February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!)

How do you think you scored?

Below a 160
24%
161-162
6%
163-164
10%
165-166
9%
167-168
9%
169-170
6%
171-172
13%
173-174
8%
175-176
3%
177+
11%

Total votes: 173

PrincetonBound

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby PrincetonBound » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:49 pm

hotspur wrote:I think they should give you one number of your score per week. Like this Friday we'd all get an email that says "1" and we could all bond over that

That would be half genius, half torture.

barrotmartin

Postby barrotmartin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:56 pm

hotspur wrote:I think they should give you one number of your score per week. Like this Friday we'd all get an email that says "1" and we could all bond over that

I'm sure it's somewhere, but what's up with that '1'?

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:58 pm

It would be even more logical if they just gave us the LAST number of our lsat score, then gave us the middle number... That would be sweet.

Morpheus69

Postby Morpheus69 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:03 pm

you would think that since it is undisclosed and we don't get all the bells and whistles that others get, we would have at least a week cut back on waiting. Espicially since they know that the deadline for a lot of schools is on Wednesday. I'm doubting that a lot of them have anything to do on valentine's day. :P

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:26 pm

lsacqueen wrote:It would be even more logical if they just gave us the LAST number of our lsat score, then gave us the middle number... That would be sweet.

Haha like if I got a "9" this week I'd be so on edge all week to see if either I'm a) absolutely set b) going to be joining the June study thread.

imos

Postby imos » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Pesticide advertisement Weaken

There are more Short documentary then long scifi films.. Parallel with apartments and Victorians bathtubs

Bookstores hardcover best seller

Ants living in tree roots

Martian space rock life in space

Trucks vs snow studs, destroying roads

The mayors business affairs critics weaken

I took the test today, I just noticed I had similar sounding args (some i dont remember).

Organic Pesticide neighbor Weaken

Bacteria life in space from mars

Salting roads, destroying Cars

Major business owners political affairs -critics weaken

(i do remember seeing something similar to Bookstores hardcover best seller - it was something about a hardcover book infer question)

my brain is dead at the moment, but the games section had 1 positional sequence game, one was a grid type game, one easy one I dont remember (i did it in about 5 min), and another which looked like a very open grid game which I didnt really understand but I had 10 min left over so I pretty much had to eliminate every incorrect answer to get the correct ones.

The reading was entirely different from what I see written here, so not much to talk about there, but it would be very interesting if they just renamed some of the players in the arg questions.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:36 pm

barrotmartin wrote:

I'm sure it's somewhere, but what's up with that '1'?

It used to be on the 200-800 scale like the GMAT or SAT. My guess is that they switched it so that people wouldn't think the scores are equal. My guess is that a 730 on the GMAT isn't in the 99th percentile (although I can't find a chart). By making it 120-180, it makes it obviously different.

That's the reason UChicago put a 1 in front of their grading system. They didn't want people to confuse it with the regular 1-100 grading system.

Just my guess anyways.

ETA: Found the GMAT score percentiles. a 730 is in the 96th percentile. Certainly not shabby, but still not equal to what a 730 would equal on the old LSAT.

zapcaz

Postby zapcaz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Morpheus69 wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:I wish scores could come back in 1 week instead of 3.

seriously. the waiting is the part that angers me the most. Don't they realize how this effects so many lives?
This is one of the things i hate about the lsat not being computer-based. When i took the gmat i got my score right then and there on the screen. You leave the proctoring center with your score and don't have to do this annoying waiting game. No wonder lawyers drink so much. It's only been a couple of days and I'm already getting looks from cashiers on beer runs.
And what's up with them saying that on the date they are released they don't all go out at the same time? If they don't grade them by hand, then how hard is it to have the scanner that does grade them to send an email instantly? Or if the section that has a certain version of the exam all get graded and release the scores then?
Never thought I'd be praying for a 155,butttt..........

