February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!)

How do you think you scored?

Below a 160
24%
161-162
6%
163-164
10%
165-166
9%
167-168
9%
169-170
6%
171-172
13%
173-174
8%
175-176
3%
177+
11%

Total votes: 173

wakka!

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!)

Postby wakka! » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:22 pm

I mean if you guys actually want to see god, I can show him to you. Come over my place and take 7 grams of psilocybin mushrooms with me, and you can experience him.

wakka!

Postby wakka! » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Or it, or they, or zeus, or whatever you want to call it.

rewlor

Postby rewlor » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:26 pm

hotspur wrote:
wakka! wrote:
hotspur wrote:I don't think an atheism debate is possible on this thread.

Nonetheless, it seems ridiculous to deny the existence of a supreme being when that supreme being has proven value throughout the course of human history.

What do you mean "proven value" ?

Historical and social impact I guess.

I have no problem with religious people and "believers", I have a problem with them applying their moral structure onto me, and then claiming they are the persecuted ones...

Christ this forum is just a subset of redditors isn't it...

hotspur

Postby hotspur » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:27 pm

wakka! wrote:I mean if you guys actually want to see god, I can show him to you. Come over my place and take 7 grams of psilocybin mushrooms with me, and you can experience him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stxmzi226LY

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:28 pm

rewlor wrote:
I have no problem with religious people and "believers", I have a problem with them applying their moral structure onto me, and then claiming they are the persecuted ones...

Fuck Reddit atheism. Most annoying group of people in the world. They have turned me against atheists.

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:28 pm

Nothing is to say that science as we know it is not simply temporal.

Kit Cloudkicker

Postby Kit Cloudkicker » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:32 pm

rewlor wrote:

+1

I have a problem with religious constituents who elect religious delegates who subsequently support religious-based legislation; illogical legislation in which the only justification offered is “because the bible says so.”

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:34 pm

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:
rewlor wrote:

+1

I have a problem with religious constituents who elect religious delegates who subsequently support religious-based legislation; illogical legislation in which the only justification offered is “because the bible says so.”

Because this somehow differs from someone using a non-religious ideology to inform their decisions? Give me a break.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:34 pm

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:
rewlor wrote:

+1

So... Santorum 2012 yeah?

Skunky Bumps

Postby Skunky Bumps » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:39 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
rewlor wrote:

Fuck Reddit atheism. Most annoying group of people in the world. They have turned me against atheists.

This is a pretty good analysis of /r/atheism I read earlier today.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TheoryOfReddit/comments/qftng/whats_happening_over_at_ratheism/c3x9pto

Kit Cloudkicker

Postby Kit Cloudkicker » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:40 pm

FinallyGoing wrote:
Kit Cloudkicker wrote:
rewlor wrote:

+1

Because this somehow differs from someone using a non-religious ideology to inform their decisions? Give me a break.

Really??? For example: Gay Marriage.

Logical – Science has proven that being gay is not a choice. People are born that way. No different from race. No different from gender. Therefore they shouldn’t be denied that same rights as everyone else.

Illogical – Gay marriage should be banned, because the bible says, “it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.”

So…. You, FinallyGoing, give me a break. It’s not ideology, it’s science. It’s common sense.

hotspur

Postby hotspur » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:42 pm

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:
FinallyGoing wrote:
Kit Cloudkicker wrote:
rewlor wrote:

+1

Logical – Science has proven that being gay is not a choice. People are born that way. No different from race. No different from gender. Therefore they shouldn’t be denied that same rights as everyone else.

Illogical – Gay marriage should be banned, because the bible says, “it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.”

So…. You, FinallyGoing, give me a break. It’s not ideology, it’s science. It’s common sense.

Dude terrible example. Evolution makes the logical part of that VERY problematic. Also, the Bible says "judge not lest ye be judged". Maybe we should let them do their thing and not worry about it...

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm atheist. See no reason to believe in any of the religions on Earth. At best there's a non-intervening Creator but that's it.

The God of the Bible is so incredibly man-made it's not even funny.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:
FinallyGoing wrote:
Kit Cloudkicker wrote:
rewlor wrote:

+1

Dude I 1000X agree with you on everything you're saying, just I'm not sure that science has actually proven that yet. But yeah, there are dozens of other examples where new discoveries have made certain stances no longer just opinions, and there are actual facts of the matter that you have to ignore reason to side with the church.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:45 pm

The earth was made in 7 days, amirite?

wakka!

Postby wakka! » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:49 pm

How about abortion? Can we agree that should be legal.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Betharl wrote:The earth was made in 7 days, amirite?

You can be religious and not believe that. Read a little about Pope Pius XII. Since 1900ish the church has been saying that the bible shouldn't be read as a literal text, it's an amalgamation of different types of stories including myth. When it comes down to it now, a lot of everyday people in America are more extreme in their relgious beliefs than even the Church was 100 years ago.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:50 pm

wakka! wrote:How about abortion? Can we agree that should be legal.

We don't really know when life begins. That's my only issue with it.

LSATDecimator

Postby LSATDecimator » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:50 pm

And a day with God is like a thousand years.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:51 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:

You can be religious and not believe that. Read a little about Pope Pius XII. Since 1900ish the church has been saying that the bible shouldn't be read as a literal text, it's an amalgamation of different types of stories including myth. When it comes down to it now, a lot of everyday people in America are more extreme in their relgious beliefs than even the Church was 100 years ago.

You mean since science started disproving the garbage as myth they fell back to the "allegory/metaphorical" argument. :roll:

Kit Cloudkicker

Postby Kit Cloudkicker » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:51 pm

Lol

wakka!

Postby wakka! » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:52 pm

noleknight16 wrote:

I mean the way it is now is fine I think. Like anytime during the first 3 months.
I'd say life begins when you can survive on your own without a host; up until they you're just a parasite. But to play it safe, I think 3/4 months is a good threshold amount of time to kill the unborn baby.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:52 pm

wakka! wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:

I mean the way it is now is fine I think. Like anytime during the first 3 months.
I'd say life begins when you can survive on your own without a host; up until they you're just a parasite. But to play it safe, I think 3/4 months is a good threshold amount of time to kill the unborn baby.

I'm a heatbeat person myself. That's not very much time, but the independent flowing of blood tells me life.

Nobody really knows though.

Fad

Postby Fad » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:54 pm

wakka! wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:

Parasites are not living things? Good to know.

I learn so much from these forums.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:54 pm

Yeah, I mean, that's not a polarizing issue, I think we can probably reach a quick agreement on that.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”