February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!)

How do you think you scored?

Below a 160
24%
161-162
6%
163-164
10%
165-166
9%
167-168
9%
169-170
6%
171-172
13%
173-174
8%
175-176
3%
177+
11%

Total votes: 173

hotspur

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby hotspur » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:08 pm

ross1004 wrote:If I could retake the logic games section, I would have done the first game last. That sequencing game was far more time consuming than I anticipated. I ultimately had to guess on four questions. Fortunately I completed every question in every other section.

This is the only reason I've doubted myself on this test. One difficult logic game is fine, but when it's paired with a seemingly easy game that takes a long time to finish the whole section becomes a lot more difficult/stressful.

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:16 pm

do you guys think its possible they remove the mars question from the test? I can't remember any question in recent lsats like that and it appears as if almost everybody got it wrong or was confused by it.

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:19 pm

it was from september 2009 experimental. im reading older threads right now to try and gauge the possible curve/difficulty for the test takers.

ross1004

Postby ross1004 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:21 pm

ampersand5 wrote:do you guys think its possible they remove the mars question from the test? I can't remember any question in recent lsats like that and it appears as if almost everybody got it wrong or was confused by it.

That would be wonderful.

Fyo'Couch

Postby Fyo'Couch » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:30 pm

ampersand5 wrote:do you guys think its possible they remove the mars question from the test? I can't remember any question in recent lsats like that and it appears as if almost everybody got it wrong or was confused by it.

I don't think perceived difficulty is grounds for removing an item from scoring, unless it is due to a spelling or grammatical error. '

There are a few questions every exam that only the elite test takers are expected to get right.

ross1004

Postby ross1004 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:41 pm

How would you all rate your performances on the monumentally important writing section? :P

hooma

Postby hooma » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:55 pm

ross1004 wrote:How would you all rate your performances on the monumentally important writing section? :P

oh man that writing section had me stumped, I'm considering cancelling :lol:

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Fyo'Couch wrote:

I don't think perceived difficulty is grounds for removing an item from scoring, unless it is due to a spelling or grammatical error. '

There are a few questions every exam that only the elite test takers are expected to get right.

questions aren't removed from scoring because of a spelling or grammar mistake, but because the amount of people on the test who got it right didn't correlate to what the experimental showed.
and there are very few questions in the past 65 pt in LR that were of that nature IMO.

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:22 pm

ampersand5 wrote:
Fyo'Couch wrote:

questions aren't removed from scoring because of a spelling or grammar mistake, but because the amount of people on the test who got it right didn't correlate to what the experimental showed.
and there are very few questions in the past 65 pt in LR that were of that nature IMO.

Actually, I think I have to agree with the other poster. I've been told from reputable sources that the only questions they omit from scoring are those that have mistakes (typos or grammar errors) which the high-scorers miss and the low-scorers get right. Those questions are atypical and do not accurately reflect the test takers' abilities. Questions aren't cancelled because they are difficult - like the other poster said, that's what these questions of varying difficulty are supposed to do. They separate great test takers from brilliant test takers.
Also, I'm fairly certain I got that question right, and the answer was pretty clear, provided you understood the stem...though it certainly was a difficult question.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:29 pm

lsacqueen wrote:
ampersand5 wrote:
Fyo'Couch wrote:

Actually, I think I have to agree with the other poster. I've been told from reputable sources that the only questions they omit from scoring are those that have mistakes (typos or grammar errors) which the high-scorers miss and the low-scorers get right. Those questions are atypical and do not accurately reflect the test takers' abilities. Questions aren't cancelled because they are difficult - like the other poster said, that's what these questions of varying difficulty are supposed to do. They separate great test takers from brilliant test takers.
Also, I'm fairly certain I got that question right, and the answer was pretty clear, provided you understood the stem...though it certainly was a difficult question.

+1

Didn't think that question was too hard.

barrotmartin

Postby barrotmartin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:41 pm

biology internship ftw.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:57 pm

what question number was the Mars question? I'm assuming the 20s? Because I don't think I remember that question. Probably guessed due to time.

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:01 pm

lsacqueen wrote:
ampersand5 wrote:
Fyo'Couch wrote:

you are right - they remove questions because the scores don't corroborate with what they expect. I wasn't suggesting that the question be removed because it was too hard, but because of the possibility that it was a weird question. I am not saying it even is a weird question that should be looked at, just that I thought it was. Congrats on getting it right.

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:27 pm

On a different note, did anyone else find the modern apartments/Victorian bathtubs question to be particularly challenging?

sbaron

Postby sbaron » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:27 pm

I am extremely confused by the possibility that the LGs were mixed between the real and experimental section. Would they really cherry pick questions or just grade an entire section? That seems to go against equitable, standardized testing. I recall both my logic games had 23 questions each.
My test was LG – LR – LG – RC – LR.
I was hoping the second LG was the real one, I believe I did well on it. (This is the one with the baseball diamonds). But from what I’m reading on the threads this seems to be the “experimental section”.
My first LG was the pet owners and the Wednesday afternoon-Friday Morning – Friday afternoon game and the long commercial short commercial. I found this one to be difficult.
I got really drunk Saturday night and woke up Sunday morning at 8AM and had the urge to go write a prep test. I am going to miss the LSAT.
I am up in Canada eh? Wrote the test with roughly 60 other people. Comfortable conditions, great proctor. Fortunately I checked my driver’s license the night before. It was expired. I used my passport instead. That would have been horrible had I shown up with an expired ID and was turned away.

PrincetonBound

Postby PrincetonBound » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:40 pm

barrotmartin wrote:biology internship ftw.

Truth. Too bad we'll never know which option Jessica chose.

Part of me hopes the LSAT bases the writing section on real people's problems. Since law schools don't really care, at least then someone would benefit from our sound advice.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:40 pm

PrincetonBound wrote:

Truth. Too bad we'll never know which option Jessica chose.

Part of me hopes the LSAT bases the writing section on real people's problems. Since law schools don't really care, at least then someone would benefit from our sound advice.

Hahah that would be great

Fyo'Couch

Postby Fyo'Couch » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:41 pm

lsacqueen wrote:On a different note, did anyone else find the modern apartments/Victorian bathtubs question to be particularly challenging?

Yeah...this one was a pain in the ass. I saved it until the the end and spent a good 3 minutes on it. Without getting into specifics, 2 answer choices looked really good with 1 subtle difference.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:52 pm

lsacqueen wrote:On a different note, did anyone else find the modern apartments/Victorian bathtubs question to be particularly challenging?

Yes.

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:03 pm

Feb is undisclosed, It is possible LSAT even can test the different combination within one section, I guess we will just never know. I think that is one reason some people suggest never take Feb(undisclosed) exam. It my seem a little bit unfair for some person. :(

FinallyGoing wrote:I've spoken to a friend who took the test on the other coast, he had double LG with 2 the LG's I had split between the two sections..WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF (posted in 2 relevant threads fyi)

bamalama

Postby bamalama » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Or you could have whatever is in this MYSTERY BOX!!

Excellent.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:16 pm

I took the mystery box.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:18 pm

noleknight16 wrote:

Yes.

how'd you do bro?

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:21 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:

Yes.

how'd you do bro?

Unsure. I would feel more confident if I knocked out the logic games. I just want to hit my PT average of 164-166ish.

agcl0913

Postby agcl0913 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:23 pm

No way, no way. She should have spent that summer working :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”