February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!)

How do you think you scored?

Below a 160
24%
161-162
6%
163-164
10%
165-166
9%
167-168
9%
169-170
6%
171-172
13%
173-174
8%
175-176
3%
177+
11%

Total votes: 173

displacedsoutherner

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby displacedsoutherner » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:16 pm

luuma wrote:
displacedsoutherner wrote:So I was one of the lucky test takers that got two logic games section. By now I guess we’ve established that:

Wed AM / Fri AM / Fri PM – real
Cats/pet owners – real
TV commercials short/long(?) --real

bird presentations in auditoriums -- experimental
movie screens/times -- experimental

The rub for me: I'm 95% certain that my bird presentations question was on the same section as the Wed AM /Fri AM / Fri PM one. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I had one question right after the other. The movie screens/times one was on the same section, as was a pure sequencing one (though I'm marginally less certain about that bit).

Anyone else have this experience?? There's no way they'd mix up experimental questions with real ones in the same section, is there?

Good luck, everybody! Fingers crossed for a generous curve.

YES. They DID this time! I had the Wednesday and Friday (which I found easy) for me was on the "experimental" and on the "real" one I had a game about balls that no one else has taken, except for ONE user who has PMed me about it. Do you remember a game about different colored balls? I don't recall one about a bird presentation..Can you tell me more about this..? Does not sound familiar at all.. I did have the movie screen/times (Horror before Sci Fi)? And I also had a pure sequencing one. Was it LG-LR-LG-RC-LR for you too?

Yes! I had LG-LR-LG-RC-LR.

Definitely no questions about colored balls on mine, though I did have a pure sequencing (about clowns, maybe?) the Wed/Fri/Fri, pet owners, TV commercials, movie types/times -- by genre, so sounds the same as yours -- and those damn birds. The birds question was on my second LG section, but so was the Wed/Fri/Fri one. Pet owners was on the first one, I'm pretty sure, and screen times was on the second.

This doesn't seem consistent with the types (real vs. experimental) that people have distinguished... I wonder what's going on here. At any rate, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who seems to have some confusion about this!

Also, I created an account this morning to post this, because I prepped completely on my own for the test I took yesterday, and this has genuinely puzzled me since I started lurking on this thread.

swish41

Postby swish41 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Pm me too please :)

Alexp1206

Postby Alexp1206 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:23 pm

People keep saying cats instead of pets for game two because all of the "tenants" were women with crazy cat lady names

Morpheus69

Postby Morpheus69 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:41 pm

WOW. I thought I was the only one freaking out about this thing. After four months of doing nothing but studying for this thing, I'm seriously worried. It's all pretty much a blur now. All I can remember is that I went LG - LR - LG - RC - LR, I think. Wierd thing is that I think the LG that I did okay on ( and by that I mean I actually did half the questions without guessing) may have been the experimental section.
I do have a learning disability but decided not to even try to get extended time because it's just too big of a headache to try to get, plus didn't want the astrict beside my score. I came up with the strategy for the LR of spending 25 minutes on the first ten to fifteen problems, then whenever they start to get difficult, go to the end and work my way backwards. When the proctor gives the call for the last 5 minutes start to see if I can't quickly sketch out and solve it (say, for a conditional problem) then guess. I know we can't say answers to specific questions or anything because of the lsac rules ( and after reading the thread up here I was suprised to see this thread posted this morning. I checked yesterday after the massacre and felt kinda alone). I'll just say that I used the advice from the powerscore website and guessed the one choice they said to guess everytime because it gives you an almost 22% chance of getting it correct. I did this for all the sections, the problem is I didn't think I would ever have to guess any more than 8 or 10 because thats what all my practice exams came out to be.
I ended up having to guess 10 on average FOR EVERY SECTION :shock: :cry: :evil:
I knew ahead of time that the LR sections were gonna be my weakest points, so I concentrated on on improving my stronger sections and try to lockup at least that half of the exam.
Just wondering if anyone else felt like it was completely different than the material you practiced on? I didn't see any conditional statments, but then again I felt like I was kinda in a haze the entire time. I know that I'm not a morning person AT ALL, and my accomadations allow me to take my exams/tests in the afternoon. This is why for the month leading up to the exam I started getting up at five and doing practice runs at 8. But still kinda thunderstruck over just how wierd it felt. And before you knew it, the proctor was announcing five minutes left when I'm only half way done and not 100% certain that the work I'd done so far was correct.
I did notice how a few of the LG were pretty much the same pattern as usual, but the LR really has me pissed. The RC was really blurry for me because I just couldn't shake the effect the LR had on me, and when I saw the RC section all I could think about was how I needed to do better on the last LR section. When the essay came I was so beside myself about how the LR sections were I only wrote enough to fill up the first page of the essay section and sat and waited for the last ten minutes in shock of what just happened.

