Dismissed from LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Angry_LSAT_Taker

New

Dismissed from LSAT

Post by Angry_LSAT_Taker » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Well, I can tell you I had a number of different scenarios as to how my LSAT score was going to affect my chances at getting into various law schools but I did not ever intend to get kicked out of an administration.

I'll be brief: After the scored sections finished and the books were collected, we moved onto the writing section of the test; I filled my name out like everyone else and after we were given instructions for the section - for whatever stupid reason - I opened the book and looked over the instructions for the sample. Of course, I did not wait for the words begin, which apparently began about 10-15 seconds after I opened the booklet. Noticing this, after the time elapsed I gulped. How could I have been this stupid? On the writing games section? About 3 minutes later I was handed a yellow sheet and after pleading my case (rather vocally unfortunately) I was dismissed. Probably one of the most fail moments of my life, but given the circumstances, like that I received no verbal or written warning, and that I did not start writing on the test booklet, I feel a bit bothered by it. I was really under the illusion that we were all reading the instructions until I was asked to leave the test center. Is there anything I can even do here, or am I just screwed? The proctor checked the "reading or working in the wrong section box". Probably one the most fail moments of my life, easily.

3|ink

Platinum

Re: Dismissed from LSAT

Post by 3|ink » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:58 pm

You gulped after the time elapsed or began? I'm so confused.

Just contact the LSAC and explain yourself. Maybe they'll still score your test. You're going to have to explain the lack of writing sample in your PS though.

Angry_LSAT_Taker

New

Post by Angry_LSAT_Taker » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:00 pm

3|ink wrote:You gulped after the time elapsed or began? I'm so confused.

Just contact the LSAC and explain yourself. Maybe they'll still score your test. You're going to have to explain the lack of writing sample in your PS though.
After the time began, and I realized my writing sample booklet was open when it shouldn't have been.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:02 pm

Wow, you did an entire LSAT then got booted for the one part of the LSAT that means absolutely nothing. That blows. Sorry man, that's really unfortunate. Good luck with everything. You should contact LSAC. You're definitely going to have to take another LSAT.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Call LSAC and ask for a fax number to send in a written statement. I received something similar and I ended up receiving my score along with everyone else. I basically wrote a 1-2 page explanation that included a summary of facts and my pleading and faxed it. I didn't receive any confirmation until after I had my score back. I really do think you will be fine, if you can endure the stress. PM me if you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:48 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Call LSAC and ask for a fax number to send in a written statement. I received something similar and I ended up receiving my score along with everyone else. I basically wrote a 1-2 page explanation that included a summary of facts and my pleading and faxed it. I didn't receive any confirmation until after I had my score back. I really do think you will be fine, if you can endure the stress. PM me if you want.
Your username gets me every time. hahahahahahaha

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:40 pm

HBK wrote:Wow, you did an entire LSAT then got booted for the one part of the LSAT that means absolutely nothing. That blows. Sorry man, that's really unfortunate. Good luck with everything. You should contact LSAC. You're definitely going to have to take another LSAT.

This...

Definitely try explaining to them, the lack of instruction lead to misinterpretation... My proctor was the opposite. She was so anal about everything, it was kind of funny. The only thing she didn't instruct us to do, was how to breathe.

Angry_LSAT_Taker

New

Post by Angry_LSAT_Taker » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:22 pm

luuma wrote:
HBK wrote:Wow, you did an entire LSAT then got booted for the one part of the LSAT that means absolutely nothing. That blows. Sorry man, that's really unfortunate. Good luck with everything. You should contact LSAC. You're definitely going to have to take another LSAT.

This...

Definitely try explaining to them, the lack of instruction lead to misinterpretation... My proctor was the opposite. She was so anal about everything, it was kind of funny. The only thing she didn't instruct us to do, was how to breathe.
I envy your experience then. My proctor was awful. She repeatedly kept telling us how she has kicked people out in the past and seemed to want to keep all of us on edge. She would also smile as she talked about how people would cry when she kicked them out. I'm really starting to think that if I had a different proctor things would have gone much differently and that I wouldn't have made that mistake. Firstly, I did terribly on the first section out of sheer nerve problems relating to the testing experience then proceeded to breeze through the others with maybe 2-3 answers wrong per section. Just an odd experience and one that I won't forget. I have no problem retaking the test, I'm just hoping the appeal goes through and I won't have to explain the misconduct or that the admissions officers will understand that no one in their right mind would cheat on the writing section. For what it's worth, I have no strikes on my academic record, with only one F and one C throughout my college career, so that has to help me here. :/

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:39 pm

Angry_LSAT_Taker wrote: I envy your experience then. My proctor was awful. She repeatedly kept telling us how she has kicked people out in the past and seemed to want to keep all of us on edge. She would also smile as she talked about how people would cry when she kicked them out...
Now it sounds like you're making shit up. I don't care if this part is true. Don't tell the LSAC about this part. It's irrelevant and will only undermine your credibility.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Angry_LSAT_Taker

New

Post by Angry_LSAT_Taker » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:56 pm

3|ink wrote:
Angry_LSAT_Taker wrote: I envy your experience then. My proctor was awful. She repeatedly kept telling us how she has kicked people out in the past and seemed to want to keep all of us on edge. She would also smile as she talked about how people would cry when she kicked them out...
Now it sounds like you're making shit up. I don't care if this part is true. Don't tell the LSAC about this part. It's irrelevant and will only undermine your credibility.
I'm not making anything up at all! I understand the test is supposed to be intense, but she certainly added to it in numerous ways throughout the administration. However, I've decided to take your advice on this and not complain to LSAC about her behavior. It's obviously my word against hers so I have little to gain with a complaint. I will say that if I have to retest (which I likely will), I will choose a different testing center so as not to risk having to see her.

