February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!)

How do you think you scored?

Below a 160
24%
161-162
6%
163-164
10%
165-166
9%
167-168
9%
169-170
6%
171-172
13%
173-174
8%
175-176
3%
177+
11%

Total votes: 173

ampersand5

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby ampersand5 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:34 am

beebela wrote:
ampersand5 wrote:After I finished the section, I spent like 4 minutes on question 23 and had no idea what it could be and had to completely guess. Definitely one of the toughest argument questions I have ever faced.

Was that the mars/earth meteor question? If so, I finished the rest of the section with ~7 minutes left and then just read that one over and over again haha I'm glad it wasn't just me.

yes. hopefully you were able to figure it out. I had no idea after reading everything over several times. first time i've ever guessed on a question.

PrincetonBound

Postby PrincetonBound » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:37 am

ampersand5 wrote:
beebela wrote:
ampersand5 wrote:After I finished the section, I spent like 4 minutes on question 23 and had no idea what it could be and had to completely guess. Definitely one of the toughest argument questions I have ever faced.

Was that the mars/earth meteor question? If so, I finished the rest of the section with ~7 minutes left and then just read that one over and over again haha I'm glad it wasn't just me.

yes. hopefully you were able to figure it out. I had no idea after reading everything over several times. first time i've ever guessed on a question.

This one was the WORST.

beebela

Postby beebela » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:39 am

PrincetonBound wrote:
ampersand5 wrote:
beebela wrote:

This one was the WORST.

Agreed.

I ended up guessing as well. The first time I went through the answer choices I eliminated all of them...never a good sign.

buck

Postby buck » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:51 am

ampersand5 wrote:
I had great proctors...They took one minute off between sections.

Proctors should just follow the written rules. I've heard of similar adjustments being made at other centers and I would definitely report these to LSAC if it happened at my center. It's a standardized test meaning conditions should be the same for all test takers. And a minute is lots of time for a test taker to check over the 4-5 questions lying in front of them and make changes once the next section begins. Why create the opportunity and temptation?
Last edited by buck on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:52 am

Am I the only one who thought the 2nd LR section (4th section i'm assuming for majority) was easier than the 1st LR section? Maybe I'm being biased because the 1st question of the 1st LR section (something about organic milk method vs conventional milk method) completely threw me off and I had to guess the last 3 or 4 questions due to time.

bananashotgun

Postby bananashotgun » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:03 pm

fatpeopleavenger wrote:Am I the only one who thought the 2nd LR section (4th section i'm assuming for majority) was easier than the 1st LR section? Maybe I'm being biased because the 1st question of the 1st LR section (something about organic milk method vs conventional milk method) completely threw me off and I had to guess the last 3 or 4 questions due to time.

my first question of the test was the apple one and i narrowed it down to 2 and felt really stupid that i wasn't 100% sure of the FIRST FREAKIN' QUESTION. ugh. at least I hit a decent groove after that and did well on the LG. I was seriously about to cancel after that question because i lost a lot of confidence on something stupid like that.

kweehunt

Postby kweehunt » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:31 pm

Any other poor souls run out of time on the Games?

I messed up big time and had to re-diagram one of them. Cost me some valuable time :(
I am confident about the games questions I didn't have to blindly guess on though.

jigglebottom

Postby jigglebottom » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:10 pm

kweehunt wrote:Any other poor souls run out of time on the Games?

I messed up big time and had to re-diagram one of them. Cost me some valuable time :(
I am confident about the games questions I didn't have to blindly guess on though.

if you didn't guess you probably answered a large number of them correctly. It's the strangest thing, I practice at 158-163 and I seriously feel like I killed the games. I ran out of time on one question. My experience may have been different because I worked from the fourth game backwards. Not really sure why and I've never really done that. Also, re: a few posts above. I also had a really rough time with the first LR! It was my first section and I think I definitely started off slow. Unfortunate. But the second LR was much better, aside from the martian question..

QuincyWagstaff

Postby QuincyWagstaff » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:27 pm

LR was challenging on this test, and that's coming from someone who consistently kills every LR section in about 25 minutes. Especially LR 1.

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:48 pm

I had LR-LG-LR-LR-RC and felt that the 1st was rather simple, the 2nd seemed a bit off to me especially given the question types of the first two questions, and the third LR (section 4) felt somewhat difficult in the middle.

I too eliminated all answers on the meteorite question and just sort of ended the section by looking at it and laughing to myself.

Through most of my practests I have been at:

LR1 -3 LG-7 LR2-2/3 RC-1 and have usually ended up with something between a 166-169. If I scored in the top part of that range I'll be ecstatic.

MConchis

Postby MConchis » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Does anyone remember which questions were on the experimental 25 question LR?

Also, if anyone can give me insight on the fluoride LR question, PM me.

mleinba

Postby mleinba » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:57 pm

I am feeling so bummed today about how the test went for me yesterday and am wondering what you guys think about a double cancel versus keeping a (potentially) low score.

