February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!)

How do you think you scored?

Below a 160
24%
161-162
6%
163-164
10%
165-166
9%
167-168
9%
169-170
6%
171-172
13%
173-174
8%
175-176
3%
177+
11%

Total votes: 173

hotspur

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby hotspur » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:04 pm

Morpheus69 wrote:
FinallyGoing wrote:
agcl0913 wrote:
barrotmartin wrote:biology internship ftw.

No way, no way. She should have spent that summer working :D

I perm'd.

most def. should have worked. What good is the internship if you won't even be in school come fall since you can't afford it? I wrote some more about it, but got straight to the point and finished it all on the first page. I treated it as a strengthen or weaken question, just on a grander scale.

uh oh. what about student loans?

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Last edited by kerflux on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buck

Postby buck » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:46 pm

kerflux wrote:I felt great about this test until I realized that I forgot to apply one of the premises in the games to all of the questions; something like this guy has no pets AND (part I left out) always lives in certain #. How fkd do you think I am? I've been hoping the answers would be pretty much the same either way, but I've been giving myself an ulcer over it for the last few days.

I think you dropped at least 4 questions. But probably more because that was one of only two limitations in that game. I did something similar in October and still ended up with a decent score (166) but, now I do wish I cancelled that test FWIW.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Is that a guess, or do you think that particular portion was that important? I am planning on going next year, so I was hoping on just using this to get off any waitlists I'm put on... though if I really bombed it that badly I suppose I may try it in June

beebela

Postby beebela » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:05 pm

kerflux wrote:Is that a guess, or do you think that particular portion was that important? I am planning on going next year, so I was hoping on just using this to get off any waitlists I'm put on... though if I really bombed it that badly I suppose I may try it in June

I mean it was definitely a major part because it was something you could build right into your master sketch to quickly rule out a lot of incorrect answer choices and without that limitation I'm guessing a lot of the other choices would've looked good...I don't remember the exact questions/answer choices and how that limitation played into them though so it's hard to tell exactly how important it was. Did you feel like you did well in the other games? How well do you usually do on LG? If you're counting on a -0/-1 it's probably not going to happen but if you have some room for error you could still be on target for the score you want.

beebela

Postby beebela » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:09 pm

As far as predictions go, my PT range was 173-178 (as it was before October, when I ended up with a 168...) but I definitely feel better about this test, probably 171-175, RC tripped me up more than it should have but I'm confident about LG and LR minus the meteor question.

barrotmartin

Postby barrotmartin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:11 pm

hotspur wrote:
Morpheus69 wrote:
FinallyGoing wrote:
agcl0913 wrote:

I perm'd.

most def. should have worked. What good is the internship if you won't even be in school come fall since you can't afford it? I wrote some more about it, but got straight to the point and finished it all on the first page. I treated it as a strengthen or weaken question, just on a grander scale.

uh oh. what about student loans?

What about using your internship to get a rec for a paying pt biology dept job in the fall?
edit: what about THAT

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:15 pm

beebela wrote:
kerflux wrote:Is that a guess, or do you think that particular portion was that important? I am planning on going next year, so I was hoping on just using this to get off any waitlists I'm put on... though if I really bombed it that badly I suppose I may try it in June

I mean it was definitely a major part because it was something you could build right into your master sketch to quickly rule out a lot of incorrect answer choices and without that limitation I'm guessing a lot of the other choices would've looked good...I don't remember the exact questions/answer choices and how that limitation played into them though so it's hard to tell exactly how important it was. Did you feel like you did well in the other games? How well do you usually do on LG? If you're counting on a -0/-1 it's probably not going to happen but if you have some room for error you could still be on target for the score you want.

I guessed on one of the last ones, but typically I get about 3-5 wrong on LG and still get 170+. I'm just hoping I messed one or two up because of the missed premise and aced the rest. I remember looking at it and realizing I'd forgotten to plug it in and thinking that it wouldn't have changed my answers much, but I was so pressed for time that I didn't examine each of them to see what it did. It could've just been my nerves telling me to hurry the (*$% up, everything is fine, finish the section.

beebela

Postby beebela » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:16 pm

barrotmartin wrote:What about using your internship to get a rec for a paying pt biology dept job in the fall?

The professor with the internship was leaving the university before the fall and regardless any pt job would've prevented her from doing the clubs and taking the classes she wanted to. Restaurant ftw.

beebela

Postby beebela » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:18 pm

kerflux wrote:
beebela wrote:

I guessed on one of the last ones, but typically I get about 3-5 wrong on LG and still get 170+. I'm just hoping I messed one or two up because of the missed premise and aced the rest. I remember looking at it and realizing I'd forgotten to plug it in and thinking that it wouldn't have changed my answers much, but I was so pressed for time that I didn't examine each of them to see what it did. It could've just been my nerves telling me to hurry the (*$% up, everything is fine, finish the section.