I have no idea what to do now. I was shooting for a 165 or higher to make up for my undergrad gpa from six years back of 2.48 ( I know its bad, but I never took my meds or anything because the side effects were unbareable to me, which I plan on mentioning in my addendums).
I can't wait another year for law school. I want to go somewhere like iowa or washu (both of whom are probably just a pipedream now)syracuse, buffalo,maryland,hofstra,msu,nccu,pitt,iub, and schools along that range. I am an AA URM with almost six years experience of running my own fund, but don't know if that will help my situation.

Sorry for rambling but after all the work I've put in for this exam I'm a little concerned to say the least.

Morpheus69

Postby Morpheus69 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:48 pm

displacedsoutherner wrote:
luuma wrote:
displacedsoutherner wrote:So I was one of the lucky test takers that got two logic games section. By now I guess we’ve established that:

Cats/pet owners – real

The rub for me: I'm 95% certain that my bird presentations question was on the same section as the Wed AM /Fri AM / Fri PM one. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I had one question right after the other. The movie screens/times one was on the same section, as was a pure sequencing one (though I'm marginally less certain about that bit).

Anyone else have this experience?? There's no way they'd mix up experimental questions with real ones in the same section, is there?

YES. They DID this time! I had the Wednesday and Friday (which I found easy) for me was on the "experimental" and on the "real" one I had a game about balls that no one else has taken, except for ONE user who has PMed me about it. Do you remember a game about different colored balls? I don't recall one about a bird presentation..Can you tell me more about this..? Does not sound familiar at all.. I did have the movie screen/times (Horror before Sci Fi)? And I also had a pure sequencing one. Was it LG-LR-LG-RC-LR for you too?

Definitely no questions about colored balls on mine, though I did have a pure sequencing (about clowns, maybe?) the Wed/Fri/Fri, pet owners, TV commercials, movie types/times -- by genre, so sounds the same as yours -- and those damn birds. The birds question was on my second LG section, but so was the Wed/Fri/Fri one. Pet owners was on the first one, I'm pretty sure, and screen times was on the second.

This doesn't seem consistent with the types (real vs. experimental) that people have distinguished... I wonder what's going on here. At any rate, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who seems to have some confusion about this!

Also, I created an account this morning to post this, because I prepped completely on my own for the test I took yesterday, and this has genuinely puzzled me since I started lurking on this thread.

Pretty sure I had the same exam as well. I did have the wed/Fri/Fri morning/evening, tv commercials. Those where the ones I think I actually did pretty well on.
At the break the guy sitting beside me (there were only 9 people who took it with me) said his first two sections were both RC.
I had the wierdest feeling throughout this exam. You know its bad when you get home and check what your score will be if you missed a certain amount of questions. :shock:

Fyo'Couch

Postby Fyo'Couch » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Morpheus69 wrote:WOW. I thought I was the only one freaking out about this thing. After four months of doing nothing but studying for this thing, I'm seriously worried. It's all pretty much a blur now. All I can remember is that I went LG - LR - LG - RC - LR, I think. Wierd thing is that I think the LG that I did okay on ( and by that I mean I actually did half the questions without guessing) may have been the experimental section.
I do have a learning disability but decided not to even try to get extended time because it's just too big of a headache to try to get, plus didn't want the astrict beside my score. I came up with the strategy for the LR of spending 25 minutes on the first ten to fifteen problems, then whenever they start to get difficult, go to the end and work my way backwards. When the proctor gives the call for the last 5 minutes start to see if I can't quickly sketch out and solve it (say, for a conditional problem) then guess. I know we can't say answers to specific questions or anything because of the lsac rules ( and after reading the thread up here I was suprised to see this thread posted this morning. I checked yesterday after the massacre and felt kinda alone). I'll just say that I used the advice from the powerscore website and guessed the one choice they said to guess everytime because it gives you an almost 22% chance of getting it correct. I did this for all the sections, the problem is I didn't think I would ever have to guess any more than 8 or 10 because thats what all my practice exams came out to be.
I ended up having to guess 10 on average FOR EVERY SECTION :shock: :cry: :evil:
I knew ahead of time that the LR sections were gonna be my weakest points, so I concentrated on on improving my stronger sections and try to lockup at least that half of the exam.
Just wondering if anyone else felt like it was completely different than the material you practiced on? I didn't see any conditional statments, but then again I felt like I was kinda in a haze the entire time. I know that I'm not a morning person AT ALL, and my accomadations allow me to take my exams/tests in the afternoon. This is why for the month leading up to the exam I started getting up at five and doing practice runs at 8. But still kinda thunderstruck over just how wierd it felt. And before you knew it, the proctor was announcing five minutes left when I'm only half way done and not 100% certain that the work I'd done so far was correct.
I did notice how a few of the LG were pretty much the same pattern as usual, but the LR really has me pissed. The RC was really blurry for me because I just couldn't shake the effect the LR had on me, and when I saw the RC section all I could think about was how I needed to do better on the last LR section. When the essay came I was so beside myself about how the LR sections were I only wrote enough to fill up the first page of the essay section and sat and waited for the last ten minutes in shock of what just happened.

I have no idea what to do now. I was shooting for a 165 or higher to make up for my undergrad gpa from six years back of 2.48 ( I know its bad, but I never took my meds or anything because the side effects were unbareable to me, which I plan on mentioning in my addendums).
I can't wait another year for law school. I want to go somewhere like iowa or washu (both of whom are probably just a pipedream now)syracuse, buffalo,maryland,hofstra,msu,nccu,pitt,iub, and schools along that range. I am an AA URM with almost six years experience of running my own fund, but don't know if that will help my situation.

Sorry for rambling but after all the work I've put in for this exam I'm a little concerned to say the least.

If you guessed on nearly half the exam you are definitely not getting that 165. Even if you got 80% of the questions you attempted correct you are looking at a raw score in the 50/100 range and a scaled in the 140's. You may not want to hear this, but you are probably better off cancelling and retaking for next cycle.

cute180frommars

Postby cute180frommars » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:58 pm

I didn't find the RC to be easy at all :(
Last edited by cute180frommars on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Since Feb is undisclosed, maybe LSAT even can test the different combination within one section, I guess we will just never know. I think that is one reason some people suggest never take Feb exam. It my seem a little bit unfair for some person.

Also, I created an account this morning to post this, because I prepped completely on my own for the test I took yesterday, and this has genuinely puzzled me since I started lurking on this thread.[/quote]

uwockla

Postby uwockla » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:27 pm

noleknight16 wrote:I thought the test was kind of on the easier side, but mentally, I wasn't completely there. Took longer on games and RC than I wanted and had to guess on some. Wouldn't surprise me if I blew it.

Hard LR-LG-LR-LR-RC

No idea which LR was exp.