Background:
I graduated this past May from a top-20 university with a 3.74 GPA and a double major in Business Admin and French Studies. This GPA does not include a 4.0 from my semester abroad in France, but I suppose this does not matter since law schools do not seem to care about study abroad. If it was included, I would have a GPA slightly over 3.8.

I self-studied for the LSAT using PowerScore books between July-Oct. I took the October 2011 LSAT and just could not seem to get through any of the sections since I had not been able to discipline myself to take enough full-length diagnostics to simulate the time pressure of the actual LSAT. I suspected that I had likely scored in the high 150s since I am precise on those questions that I get to, but was consistently missing the last 5 questions or so in each section. Given that my goal is to be in the 170-175 range, I did not have to think too hard about cancelling it.

After cancelling the score, I promptly enrolled in a Testmasters course that would force me to take more diagnostics and get more motivated. I continued to improve in my diagnostics and received a 168 on my final diag. Given that I was not yet at my target score, I decided to take the Feb LSAT instead of the December so that I could have more time to take diagnostics and fix those questions that were still giving me trouble. Over the course of the past month, I took over ten (timed) diagnostics and consistently scored in the 165-173 range.

Now flash forward to yesterday. I felt confident and did well in my first section (my order was LR-LG-LR-LR-RC), but then totally choked in LG. I usually get through three games (and maybe start the fourth), but get all of the questions correct. I got totally tripped up, though, on the pet-owner and W/F AM/PM questions and had to blindly guess on about 8 questions (versus the usual 4-5). I did not feel great about the second LR since I was still recovering from LG, but this was the experimental anyway. The third LR was only decent-- my memory of it is sort of blurred, but I remember that I did not get to a couple of questions at the end, plus there were a couple of other questions that I was uncertain about. The big killer for me was RC. I went into the section knowing it counted and knowing this was it-- I usually do well in my final section since I know that I will soon be done, but I just totally freaked out and could not absorb the words I was reading in the first passage. I skipped forward to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th passages and answered all of them, but did not feel like I was really "in the zone." I had to blind guess on the entire first passage. Given that I usually get (at most) 5 wrong in RC, this was just a total failure of an ending.

So what do I do now? I know that I need to re-take in either June or October since I know that I am incapable of doing as badly as I did yesterday again, but I feel like the likelihood of my having scored above a 163 is low. Would a double cancel look worse than a score in the high 150's or low 160's? Does my next LSAT count as the final third attempt or does the cancel not really count?

I am so disappointed in my RC freak-out and know that I am capable of succeeding at a top law school, but know I will not get in if I cannot control my nerves the third time around. Any thoughts about cancelling or not? I really appreciate it (and sorry for this book of a post).

051RU5

Postby 051RU5 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:01 pm

My test order was LR LG LR | LR RC. The third LR section completely mind F*&%^% me. I remember an unusual amount of parallel questions and found most questions to be very long compared to the prep tests. This tired me out for the RC section which I ended up guessing for the last passage. I also found the pets game and wed/fri game a little on the tougher side.

Any chances that 3rd LR section is experimental?

mleinba

Postby mleinba » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:03 pm

051RU5 wrote:My test order was LR LG LR | LR RC. The third LR section completely mind F*&%^% me. I remember an unusual amount of parallel questions and found most questions to be very long compared to the prep tests. This tired me out for the RC section which I ended up guessing for the last passage. I also found the pets game and wed/fri game a little on the tougher side.

Any chances that 3rd LR section is experimental?

Unfortunately, the 3rd LR section counts. The 2nd LR was experimental.

Your experiences with RC and LG sound exactly like mine. Three LR's was pretty exhausting mentally.

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Can anyone who remembers the rules for the games section please PM me?

displacedsoutherner

Postby displacedsoutherner » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:12 pm

So I was one of the lucky test takers that got two logic games section. By now I guess we’ve established that:

Wed AM / Fri AM / Fri PM – real
Cats/pet owners – real
TV commercials short/long(?) --real

bird presentations in auditoriums -- experimental
movie screens/times -- experimental

The rub for me: I'm 95% certain that my bird presentations question was on the same section as the Wed AM /Fri AM / Fri PM one. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I had one question right after the other. The movie screens/times one was on the same section, as was a pure sequencing one (though I'm marginally less certain about that bit).

Anyone else have this experience?? There's no way they'd mix up experimental questions with real ones in the same section, is there?

Good luck, everybody! Fingers crossed for a generous curve.

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:31 pm

displacedsoutherner wrote:So I was one of the lucky test takers that got two logic games section. By now I guess we’ve established that:

Cats/pet owners – real

The rub for me: I'm 95% certain that my bird presentations question was on the same section as the Wed AM /Fri AM / Fri PM one. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I had one question right after the other. The movie screens/times one was on the same section, as was a pure sequencing one (though I'm marginally less certain about that bit).

