February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!)

How do you think you scored?

Below a 160
24%
161-162
6%
163-164
10%
165-166
9%
167-168
9%
169-170
6%
171-172
13%
173-174
8%
175-176
3%
177+
11%

Total votes: 173

unitball

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!)

Postby unitball » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:37 am

nkp007 wrote:Scores are out!

http://espn.go.com/nba/scoreboard

negged.

pancakelover

Postby pancakelover » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:41 am

ampersand5 wrote:No. The book does a poor job of conveying anything. It is completely onesided, shows very poor scholarship and distorts history. I don't want to make any assumptions about how much you follow Walt and Mersheimer, but go read their interviews and articles outside the book and see how they write, I think you would be shocked. It is almost on par with Normal Finklestein hogwash.

There are many authors/books who I disagree with or happen to not like what they write, but I won't say anything bad about them or their work. There is a big difference between a guy like Benny Morris (who I would recommend even though I disagree with much of his work) and the others mentioned.

Fair enough, although I still enjoyed the read.

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:43 am

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
Kit Cloudkicker wrote:
anteater1 wrote:I think this thread hits 150 before scores.

Is it weird that I want to punch your avatar in the face? Not because of anything you’ve said… I think his expression just annoys me.

Watch The Inbetweeners, I beg of you.

My favorite comedy series of all time.

I think I caught an episode at the hotel when I was in London last year. This and Geordie Shore.

Worth another watch if you find the time. I'm from CA but I caught one episode when I was in England and subsequently watched every other episode.

crede

Postby crede » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:48 am

I like the part where Chomsky confidently states that the USA and Israel are against a 2-state solution...[/quote]

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but this is pretty uncontroversial. 130 countries support Palestinian statehood and representation in the UN; the USA isn't one of them.

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:50 am

pancakelover wrote:
ampersand5 wrote:No. The book does a poor job of conveying anything. It is completely onesided, shows very poor scholarship and distorts history. I don't want to make any assumptions about how much you follow Walt and Mersheimer, but go read their interviews and articles outside the book and see how they write, I think you would be shocked. It is almost on par with Normal Finklestein hogwash.

There are many authors/books who I disagree with or happen to not like what they write, but I won't say anything bad about them or their work. There is a big difference between a guy like Benny Morris (who I would recommend even though I disagree with much of his work) and the others mentioned.

Fair enough, although I still enjoyed the read.

I wasn't trying to be disingenuous, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was just stating how it definitely is not a good introduction (or even that relevant) to the Israeli-arab conflict and that it should be taken with a grain of salt.

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:51 am

crede wrote:I like the part where Chomsky confidently states that the USA and Israel are against a 2-state solution...

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but this is pretty uncontroversial. 130 countries support Palestinian statehood and representation in the UN; the USA isn't one of them.[/quote]

if you want to actually learn about these issues, I would be happy to educate you. Unfortunately, these things are not as simple as you make them seem and actually have a lot more to them than what you currently suggest you know.

jigglebottom

Postby jigglebottom » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:52 am

ampersand5 wrote:
No. The book does a poor job of conveying anything. It is completely onesided, shows very poor scholarship and distorts history. I don't want to make any assumptions about how much you follow Walt and Mersheimer, but go read their interviews and articles outside the book and see how they write, I think you would be shocked. It is almost on par with Normal Finklestein hogwash.

For those interested, Ampersand5 just recommended Benny Morris. The Following is a quote from Morris so you can all get a sense of his sympathies. "If the end of the story turns out to be gloomy for the Jews, it will be because Ben Gurion did not complete the transfer in 1948. Because he left a large and volatile demographic reserve in the West Bank and Gaza and within Israel itself" "If he was already engaged in expulsion, maybe he should have done a complete job."

hint: "transfer" is academy-speak for ethnic cleanse.

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:58 am

For those interested, Ampersand5 just recommended Benny Morris. The Following is a quote from Morris so you can all get a sense of his sympathies. "If the end of the story turns out to be gloomy for the Jews, it will be because Ben Gurion did not complete the transfer in 1948. Because he left a large and volatile demographic reserve in the West Bank and Gaza and within Israel itself" "If he was already engaged in expulsion, maybe he should have done a complete job."

hint: "transfer" is academy-speak for ethnic cleanse.[/quote]

I can't tell if I am being trolled right now or Mr. Said over here is really that dense. I just explained the difference between advocating something because one agrees with it, or because it represents good scholarship. Benny Morris represents great scholarship and is a (probably THE) trusted source on the matter (much more so than anybody Mr Said will recommend). What makes this even more peculiar is that I stated I even disagreed with his opinions.

I guess you are just following in the footsteps of your faux-academic heros by taking quotes out of context to illustrate a fallacious point.

Fyo'Couch

Postby Fyo'Couch » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:58 am

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but this is pretty uncontroversial. 130 countries support Palestinian statehood and representation in the UN; the USA isn't one of them.

