Cited for LSAT Misconduct---how serious is this? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
CanadianFlashMob

New

Cited for LSAT Misconduct---how serious is this?

Post by CanadianFlashMob » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:39 pm

I cruised through LSAC, and a few forums, but I haven't seen quite a case like mine.

It was a justified citation, but I wasn't red-handed cheating. Basically, at the end of section 5, I tried to clean up some stray marks and I was erasing portions of the form after time was called (trying to make sure previously erased answers weren't super-darkened). I kinda assumed "stop your work" meant just stopping from writing, which is kinda dumb, but I guess I wasn't thinking right. I wasn't aware of the erasure rule, though I know LSAC binds you with them even if you are unaware with the consent form. I missed that part---that is my bad. It wasn't mentioned beforehand in the exam, and I guess that part just kind of slipped as I was reading through the rules.

It was just a first warning, no dismissal. Procter gave the standard line of "had to report" though she mentioned that she thought it was an honest mistake (explicitly, she made it clear in the report that I was just erasing, and not marking). I don't really see how that could be construed as significantly altering my score (I was just being paranoid and trying to make sure the answers I put on came off correctly, and erasures...can't really give you more points?)

Based on what she said, I am pretty sure that if asked, she would corroborate that I was just erasing (which I was) and that she "thought it was an honest mistake".

How bad is this? Do you guys think LSAC will take this the whole way and notify all law schools? Or is it negligible enough that I'll get the "slap on the wrist, you were dumb but not cheating" warning letter? Really looking for people who have had previous experience with this, or people who can put me in touch with someone who knows these procedures really well, I'm kinda freaking out right now. I was thinking of applying to a T20, but that looks shot right now.

mikefichera

New

Re: Cited for LSAT Misconduct---how serious is this?

Post by mikefichera » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:43 pm

I did something similiar today as well, guess my proctor was just more lenient.

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:00 pm

mikefichera wrote:I did something similiar today as well, guess my proctor was just more lenient.
that's something I always loved... the differences in proctor behavior really translate to differences regarding the LSAT.

I had one set of proctors only give the five minute warning, and then I had a different set give warnings at 10 min, 5 min, 3 min, 2 min, and 1 min.

Which was nice.

CanadianFlashMob

New

Post by CanadianFlashMob » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:07 pm

is it worth freaking out about?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:13 pm

If they're reporting it, seems pretty likely that it'll end up as a red flag on your score report and you'd want to submit an addendum for it. If you're a borderline candidate it probably wont help, but it's hard to tell exactly how it'll effect your applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:20 pm

CanadianFlashMob wrote:is it worth freaking out about?
Things worth freaking out about are pretty much limited to the building you are in is suddenly going up in flames or falling down or finding a dead body in your place after a party and other stuff along those lines.

LSAC will send you an email about it and information including contact details regarding the matter. The proctor should have given you a misconduct report paper that has has some info on it. Deal with LSAC about it, not with a bunch of anonymous posters on a discussion forum.

Good luck.
Last edited by Jeffort on Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Jeffort wrote:Deal with them about it, not with a bunch of anonymous posters on a discussion forum.
no way, bruh.

thomasjmai22

New

Post by thomasjmai22 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:45 pm

Some guy did that behind me and the proctor just warned that she could right it up.

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:45 pm

thomasjmai22 wrote:Some guy did that behind me and the proctor just warned that she could right it up.
pun intended?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:54 pm

CanadianFlashMob wrote:I cruised through LSAC, and a few forums, but I haven't seen quite a case like mine.

It was a justified citation, but I wasn't red-handed cheating. Basically, at the end of section 5, I tried to clean up some stray marks and I was erasing portions of the form after time was called (trying to make sure previously erased answers weren't super-darkened). I kinda assumed "stop your work" meant just stopping from writing, which is kinda dumb, but I guess I wasn't thinking right. I wasn't aware of the erasure rule, though I know LSAC binds you with them even if you are unaware with the consent form. I missed that part---that is my bad. It wasn't mentioned beforehand in the exam, and I guess that part just kind of slipped as I was reading through the rules.
REALLY? Not necessarily pointed at you personally, but I am astounded at the number of people who want to go to law school (extremely detail-oriented) and can't even read/follow simple rules for something really important. I couldn't believe how many people at my LSAT that were surprised they couldn't have a phone. I mean, come on.

But Tmon is probably right here, it won't make or break your cycle but an addendum might be necessary. It all depends on what LSAC tells you and the level of severity. Just be honest with your schools and be really strong in the rest of your app.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:36 pm

They literally say, "Put your pencils down." So, yeah, they'll get ya for it

If I had to fill in "D" because of time, I'd do it while he was actually saying "The section is now complete. Please stop what you are doing and put your pencils down." So you don't actually have to put it down the very instant they speak about, but by the time their command/request is over.

Little things matter. On one section I was able to complete the last question I was on and then hurry to fill in the last 3 with "D" while he was making the statement.

asc335

New

Post by asc335 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:52 am

hey - how did this work out? a similar thing happened to me today... :(

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:58 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ixiion

Bronze

Post by Ixiion » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:37 am

sublime wrote:
asc335 wrote:hey - how did this work out? a similar thing happened to me today... :(

I would like to applaud your use of the search feature. Best of luck in your situation.
+1 lol.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:15 am

CanadianFlashMob wrote:I cruised through LSAC, and a few forums, but I haven't seen quite a case like mine.

It was just a first warning, no dismissal. Procter gave the standard line of "had to report" though she mentioned that she thought it was an honest mistake (explicitly, she made it clear in the report that I was just erasing, and not marking). I don't really see how that could be construed as significantly altering my score (I was just being paranoid and trying to make sure the answers I put on came off correctly, and erasures...can't really give you more points?)

Based on what she said, I am pretty sure that if asked, she would corroborate that I was just erasing (which I was) and that she "thought it was an honest mistake".

How bad is this? Do you guys think LSAC will take this the whole way and notify all law schools? Or is it negligible enough that I'll get the "slap on the wrist, you were dumb but not cheating" warning letter? Really looking for people who have had previous experience with this, or people who can put me in touch with someone who knows these procedures really well, I'm kinda freaking out right now. I was thinking of applying to a T20, but that looks shot right now.
Edit: old LSAT

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:18 am

For anyone with this problem in the future, remember that you can opt to have LSAC grade your test by hand for a small fee.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”