It does take time to run the statistical analysis necessary to ensure the integrity of the test. I assume the utilize various algorithms to detect anomalies within testing centers (ie the probability cheating occurred), within geographic regions (ie 1 region fared quite poorly on a particular section that is beyond the deviation parameters), across all test takers, across 'English' as a primary language and 'other' (to see if the test created an abnormal bias in favor of one language preference), to previous experimental sections containing the question, etc. The point is that this can't all just be plugged into a computer. Often this analysis can be much more subjective. I am also sure that the internal verification process for the LSAT is quite thorough and as such takes quite some time to verify the accuracy and validity of the scores. The GMAT and other tests do not have to rely so heavily on this sort of cross referencing due to the nature and use of those tests. Do I wish the process were faster? Yes, absolutely!

Oh well ... patience is a virtue I am told...

beebela

Postby beebela » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:50 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:It would be even more logical if they just gave us the LAST number of our lsat score, then gave us the middle number... That would be sweet.

Haha like if I got a "9" this week I'd be so on edge all week to see if either I'm a) absolutely set b) going to be joining the June study thread.

Same haha I think that'd make me WAY more crazy than waiting 3 weeks.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:14 pm

PrincetonBound wrote:

That would be half genius, half torture.

But at least you could automatically start the road towards alcoholism if after week two, you had a 1 and a 4.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:05 pm

I didn't think the three week wait was going to affect me as much as it is. Two days into it and I can't focus on much else. Maybe a TLS ban would do me some good. Is there anywhere to sign up for volunatary two and a half week bans?

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:48 pm

statistical analysis has nothing to do with our score, the curve is pre-determined, all those statistical analysis are for future test, why not release our score first then LSAC can take whatever time they want to finish the analysis. It only take one second for a machine to scan an answer sheet

zapcaz wrote:
Morpheus69 wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:I wish scores could come back in 1 week instead of 3.

seriously. the waiting is the part that angers me the most. Don't they realize how this effects so many lives?
This is one of the things i hate about the lsat not being computer-based. When i took the gmat i got my score right then and there on the screen. You leave the proctoring center with your score and don't have to do this annoying waiting game. No wonder lawyers drink so much. It's only been a couple of days and I'm already getting looks from cashiers on beer runs.
And what's up with them saying that on the date they are released they don't all go out at the same time? If they don't grade them by hand, then how hard is it to have the scanner that does grade them to send an email instantly? Or if the section that has a certain version of the exam all get graded and release the scores then?
Never thought I'd be praying for a 155,butttt..........

It does take time to run the statistical analysis necessary to ensure the integrity of the test. I assume the utilize various algorithms to detect anomalies within testing centers (ie the probability cheating occurred), within geographic regions (ie 1 region fared quite poorly on a particular section that is beyond the deviation parameters), across all test takers, across 'English' as a primary language and 'other' (to see if the test created an abnormal bias in favor of one language preference), to previous experimental sections containing the question, etc. The point is that this can't all just be plugged into a computer. Often this analysis can be much more subjective. I am also sure that the internal verification process for the LSAT is quite thorough and as such takes quite some time to verify the accuracy and validity of the scores. The GMAT and other tests do not have to rely so heavily on this sort of cross referencing due to the nature and use of those tests. Do I wish the process were faster? Yes, absolutely!

Oh well ... patience is a virtue I am told...

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 pm

statistical analysis has nothing to do with our score, the curve is pre-determined, all those statistical analysis are for future test, why not release our score first then LSAC can take whatever time they want to finish the analysis. It only take one second for a machine to scan an answer sheet

I'm pretty sure the consensus is that the curve is mostly pre-determined, but the performance of your peers on test day does affect the curve in some ways. I was thinking that even if this was the case, they could scan your sheet the day of the test, give you your raw score and a predicted LSAT score, with the caveat that it is subject to be moved up or down a point or two if the results of the day's exam are extraordinary.