Anyone else have this experience?? There's no way they'd mix up experimental questions with real ones in the same section, is there?

There was one test that everybody had (excluding the experimental). Your test was not an anomaly and you are mistaken.
We will never know the curve but I believe it will be -13.

luuma

Postby luuma » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:32 pm

displacedsoutherner wrote:So I was one of the lucky test takers that got two logic games section. By now I guess we’ve established that:

Cats/pet owners – real

YES. They DID this time! I had the Wednesday and Friday (which I found easy) for me was on the "experimental" and on the "real" one I had a game about balls that no one else has taken, except for ONE user who has PMed me about it. Do you remember a game about different colored balls? I don't recall one about a bird presentation..Can you tell me more about this..? Does not sound familiar at all.. I did have the movie screen/times (Horror before Sci Fi)? And I also had a pure sequencing one. Was it LG-LR-LG-RC-LR for you too?

bamalama

Postby bamalama » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:40 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster, yada yada yada...

My test configuration: LG-LR-RC(experimental) *break* RC-LR

LG was always my weakest section with my timed PTs ranging from -15 to -3, improving over time. This was a hard LG section but overall I'm happy that even though I had to guess on a few questions, I was able to confidently answer the easier questions at the beginning of the two more advanced games (pets and interviews).

My practice for the LG consisted of doing real LG sections from 1-15 untimed, 30-49 timed, 50-65 timed as part of complete PTs, and 15-30 selectively to drill specific game types. I'll be happy never to see another logic game again - what a stupid requirement for the LSAT.

The first LR was easy compared to more recent LR sections from past tests. I found the test environment distracting (proctors walking between the rows, noise from outside) so I was glad that I brought an analog watch to pace myself. I usually have 3-6 minutes left at the end of these sections but during the test I went more slowly, re-reading question prompts to avoid careless mistakes. My recent practice tests range from -0 to -4 for LR, and you really can't compare LR from the last decade to those from the 90s which are much easier.

Experimental RC and real RC...
I LOVE RC! I honestly think I might keep the RC sections from my practice tests and read further about the more interesting humanities sections for pleasure. I had to smile at the section on color field painting because I'm a fan of that style already! Overall, the experimental section was harder than the real RC on heirloom veggies etc., however, the real RC felt more time-consuming even if the answers were more straightforward.

The last LR was comparable or harder than those from recent LSATs. The Mars-isotope question was very difficult but still doable. I was thrown for a loop by the hotel guidelines question (radiant floor heating/cooling) because I found it similar to some recent LR practice questions that tripped me up. I spent all my review time at the end of the section just fretting about whether they would really put a question that was so easy near the end just because it had a tricky "key". Did anyone else notice that about the hotel question? (I'm being as vague as possible to avoid breaking any rules)

My original diagnostic was 159 on the free 1997 LSAT, and my last three PTs (from 2010) were 167, 172, and 169. I'm another one who will be keeping my fingers crossed for a generous curve to crack 170.

Best wishes to all those who wrote yesterday, time to unwind!

Robinson

Postby Robinson » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:40 pm

Um I definitely had the same test as luuma. It had a sequencing, something, movie, and lecture series games in the second series, and I had a game with red, white and green balls in the first which I think was the experimental section. He/she is not mistaken about their exam. Also, I am new, made this account to post this.

rich_4

Postby rich_4 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:47 pm

This has probably been discussed, but can anyone speculate if the RC with police interrogation was real?

I went LR25, LG 23, RC 27, LR25, RC 27

I thought LG was easier than June and October. LR was about the same as October.

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:49 pm

i think the curve will be extremely ungenerous curve, but again this is undisclosed test, anything can happen.

ross1004 wrote:Do you guys think it will have a generous or ungenerous curve? Also, what did you think of the games section?

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:52 pm

Since Feb is undisclosed, maybe LSAT even can test the different combination within one section, I guess we will just never know. I think that is one reason some people suggest never take Feb exam. It my seem a little bit unfair for some person. :?

Robinson wrote:Um I definitely had the same test as luuma. It had a sequencing, something, movie, and lecture series games in the second series, and I had a game with red, white and green balls in the first which I think was the experimental section. He/she is not mistaken about their exam. Also, I am new, made this account to post this.

luuma

Postby luuma » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Robinson wrote:Um I definitely had the same test as luuma. It had a sequencing, something, movie, and lecture series games in the second series, and I had a game with red, white and green balls in the first which I think was the experimental section. He/she is not mistaken about their exam. Also, I am new, made this account to post this.

Where was your Wed/Fri game? 1 or 2?

therealharveyspector

Postby therealharveyspector » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:57 pm

does anybody here remember the rules for any of the four game passages??? If you do could possibly PM me?? Thanks so much!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”