I had the same sequence. It seems like the LR with 26 questions was the experimental which i believe was the third section

Morpheus69

Postby Morpheus69 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Fyo'Couch wrote:If you guessed on nearly half the exam you are definitely not getting that 165. Even if you got 80% of the questions you attempted correct you are looking at a raw score in the 50/100 range and a scaled in the 140's. You may not want to hear this, but you are probably better off cancelling and retaking for next cycle.

yea but waiting until next cycle is really not an option for me at this point in my life. I'm really hoping for accentance to a part-time program.

beebela

Postby beebela » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:43 pm

uwockla wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:I thought the test was kind of on the easier side, but mentally, I wasn't completely there. Took longer on games and RC than I wanted and had to guess on some. Wouldn't surprise me if I blew it.

Hard LR-LG-LR-LR-RC

I had the same sequence. It seems like the LR with 26 questions was the experimental which i believe was the third section

I had LR-LG-LR-LR-RC as well but I could have sworn all of my LR sections were 25 questions...would they give two different LR experimental sections?

agcl0913

Postby agcl0913 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Morpheus69 wrote:
displacedsoutherner wrote:
luuma wrote:

Cats/pet owners – real

Pretty sure I had the same exam as well. I did have the wed/Fri/Fri morning/evening, tv commercials. Those where the ones I think I actually did pretty well on.
At the break the guy sitting beside me (there were only 9 people who took it with me) said his first two sections were both RC.
I had the wierdest feeling throughout this exam. You know its bad when you get home and check what your score will be if you missed a certain amount of questions. :shock:

I had LG-LR-LG*-LR-RC too, although I think my experimental was different. My first LG had pets, commercials, Wed/Fri/Fri, and some unmemorable sequencing game. The only game I remember from my second LG was one about nonstop/layover flights. No colored balls. The first LG shook me up (first time I've ever had no clue at all on one answer), so when I zoomed through the second LG, I was really hoping that was the scored LG. Bummer to get back home to TLS and realize the first one was the scored one.

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:06 pm

im not upset by the fact that feb is undisclosed, im frustrated because they don't tell us how we did on each section. I don't understand how telling us could impact lsac at all.

Robinson

Postby Robinson » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:09 pm

I am just confused as to what it means if I had all four real games, but they were scattered across two LG sections with experimental games mixed in. Will they cherry-pick those games out? Or grade specific sections? That doesn't seem normal/fair. By definition experimental games can be difficult or unfamiliar and if they are in the same section as with other games, then their appearance could affect performance on regular, graded games.

luuma

Postby luuma » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:26 pm

Robinson wrote:I am just confused as to what it means if I had all four real games, but they were scattered across two LG sections with experimental games mixed in. Will they cherry-pick those games out? Or grade specific sections? That doesn't seem normal/fair. By definition experimental games can be difficult or unfamiliar and if they are in the same section as with other games, then their appearance could affect performance on regular, graded games.

As you know, I couldn't agree more. If this is standardized testing where everyone is graded equally with equal testing conditions, couldn't this affect the fairness of the lsat "curve"? It's not a balanced portrayal. Either we got really lucky with whatever protocol they take, or really unlucky...

barrotmartin

Postby barrotmartin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:32 pm

beebela wrote:
uwockla wrote:

Hard LR-LG-LR-LR-RC

I had LR-LG-LR-LR-RC as well but I could have sworn all of my LR sections were 25 questions...would they give two different LR experimental sections?

I'm fairly confident that I had 3 LR sections of 25 each for a total of 100 questions as well. If people who got the LG experimental are saying that their 'real games' were spread across the two sections, it's possible that there's two LG experimental sections as well. Or maybe they do cherry pick across sections-- in that case it's possible with LR experimentals as well.
tl;dr: february=black hole

Nick18

Postby Nick18 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:34 pm

What did everyone think about the LR problem about the fluoridated water in Britain and America? Without getting too specific, I remember having a hard time with it. I ended up choosing the answer that was a defender assumption something about diet affecting tooth decay... :|

zapcaz

Postby zapcaz » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Nick18 wrote:What did everyone think about the LR problem about the fluoridated water in Britain and America? Without getting too specific, I remember having a hard time with it. I ended up choosing the answer that was a defender assumption something about diet affecting tooth decay... :|

