was incredibly close to attending, but in the end I couldn't give up on my dream that quickly. So I retook for a third time and am now in a position where I stand a good chance of getting to go to a T10, but do it for free.

So what was my motivation? Not being willing to give up on my dream simply because I didn't want to take this stupid test again. I'm thrilled with my decision, and hopefully things will turn out okay.

Also, I agree with what some of the others on here have said. This will make me sound like a total softy, but when I left the test center from my 3rd test I thought I was going to break down. I had nailed the first four sections, but did so poorly on the RC section that I had to randomly guess on my last 4 Q's. After all the effort I put in, it was heartbreaking to see it all get screwed up in the last 10 minutes of the test. When I got my score back... I found that all 4 that I guessed on I got wrong, but I wound up with a 175 anyway.

Moral of the story, you may have screwed up on the test in the area that you suspect. However, that doesn't mean you didn't get a really good score. Also, if you think you have a chance to do better, just retake. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

charliep

Postby charliep » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:01 pm

it was an easy choice for me because every school i applied to with my original score rejected me

beneal

Postby beneal » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi, my name is Brittany and I took the LSAT this past Saturday & I am almost certain that I did not do as nearly as well as I wanted to. I didn't devote as much time to it as I wanted to, given that I am in school right now and working among other things. I feel like such an idiot because I see all of you guys being "upset" with scores that are in the 160's and I wish I could get that score (let's not say what my score might be)!! I want to know if it's best to retake it in June or in October? Either way, this time I plan on on buying more of the Actual Test Books and getting the Power Score Bibles so I can feel my best going into it next time around. I have my hear set on getting into a certain school so I really want to work my butt off. Any help or suggestions or advice would be great! I am so scared I did absolutely horrible on my first test.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Knowing that you only get one chance to go to law school and that with every extra point you are able to get into a better school should keep you going. Also just being naturally stubborn helps :mrgreen: Lets be honest, the LSAT isn't torture.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:59 pm

I LOLed at the thought of a half-day standardized test keeping me away from attending one of the top law schools. So I retook.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:18 pm

beneal wrote:Hi, my name is Brittany and I took the LSAT this past Saturday & I am almost certain that I did not do as nearly as well as I wanted to. I didn't devote as much time to it as I wanted to, given that I am in school right now and working among other things. I feel like such an idiot because I see all of you guys being "upset" with scores that are in the 160's and I wish I could get that score (let's not say what my score might be)!! I want to know if it's best to retake it in June or in October? Either way, this time I plan on on buying more of the Actual Test Books and getting the Power Score Bibles so I can feel my best going into it next time around. I have my hear set on getting into a certain school so I really want to work my butt off. Any help or suggestions or advice would be great! I am so scared I did absolutely horrible on my first test.

Only take in June if you can spend enough time studying beforehand. Otherwise push it back to October. Either way you need to spend a lot of time studying.

To the OP:

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:06 pm

beneal wrote:Hi, my name is Brittany and I took the LSAT this past Saturday & I am almost certain that I did not do as nearly as well as I wanted to. I didn't devote as much time to it as I wanted to, given that I am in school right now and working among other things. I feel like such an idiot because I see all of you guys being "upset" with scores that are in the 160's and I wish I could get that score (let's not say what my score might be)!! I want to know if it's best to retake it in June or in October? Either way, this time I plan on on buying more of the Actual Test Books and getting the Power Score Bibles so I can feel my best going into it next time around. I have my hear set on getting into a certain school so I really want to work my butt off. Any help or suggestions or advice would be great! I am so scared I did absolutely horrible on my first test.

brittany, i was in your shoes this time last year. I hope this helps

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=149790

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Image

Tiago Splitter said it... this is what motivated me to retake. I took over 50 timed preptests, and eventually got kind of obsessed with the test. It can actually be pretty fun, make it your thing.

FWIW, I went from 165 to 173 (was averaging 175 going into the test, but I'm happy).

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:19 pm

1). I knew I could do better (and still do, should probably have forced myself to retake again).

2). The idea that a test could literally determine my entire future and the future of the family I one day hope to have inclined me to do anything necessary to secure the best type of life I could. It's amazing how that three-digit number can open and close a lot of doors.

3). An increase in LSAT score = less debt in law school, depending on where you decide to go.

I went one cycle from getting into one T40 school at sticker (my best acceptance, WL'd everywhere worth mentioning) to this cycle where I have 3 T14 acceptances, one with a significant scholarship.

Easily the best decision I ever made.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:11 am

Uh, I think my dilemma is more like:

1) After months of studying, the highest I ever hit was a 164 (and it was in the PT 40s...). The highest I ever hit on a modern PT was 161.

2) Not sure if I can even improve anymore.

3) My dilemmas isn't: A) Retake or suffer from paying sticker to attend a TTT or a crummy T1. My dilemmas is B) Retake or take the GRE, CBEST, CSET instead and move on with my life to becoming a high school or middle school social sciences teacher.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:15 am

notaznguy wrote:Uh, I think my dilemma is more like:

1) After months of studying, the highest I ever hit was a 164 (and it was in the PT 40s...). The highest I ever hit on a modern PT was 161.

2) Not sure if I can even improve anymore.

3) My dilemmas isn't: A) Retake or suffer from paying sticker to attend a TTT or a crummy T1. My dilemmas is B) Retake or take the GRE, CBEST, CSET instead and move on with my life to becoming a high school or middle school social sciences teacher.

Wherever you see yourself happy...and if they're jobs. In Illinois, the only available teaching jobs are special ed, foreign language, or Chicago Public Schools.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”