February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!)

How do you think you scored?

Below a 160
24%
161-162
6%
163-164
10%
165-166
9%
167-168
9%
169-170
6%
171-172
13%
173-174
8%
175-176
3%
177+
11%

Total votes: 173

hotspur

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!)

Postby hotspur » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:05 pm

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
Second, atheist wins because, let's face it, if you're an adult who still believes in a magical creature in the sky who grants you wishes and an entrance to a really fun carnival depending on whether you've been naughty or nice during your life time, there is something wrong with you.

lol never thought of it this way maybe if more people did they'd know that their religion is just wrong. i wish i coulda faced this earlier in my life when i was still trying to figure things out but now i'm smart enough to know that i've got the things figured out and theres nothing wrong with me anymore.

RodionRaskolnikov

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:06 pm

NEW TOPIC!

Sort of has to do with the gay marriage topic. sort of. There's a question on the LSAC account that asks for sexual preference - whether you're gay/lesbian. Gays and lesbians receive an advantage sort of like, but not as much, as minorities because they're different. Is it fair to ask this question so bluntly? Suppose that you're gay/lesbian but you're not out, you certainly wouldn't put down "yes" and out yourself to an advisor who has a connection to your app, or to anyone who sees your app. And, couldn't anyone put down "yes" just to get the advantage. I can put it down and get the advantage in admissions and they would never know. How are they gonna check? Follow me around and see who I have sex with?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:15 pm

hotspur wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
Second, atheist wins because, let's face it, if you're an adult who still believes in a magical creature in the sky who grants you wishes and an entrance to a really fun carnival depending on whether you've been naughty or nice during your life time, there is something wrong with you.

lol never thought of it this way maybe if more people did they'd know that their religion is just wrong. i wish i coulda faced this earlier in my life when i was still trying to figure things out but now i'm smart enough to know that i've got the things figured out and theres nothing wrong with me anymore.

That's the type of description of religion that makes me hate atheists. Not that I believe in God or anything, but such a simplistic, derisive, self-righteous diatribe is just as narrow-minded as the religious people who bash gays and shit.

hotspur

Postby hotspur » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:16 pm

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:NEW TOPIC!

Sort of has to do with the gay marriage topic. sort of. There's a question on the LSAC account that asks for sexual preference - whether you're gay/lesbian. Gays and lesbians receive an advantage sort of like, but not as much, as minorities because they're different. Is it fair to ask this question so bluntly? Suppose that you're gay/lesbian but you're not out, you certainly wouldn't put down "yes" and out yourself to an advisor who has a connection to your app, or to anyone who sees your app. And, couldn't anyone put down "yes" just to get the advantage. I can put it down and get the advantage in admissions and they would never know. How are they gonna check? Follow me around and see who I have sex with?

smh

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:20 pm

rewlor wrote:I have no problem with religious people and "believers", I have a problem with them applying their moral structure onto me, and then claiming they are the persecuted ones...

RodionRaskolnikov wrote: if you're an adult who still believes in a magical creature in the sky who grants you wishes and an entrance to a really fun carnival depending on whether you've been naughty or nice during your life time, there is something wrong with you.

hotspur

Postby hotspur » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:21 pm

have you guys seen the movie drive?

jigglebottom

Postby jigglebottom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:24 pm

hotspur wrote:have you guys seen the movie drive?

i thought it was shit

hotspur

Postby hotspur » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:27 pm

jigglebottom wrote:

i thought it was shit

i was really surprised. it was a very effective mix of artsy and action packed violence

RodionRaskolnikov

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:27 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
hotspur wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:

That's the type of description of religion that makes me hate atheists. Not that I believe in God or anything, but such a simplistic, derisive, self-righteous diatribe is just as narrow-minded as the religious people who bash gays and shit.

Suppose that a child was running to touch the hot stove thinking that it was a good thing to do. But, this time, instead of only the child being burned, all of society is burned. The child not only runs toward the hot stove but lures other children to run toward it and touch it. You, seeing that it is not good to touch the hot stove, try to stop them, but they're so stubborn and unwilling to listen to reason that they overpower you and touch the stove. Once burned, they cry and then, instead of saying that it wasn't a good thing to touch the stove, they conclude that they were burned because they didn't touch the stove enough and that not enough people touched it. Do, perpetually, they get burned, lure more people, burn, strengthen their belief in touching the stove, burn, lure more people, burn, etc. You're such a good person that you cannot stand there and watch them not only burn themselves but burn others by touching the stove. So you try, over and over, to tell them what they're doing but they reject everything you say and continue to avoid reason and keep being stubborn. After a while, you just stop giving a shit. Why should you care that they're doing that to themselves. You're angry that their touching of the stove burns you too since you're part of society but you have to take it since they're so stubborn and unreasonable.