Do you understand the difference between supporting self-determination generally and supporting a regime recognized by the UN as a terrorist organization?
Last edited by Fyo'Couch on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

crede

Postby crede » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:04 am

ampersand5 wrote:
crede wrote:I like the part where Chomsky confidently states that the USA and Israel are against a 2-state solution...

if you want to actually learn about these issues, I would be happy to educate you. Unfortunately, these things are not as simple as you make them seem and actually have a lot more to them than what you currently suggest you know.[/quote]

As I make them seem? I'm sorry, I don't believe I've asserted anything other than the plain fact above. You, on the other hand, have contributed nothing more than an ad hominem attack on Chomsky and a condescending slight on my supposed lack of knowledge on this issue. So, I humbly decline your disingenuous offer to "educate" me, thanks.

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:09 am

im sorry if you feel that way but your quoted post demonstrates minimal understanding of the situation at hand. In response to your criticism: I am the one who started this discussion, I did not make an ad hominem attack on Chomsky although I do apologize if I came off as condescending.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:09 am

Wizards lose again lol. Big surprise

Fyo'Couch

Postby Fyo'Couch » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:10 am

noleknight16 wrote:

The Whiz need a shake-up.....I think Gilbert Arenas is available.

jigglebottom

Postby jigglebottom » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:12 am

yes.. the fallacious point that benny morris said Ben Gurion "maybe" would have been better off if he had "done a complete job" My last post did not deny his "great scholarship" I was merely giving some context rather than simply writing something off as being a big "no-no" to those who follow the middle east.

Kit Cloudkicker

Postby Kit Cloudkicker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:13 am

Fyo'Couch wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:

NBA Finals.... KD/Westbrook vs. Lebron/D-Wade

Fyo'Couch

Postby Fyo'Couch » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:14 am

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:
Fyo'Couch wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:

No love for the big Bosh man and Serge I-block-a?

crede

Postby crede » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:15 am

Fyo'Couch wrote:

Do you understand the difference between supporting self-determination generally and a supporting a regime recognized by the UN as a terrorist organization?

Yes. Do you understand how labeling an organization as "terrorist" may also be a convenient way to justify forced displacement of peoples? I'm for a two-state solution; the middle east conflict is not a zero sum game as it's often construed. But the "terrorist" argument doesn't really work here. Until 2008 the United States designated Nelson Mandela as a terrorist, after all.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:16 am

Fyo'Couch wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:

-__________-

Kit Cloudkicker

Postby Kit Cloudkicker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:17 am

Fyo'Couch wrote:

No love for the big Bosh man and Serge I-block-a?

Perkins & Chalmers. :)

crede

Postby crede » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:18 am

ampersand5 wrote:im sorry if you feel that way but your quoted post demonstrates minimal understanding of the situation at hand. In response to your criticism: I am the one who started this discussion, I did not make an ad hominem attack on Chomsky although I do apologize if I came off as condescending.

No worries. I posted the article because I actually happened to be reading it at the time I saw this discussion start up. I'm not a blind Chomsky devotee, although I do believe he should be taken seriously as one angle on this complex issue.

jigglebottom

Postby jigglebottom » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

crede wrote:
ampersand5 wrote:im sorry if you feel that way but your quoted post demonstrates minimal understanding of the situation at hand. In response to your criticism: I am the one who started this discussion, I did not make an ad hominem attack on Chomsky although I do apologize if I came off as condescending.

No worries. I posted the article because I actually happened to be reading it at the time I saw this discussion start up. I'm not a blind Chomsky devotee, although I do believe he should be taken seriously as one angle on this complex issue.

i kinda want ampersand5 to retract his attack on Said.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:27 am

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:

I would watch the shit out of that.

Fyo'Couch

Postby Fyo'Couch » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:29 am

crede wrote:
Fyo'Couch wrote:

Do you understand the difference between supporting self-determination generally and a supporting a regime recognized by the UN as a terrorist organization?

Yes. Do you understand how labeling an organization as "terrorist" may also be a convenient way to justify forced displacement of peoples? I'm for a two-state solution; the middle east conflict is not a zero sum game as it's often construed. But the "terrorist" argument doesn't really work here. Until 2008 the United States designated Nelson Mandela as a terrorist, after all.

The last part sounds like a flaw in the reasoning question (are we still talking about the LSAT?). While I'm all for conspiracy theories that show Israel to be intentionally undermining their national security, I am particularly amused by people who suggest that Hamas is not a terrorist organization. I implore you take your girlfriend on an all inclusive vacation to Al-Bustan resort in Gaza and tell me about the bevy of rights and freedoms you enjoy on your stay there.

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:35 am

Fyo'Couch wrote:
crede wrote:
Fyo'Couch wrote:

The last part sounds like a flaw in the reasoning question (are we still talking about the LSAT?). While I'm all for conspiracy theories that show Israel to be intentionally undermining their national security, I am particularly amused by people who suggest that Hamas is not a terrorist organization. I implore you take your girlfriend on an all inclusive vacation to Al-Bustan resort in Gaza and tell me about the bevy of rights and freedoms you enjoy on your stay there.

How long until it is burnt down ala the Gaza Crazy Water Park?

Fyo'Couch

Postby Fyo'Couch » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:36 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
Kit Cloudkicker wrote:

I would watch the shit out of that.

This is no season for old men.

I think I should copyright that and sell it to David Stern as the official slogan of this season. Would the movie have likeness rights?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”