Same

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:41 pm

Nick18 wrote:What did everyone think about the LR problem about the fluoridated water in Britain and America? Without getting too specific, I remember having a hard time with it. I ended up choosing the answer that was a defender assumption something about diet affecting tooth decay... :|

Good news. That's the correct answer :)

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:42 pm

luuma wrote:
Robinson wrote:I am just confused as to what it means if I had all four real games, but they were scattered across two LG sections with experimental games mixed in. Will they cherry-pick those games out? Or grade specific sections? That doesn't seem normal/fair. By definition experimental games can be difficult or unfamiliar and if they are in the same section as with other games, then their appearance could affect performance on regular, graded games.

As you know, I couldn't agree more. If this is standardized testing where everyone is graded equally with equal testing conditions, couldn't this affect the fairness of the lsat "curve"? It's not a balanced portrayal. Either we got really lucky with whatever protocol they take, or really unlucky...

I really don't think that such a thing is possible. It goes against everything that the LSAT is. Are you and the others 100% sure?

luuma

Postby luuma » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:43 pm

barrotmartin wrote:
beebela wrote:
uwockla wrote:

Hard LR-LG-LR-LR-RC

I'm fairly confident that I had 3 LR sections of 25 each for a total of 100 questions as well. If people who got the LG experimental are saying that their 'real games' were spread across the two sections, it's possible that there's two LG experimental sections as well. Or maybe they do cherry pick across sections-- in that case it's possible with LR experimentals as well.
tl;dr: february=black hole

Yikes. I didn't even think about that for LR people! Good point... good lsat assumption. e_e

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:50 pm

I was pting between 167-176. The times I performed sub 170 usually occurred for two reasons: I was lethargic while doing LR and missed 1-2 stupid questions (and would finish the section 10 minutes early and never double check anything) and if I got a really bad sleep the night before (usually influencing rc the most). I did a pt almost everyday at 8 am and occasionally did another one in the afternoon. I always scored better on the afternoon ones.

The night before the test I fell asleep at 10 oclock and woke up at 2 and couldn't go back to bed. I got out of bed and at 4 am did pt 65 (and scored a 173). I ate breakfast and headed for the test centre. I nailed the first 3 sections but didn't feel as confident on 4 and 5. During 5 (rc) I was really tired and although I never know how I did on RC, my tiredness makes me think I might have missed some stuff.

I hope for the best but know there is a huge range of where my score could fall.
I feel as if its possible I got perfect on the args 1 and games. On args 2 there was one question I guessed and a between 3-5 I wasn't positive about. On RC I have no idea.

I'm now trying to figure out what I got and I keep changing my mind on whether its possible I got a 174-ish or a 167.
Where is everyone else at right now?

displacedsoutherner

Postby displacedsoutherner » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:54 pm

ampersand5 wrote:
luuma wrote:

I really don't think that such a thing is possible. It goes against everything that the LSAT is. Are you and the others 100% sure?

I am virtually 100% certain that the Wed AM / Fri AM / Fri PM question (real) was on the same section as the horrific question about bird presentations and auditoriums (which, apparently, was experimental). I'm pretty sure that pet owners was that same section, too.

displacedsoutherner

Postby displacedsoutherner » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:03 pm

For the record, the logic games that I remember:

-Pets Owners/Apartments
-One easy pure sequencing (clowns, maybe? Desperately hope this one was real)
-Wed AM / Fri AM / Fri PM
-Grouping one -- lawyers, maybe? Legal clients? I remember the numbers and some of the variables, but not much else.
-Bird presentations
-Commercials (short and long)
-Movie times

For the record, I never run out of time the way I ran out of time on the second LG section on the birds question. I had Wed/Fri/Fri the same section (again, almost certain) and also I THINK pet owners, so my head was just wrecked over the timing by the time I got to the question. Definitely the most difficult LG in terms of time management that I've seen in a good long while.

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:07 pm

im reading the tls threads from previous lsats that had our sections as their experimentals. Its definitely interesting. My hope is to gauge how hard others viewed them.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”