Like say I knew I had 88 out of 100, and that score projected to be a 171, these next three weeks would be much less painful.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:01 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:

I'm pretty sure the consensus is that the curve is mostly pre-determined, but the performance of your peers on test day does affect the curve in some ways. I was thinking that even if this was the case, they could scan your sheet the day of the test, give you your raw score and a predicted LSAT score, with the caveat that it is subject to be moved up or down a point or two if the results of the day's exam are extraordinary.

Like say I knew I had 88 out of 100, and that score projected to be a 171, these next three weeks would be much less painful.

I was thinking about the same situation. Just because the test was scaled before the test does not mean the LSAC cannot step up to change the scale by a point or two after the administration of the test. Who knows? 8)

ross1004

Postby ross1004 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:10 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:I didn't think the three week wait was going to affect me as much as it is. Two days into it and I can't focus on much else. Maybe a TLS ban would do me some good. Is there anywhere to sign up for volunatary two and a half week bans?

Same. I'm really hoping this will fade to the back of my mind over the next few weeks but am far from confident that that will be the case.

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:22 pm

i quite like this idea :D
bernaldiaz wrote:

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:59 am

8 the next week FTW, could you imagine?

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:02 am

anteater1 wrote:

8 the next week FTW, could you imagine?

Must not let my mind even think of such things.

cute180frommars

Postby cute180frommars » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:04 am

Happy Valentines Day, all the Feb LSAT people!!

Ronburgandy2468

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:02 am

cute180frommars wrote:Happy Valentines Day, all the Feb LSAT people!!

<- Totally single.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:02 am

I really hope this curiosity subsides. I'm literally starting to lose my mind! I'm already prepping for June, and I think there's a very good chance I scored what I needed to! I think I just miss logic games. There's something about grabbing that deduction right away in a hybrid game haha. I started Skyrim today, with the hopes that it would get me through these few weeks, and it's barely helping! This is like waiting two weeks between a guilty verdict, and sentencing! It's brutal!

PrincetonBound

Postby PrincetonBound » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:36 am

The worst part of the wait for me is the knowledge that scores always come out early, but never on exactly the same timeline. That means that starting a week before the actual release date I'll be a nervous wreck every time I get an email. I will most likely have to turn off the email on my phone...

051RU5

Postby 051RU5 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:09 pm

sooperdooper wrote:Did anyone get distracted during the test? I know for me when i was taking LR... Dude next to me and behind me both had LG and they were pounding away on the table i could not focus. U guys think i should cancel? It left me guessing on quite a few questions.

Some cougar with high heels and saggers kept walking in and out of my testing room... click click click click...

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:17 pm

051RU5 wrote:
sooperdooper wrote:Did anyone get distracted during the test? I know for me when i was taking LR... Dude next to me and behind me both had LG and they were pounding away on the table i could not focus. U guys think i should cancel? It left me guessing on quite a few questions.

Some cougar with high heels and saggers kept walking in and out of my testing room... click click click click...

All throughout my studying and dozens of practice tests I would get majorly thrown off by the smallest things, but come game day I was just able to focus. I was pretty relieved when midway through I realized the people around me weren't going to pose that big of an issue.

Morpheus69

Postby Morpheus69 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:59 pm

lovejopd wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:

I was thinking about the same situation. Just because the test was scaled before the test does not mean the LSAC cannot step up to change the scale by a point or two after the administration of the test. Who knows? 8)

This is my viewpoint as well. Again, this is where the people behind the gmat are years ahead of lsac. All of these aspects like scaling, curving, statistical analysis, etc. could be coded into an algorithm of some sorts. The world where I'm moving from (trading) is 90% computer algorithms.

You would also think that they wouldn't be so wierd about takers discussing the test since it's only offered like four times out of the year. The gmat can be taken at any time throughout the year and they really don't care about the exam being discussed. It's kinda like the lsac really doesn't want you to succeed on the lsat, especially the February takers. You would think that with the number of takers for the lsat being if not higher than the gmat, and with the lsat meaning so much more for an applicant than the gmat, lsac would be on the cutting edge, technology-wise.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”