Regarding what I will submit to LSAC, I'm just going to stress that I made a mistake and did not do so with any intent and pray they will take it into consideration. I really screwed myself here, but there's little I can do absent bitching and moaning about it.

imos

New

Post by imos » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:48 pm

Well, I can tell you I had a number of different scenarios as to how my LSAT score was going to affect my chances at getting into various law schools but I did not ever intend to get kicked out of an administration.

I'll be brief: After the scored sections finished and the books were collected, we moved onto the writing section of the test; I filled my name out like everyone else and after we were given instructions for the section - for whatever stupid reason - I opened the book and looked over the instructions for the sample. Of course, I did not wait for the words begin, which apparently began about 10-15 seconds after I opened the booklet. Noticing this, after the time elapsed I gulped. How could I have been this stupid? On the writing games section? About 3 minutes later I was handed a yellow sheet and after pleading my case (rather vocally unfortunately) I was dismissed. Probably one of the most fail moments of my life, but given the circumstances, like that I received no verbal or written warning, and that I did not start writing on the test booklet, I feel a bit bothered by it. I was really under the illusion that we were all reading the instructions until I was asked to leave the test center. Is there anything I can even do here, or am I just screwed? The proctor checked the "reading or working in the wrong section box". Probably one the most fail moments of my life, easily.
You know I almost opened the booklet too, the proctor was like "dont open the booklet yet," then he said "OK" (I almost opened booklet) then he continues some instructions lol (so I dont).

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:17 pm

3|ink wrote:
+1

Appeal to them as practically as possible, much in the way you would in an addendum. Adding this "she was a big meany" part doesn't help and it'll only seem like you're complaining rather than explaining a serious issue.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:43 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:14 am

I think this is a hoax. Standard proctor procedure for a couple of seconds time violation does not typically include evicting the person from the testing room.

If the test taker got hostile and disruptive then I would believe that the proctor threw them out the door and would be justified doing so.

For minor time violations they write you up and give you a misconduct/irregularity piece of paper but still let you stay in the room and keep going if there aren't other more serious circumstances involved.

OP:
When during the process of proctoring and administering the test did that proctor have the time to repeatedly tell you stories about kicking people out and making them cry? There is no time in between sections except the 15 minute bathroom break and they have to read you a lot of instructions before starting section one. Your story smells like total bull$hit.

If your story is true, what did you do to get kicked out, assault the proctor?

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:47 am

Jeffort wrote:I think this is a hoax. Standard proctor procedure for a couple of seconds time violation does not typically include evicting the person from the testing room.

If the test taker got hostile and disruptive then I would believe that the proctor threw them out the door and would be justified doing so.

For minor time violations they write you up and give you a misconduct/irregularity piece of paper but still let you stay in the room and keep going if there aren't other more serious circumstances involved.

OP:
When during the process of proctoring and administering the test did that proctor have the time to repeatedly tell you stories about kicking people out and making them cry? There is no time in between sections except the 15 minute bathroom break and they have to read you a lot of instructions before starting section one. Your story smells like total bull$hit.

If your story is true, what did you do to get kicked out, assault the proctor?
About 3 minutes later I was handed a yellow sheet and after pleading my case (rather vocally unfortunately) I was dismissed. Probably one of the most fail moments of my life, but given the circumstances, like that I received no verbal or written warning, and that I did not start writing on the test booklet, I feel a bit bothered by it.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:58 pm

Apparently in this case "rather vocally" is a euphemism for flipping out in an angry temper tantrum filled with yelling and screaming. That is no way to plead a case. If I was the proctor I would have thrown him out too! The other test takers in the room must have been thrilled by the disturbance and were probably laughing at the guy while he threw a $hit-fit and when he got kicked out.

Fyo'Couch

Bronze

Post by Fyo'Couch » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Jeffort wrote:Apparently in this case "rather vocally" is a euphemism for flipping out in an angry temper tantrum filled with yelling and screaming. That is no way to plead a case. If I was the proctor I would have thrown him out too! The other test takers in the room must have been thrilled by the disturbance and were probably laughing at the guy while he threw a $hit-fit and when he got kicked out.
Why kick someone when they're down? The guy is bummed out about a pretty unfortunate situation. You aren't really in a position to infer what he did or didn't do since you were not there. As a multiple time test taker I can tell you with certainty that the rules are not administered uniformly across test centers. What the OP has described is extremely unfortunate and entirely possible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”