Yeah it's hard to know how much that will affect you (and thanks to Feb secrecy, you'll never know) but if you usually can afford to miss that much on LG anyways hopefully you're fine!

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Juggling a part-time job and school makes her look good to future employers, proves she can successfully multi-task. An internship is something she could use as a point of discussion in a future interview with potential employers in that field; makes her stand out. restaurant gig is restaurant gig

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:26 pm

beebela wrote:
kerflux wrote:
beebela wrote:

Yeah it's hard to know how much that will affect you (and thanks to Feb secrecy, you'll never know) but if you usually can afford to miss that much on LG anyways hopefully you're fine!

Yeah, that's what gets me, I'll never know if that portion even affected me, lol. I'm just hoping I at least nailed the elimination question that pops up with every game and that that bit didn't come into play for most of the game

beebela

Postby beebela » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:27 pm

kerflux wrote:Juggling a part-time job and school makes her look good to future employers, proves she can successfully multi-task. An internship is something she could use as a point of discussion in a future interview with potential employers in that field; makes her stand out. restaurant gig is restaurant gig

Eh, she'll have time to worry about getting internships/jobs later (and probably better options once she's in college), transitioning to college and having a pt job is a lot of unnecessary stress at a time when she should just be thinking about enjoying herself. But to each their own, that's why they give us questions like that. :lol:

bamalama

Postby bamalama » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:50 pm

I brought six sharpened pencils into the LSAT and I used only one on the exam. For the essay though, I quickly ground all my pencils into thick/unreadable lines. I'd start on one side of the page, and by the other side it would look like I was writing in gray crayon.

But yeah, restaurant job all the way. Unpaid internships are only meant for those for whom money ain't a thang.

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:57 pm

bamalama wrote:I brought six sharpened pencils into the LSAT and I used only one on the exam. For the essay though, I quickly ground all my pencils into thick/unreadable lines. I'd start on one side of the page, and by the other side it would look like I was writing in gray crayon.

But yeah, restaurant job all the way. Unpaid internships are only meant for those for whom money ain't a thang.

You mean like a PI job? ;) My #1 has a great PI reputation...hmmm

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:18 pm

I check back a few old waiting threads, it seems this forum always underestimate the curve, so hopefully this is a good news for everyone :D

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:33 pm

maxmartin wrote:I check back a few old waiting threads, it seems this forum always underestimate the curve, so hopefully this is a good news for everyone :D

Except that we'll never know the curve :?

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:45 pm

maxmartin wrote:I check back a few old waiting threads, it seems this forum always underestimate the curve, so hopefully this is a good news for everyone :D

Are you accurately using the word "always?"

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:54 pm

there is seems before always :wink: , you can do the research by yourself
FinallyGoing wrote:

Are you accurately using the word "always?"

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Could someone tell me how many questions were on this test? I went through quite a few pages in the beginning and couldn't find it.

Please don't call RC fail on me.

barrotmartin

Postby barrotmartin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:17 pm

beebela wrote:
barrotmartin wrote:What about using your internship to get a rec for a paying pt biology dept job in the fall?

The professor with the internship was leaving the university before the fall and regardless any pt job would've prevented her from doing the clubs and taking the classes she wanted to. Restaurant ftw.

Leaving for an industry job doesn't preclude writing a rec letter directed at colleagues in the dept. Gunning for the possibility of being a pt lab assistant during the school year would be ideal and would fit in the "fully participating in what the university has to offer" criterion as well. A chance to work with a professor she's excited about is good. Familiarity with the lab and the dept will give her a heads up on students in the fall. Familiarity with the campus and what it has to offer will give her a better idea of what clubs/depts she wants to join/take classes in, which ones she wants to prioritize, etc.

Internship ftw. And it matters.

beebela

Postby beebela » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:29 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:Could someone tell me how many questions were on this test? I went through quite a few pages in the beginning and couldn't find it.

Please don't call RC fail on me.

100 - 25 for both LR, 23 LG, and 27 RC.

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:37 pm

FWIW, I just went through this forum for the curve predictions on the last 4 lsats, and they each speculated a curve that was at least 1 less than the actual. So here's to hoping for a -13 :)

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:40 pm

Morpheus69 wrote:
FinallyGoing wrote:
agcl0913 wrote:
barrotmartin wrote:biology internship ftw.

I perm'd.

That's what student loans are for, bro :lol:

zapcaz

Postby zapcaz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:43 pm

Edited for RC failure on my part... (ie the SAME EXACT thing was posted right before me)
Last edited by zapcaz on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”