For me, it's the same for religious people. Studies show that it's the poor and uneducated who are the most religious and religion has, and still does, lead people to do horrible things. Without religion, there's no question we would have by now been much more advanced. But, no! I can't convince religious people of what they're doing. So why should I care? Go ahead touch the stove! Go ahead and believe in an invisible creature in the sky! I'll just go ahead and keep it real! I'm not gonna sugarcoat your touching of the stove. Not gonna say you're playing handsies with it! Not gonna say you're cold and looking to heat up! No! You're touching a fucking stove! Yes, it's THAT stupid! You're believing in an invisible creature in the sky who grants...! Yes, it's THAT stupid!

jigglebottom

Postby jigglebottom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:31 pm

hotspur wrote:
jigglebottom wrote:

i thought it was shit

i was really surprised. it was a very effective mix of artsy and action packed violence

i think it was trying to fill a niche that hadn't been explore just for the sake of exploring a niche that hadn't been explored.. namely the artsy-action combine. I may need to watch it again.

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:33 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:I still want to know who said they got a 177+

1000 bit coins says it was anteater1.

:lol: not I.

I voted 171.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:34 pm

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:Suppose that a child was running to touch the hot stove thinking that it was a good thing to do. But, this time, instead of only the child being burned, all of society is burned. The child not only runs toward the hot stove but lures other children to run toward it and touch it. You, seeing that it is not good to touch the hot stove, try to stop them, but they're so stubborn and unwilling to listen to reason that they overpower you and touch the stove. Once burned, they cry and then, instead of saying that it wasn't a good thing to touch the stove, they conclude that they were burned because they didn't touch the stove enough and that not enough people touched it. Do, perpetually, they get burned, lure more people, burn, strengthen their belief in touching the stove, burn, lure more people, burn, etc. You're such a good person that you cannot stand there and watch them not only burn themselves but burn others by touching the stove. So you try, over and over, to tell them what they're doing but they reject everything you say and continue to avoid reason and keep being stubborn. After a while, you just stop giving a shit. Why should you care that they're doing that to themselves. You're angry that their touching of the stove burns you too since you're part of society but you have to take it since they're so stubborn and unreasonable.

For me, it's the same for religious people. Studies show that it's the poor and uneducated who are the most religious and religion has, and still does, lead people to do horrible things. Without religion, there's no question we would have by now been much more advanced. But, no! I can't convince religious people of what they're doing. So why should I care? Go ahead touch the stove! Go ahead and believe in an invisible creature in the sky! I'll just go ahead and keep it real! I'm not gonna sugarcoat your touching of the stove. Not gonna say you're playing handsies with it! Not gonna say you're cold and looking to heat up! No! You're touching a fucking stove! Yes, it's THAT stupid! You're believing in an invisible creature in the sky who grants...! Yes, it's THAT stupid!

Meh, I totally agree with you in principle I just hate the approach. Totally agree that religion has held us back, particularly scientifically and socially, but at the same time I think that is everyone's right to make a decision about religion and I should respect that in the same way that they should respect whatever choice I make. And I don't agree with you that religion is entirely bad. I think for a lot of people it can be a very valuable tool in living a good life and being charitable, etc.

I used to feel bitter like you do toward religion. Then I came to ND, where I am surrounded by 8000 brilliant kids and professors, most of whom are religious, and realized that it can't be all that awful of a thing for a person to have religion. It really does a lot of good at ND and I have seen a lot of religious people who I really admire.

On a scientific/ geopolitical level, though, religion has no fucking place to be in the discussion and really fucks shit up (see Israel/Palestine, stem-cell research, etc.)

hotspur

Postby hotspur » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:34 pm

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
hotspur wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:

Suppose that a child was running to touch the hot stove thinking that it was a good thing to do. But, this time, instead of only the child being burned, all of society is burned. The child not only runs toward the hot stove but lures other children to run toward it and touch it. You, seeing that it is not good to touch the hot stove, try to stop them, but they're so stubborn and unwilling to listen to reason that they overpower you and touch the stove. Once burned, they cry and then, instead of saying that it wasn't a good thing to touch the stove, they conclude that they were burned because they didn't touch the stove enough and that not enough people touched it. Do, perpetually, they get burned, lure more people, burn, strengthen their belief in touching the stove, burn, lure more people, burn, etc. You're such a good person that you cannot stand there and watch them not only burn themselves but burn others by touching the stove. So you try, over and over, to tell them what they're doing but they reject everything you say and continue to avoid reason and keep being stubborn. After a while, you just stop giving a shit. Why should you care that they're doing that to themselves. You're angry that their touching of the stove burns you too since you're part of society but you have to take it since they're so stubborn and unreasonable.

oh whoa i remember in my phil 101 class when we were talking about descartes and i realized for the first time that god is just us humans thinking about how smart we can get one day. but SOME PEOPLE can't get that smart and not only do they hold us all back because they are so DUMB but they create some invisible creature and say he's smarter than all us humans. but people WE can be that smart!!!!

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hotspur

Postby hotspur » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:38 pm

jigglebottom wrote:
hotspur wrote:
jigglebottom wrote:

i thought it was shit

i think it was trying to fill a niche that hadn't been explore just for the sake of exploring a niche that hadn't been explored.. namely the artsy-action combine. I may need to watch it again.

i can see that. I think i was in a decent mood when i watched it and really dug the aesthetics

RodionRaskolnikov

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:

I voted 171.

You may have voted 171, but you voted modestly.... Secretly you know 177 is in your deck of cards!; sadly, that isn't the case for me... I'd kill for a 171 though :D

He's from high income. His 177 is like a normal 170, and his 171 is like a normal 165. Just saying.

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:40 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:

I voted 171.

You may have voted 171, but you voted modestly.... Secretly you know 177 is in your deck of cards!; sadly, that isn't the case for me... I'd kill for a 171 though :D

Maybe we'll both hit 171 :wink:

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:42 pm

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
He's from high income. His 177 is like a normal 170, and his 171 is like a normal 165. Just saying.

You just assumed that, my single mother was a teacher with 3 kids. Not exactly rolling in $$$. And I'm sure you're well aware schools couldnt care less about how much your parents make.

RodionRaskolnikov

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 pm

anteater1 wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:

You just assumed that, my single mother was a teacher with 3 kids. Not exactly rolling in $$$. And I'm sure you're well aware schools couldnt care less about how much your parents make.

You said you play poker and in one year you make enough to pay for a year of law school. And reality isn't based on what law schools care. Not saying your score isn't bad. Congrats! I'm proud of you! But to have a 180 when your parents are doctors and lawyers (not talkin about you, just general) isn't as good as a 16X from a homeless person.

It's like you're in a race. But, before the race starts, someone runs out and kicks you in your crotch twice... while you're on the ground crying, the other guy starts sprinting the 50 yards.. Now pretend that there was another guy who was lucky enough to start the race a foot away from the finish line. No crap the guy a foot away is going to win first and the guy who wasn't kicked will be second. That isn't impressive. But it is impressive if the guy who was kicked twice comes close to getting second, or gets second, or gets close to winning first!

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:51 pm

What's your SES, RR?

RodionRaskolnikov

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:55 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:What's your SES, RR?

ses? what's my weed?

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:55 pm

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:

ses? what's my weed?

Haha socioeconomic status, sorry

RodionRaskolnikov

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:58 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:

ses? what's my weed?

Haha socioeconomic status, sorry

lol I guess middle class moving up.. started fairly low. What's yours?

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:00 pm

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:

You said you play poker and in one year you make enough to pay for a year of law school. And reality isn't based on what law schools care. Not saying your score isn't bad. Congrats! I'm proud of you! But to have a 180 when your parents are doctors and lawyers (not talkin about you, just general) isn't as good as a 16X from a homeless person.

It's like you're in a race. But, before the race starts, someone runs out and kicks you in your crotch twice... while you're on the ground crying, the other guy starts sprinting the 50 yards.. Now pretend that there was another guy who was lucky enough to start the race a foot away from the finish line. No crap the guy a foot away is going to win first and the guy who wasn't kicked will be second. That isn't impressive. But it is impressive if the guy who was kicked twice comes close to getting second, or gets second, or gets close to winning first!

That's just not true. Ask everyone in these forums. Personal statements are virtually insignificant compared to LSAT score. If you think a homeless guy with a 160 is getting into HYS over a guy with a 180 you're simply wrong.

And my income from Poker isn't going to affect my cycle whatsoever, I havent played in two years and have a teaching job.
Last edited by anteater1 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”