February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!)

How do you think you scored?

Below a 160
42
24%
161-162
11
6%
163-164
18
10%
165-166
15
9%
167-168
16
9%
169-170
10
6%
171-172
22
13%
173-174
14
8%
175-176
6
3%
177+
19
11%
 
Total votes: 173

User avatar
hotspur
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby hotspur » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:27 pm

I did not read that post because NO ONE CARES ABOUT MENSA.

User avatar
anteater1
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby anteater1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Betharl wrote:
FinallyGoing wrote:But that still glosses over the main point here which your contention that "Mensa is mainly about bragging about a standardized test score..." Your position is still inherently false. Your argument has shifted to one now of "well it doesn't matter that I am wrong because a lot pf people are wrong with me." O.K. I see your point; however I find it troubling that in the face of the truth you are still holding tightly onto your false perceptions. That is just strange.


Assuming we are arguing about the same thing here, my conclusion has not shifted, my reasoning has. I thought we were arguing about whether Mensa should be included on a resume. Yes, I originally said Mensa should not be included because Mensa is douchey. You then told me Mensa was involved in other stuff other than bragging about test scores; to which I essentially replied, whatever, still shouldn’t be on a resume because some people have that misperception/it does not add anything, blah blah blah. My support/reasoning has changed, but my contention is and always has been that Mensa should not go on a resume.

FinallyGoing wrote:I don't see any reason to think that just because they know of Mensa, they are versed in Mensa's eligibility requirements, especially
as they pertain to non IQ tests. Nor do I believe they would have "the same negative view [you] have." Dude, where do you get this shit from? Contention (no warrant) Contention (no warrant) Contention (no warrant) (not even a dab of clear reasoning).


I was trying to lay out certain reasonably possible scenarios. I was speaking hypothetically, and no, I don't have any way to prove any of those scenarios would actually play out and I can't accurately pin down with what probability each/any of those scenarios would occur. I was trying to get at the point that different people will react to Mensa on a resume differently, and I see more ways for that to go poorly than I see ways for it to go positively.

In getting at some of your other points:
-I have not said that Mensa would be an auto-ding, merely that it adds little, if anything, and could potentially harm you. The cost benefit analysis doesn’t support putting Mensa on a resume.
-I have limited WE, but for my internship after junior year of UG and my job after UG, Mensa eligibility was assumed (both explicitly asked for test scores). I can’t speculate what they would have thought if I had included it on my resume, but I don’t see how it would have helped me. For the job after UG, I had to do about ten 30 minute interviews with different people; if just one interviewr thought I was a douche I could have been in trouble.
-Once again, not auto-ding, but if you give an interviewer any other reason to think you might be pretentious/douchey, it could be fuel for the fire if the interviewer already thinks poorly of Mensa, which you admitted is not uncommon.

Really, this is not a big deal. I am sure the net impact of having Mensa on a resume is very small, I just also happen to think that net impact is probably negative. If you do want it on your resume, I would advise you participate with a local chapter and do something, in which case, I’m sure it would be a fine addition.

For those of you who did not read this post, please let me know.


Image

User avatar
941law
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:21 am

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby 941law » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:29 pm

maxmartin wrote:There has never been a Saturday release, except one year was affected by snowstorm the LSAC east coast office was closed on Friday and reopened on Saturday instead. You expect LSAC work for you on Saturday???

941law wrote:not sure how you guys can say 85% for Monday. Whens the last time it took them 23 days in Feb.? I'd say Friday: 25% Sat: 40% Sun: 5% Mon: 35%


damn, I thought I read Sat. wasn't uncommon. Oh well. I'll say 45% Fri, 55% Mon. if you're right.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:30 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FinallyGoing
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby FinallyGoing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:38 pm

Betharl wrote:Having Mensa on your resume shows me you sought out and paid to join an organization that exists solely to recognize and celebrate the accomplishment of having scored well on some random standardized test.



Betharl wrote:[M]y conclusion has not shifted, my reasoning has... Yes, I originally said Mensa should not be included because Mensa is douchey. You then told me Mensa was involved in other stuff other than bragging about test scores; to which I essentially replied, whatever ...it does not add anything, blah blah blah. My support/reasoning has changed, but my contention is and always has been that Mensa should not go on a resume.



How ironic that we are having this discussion in the LSAT forum....Betharl, are you familiar with subordinate conclusions?

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:39 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
anteater1
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby anteater1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:40 pm

FinallyGoing wrote:
Betharl wrote:Having Mensa on your resume shows me you sought out and paid to join an organization that exists solely to recognize and celebrate the accomplishment of having scored well on some random standardized test.



Betharl wrote:[M]y conclusion has not shifted, my reasoning has... Yes, I originally said Mensa should not be included because Mensa is douchey. You then told me Mensa was involved in other stuff other than bragging about test scores; to which I essentially replied, whatever ...it does not add anything, blah blah blah. My support/reasoning has changed, but my contention is and always has been that Mensa should not go on a resume.



How ironic that we are having this discussion in the LSAT forum....Betharl, are you familiar with subordinate conclusions?


Image

User avatar
anteater1
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby anteater1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Jsa725 it's clearly our jobs to badger them with memes and gifs until the discussion ceases to exist.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:42 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
beebela
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby beebela » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:43 pm

Image

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby noleknight16 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:43 pm

anteater1 wrote:Jsa725 it's clearly our jobs to badger them with memes and gifs until the discussion ceases to exist.


Indeed, indeed.

Image

FinallyGoing
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby FinallyGoing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:44 pm

Jsa725 wrote:Image


Image

:)

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby noleknight16 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Image

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:45 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FinallyGoing
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby FinallyGoing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:49 pm

noleknight16 wrote:Image

Image

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby noleknight16 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Image

User avatar
anteater1
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby anteater1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:53 pm

what does soccer have to do with anything?

User avatar
hotspur
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby hotspur » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:53 pm

anteater1 wrote:what does soccer have to do with anything?


And whattsa ****?

User avatar
kerflux
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby kerflux » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:57 pm

FinallyGoing wrote:
kerflux wrote:Mensa just seems like a huge circle-jerk for people who, on average, probably aren't so smart that they need their own organization


Don't worry the CSU system rarely churns out a member ;)


No need to get defensive over this, smarty pants! Call me weird, but I'm just not that hard up to join a club to prove that I'm -probably- slightly smarter than the average person

Betharl
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Betharl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:59 pm

FinallyGoing wrote:
Betharl wrote:Having Mensa on your resume shows me you sought out and paid to join an organization that exists solely to recognize and celebrate the accomplishment of having scored well on some random standardized test.



Betharl wrote:[M]y conclusion has not shifted, my reasoning has... Yes, I originally said Mensa should not be included because Mensa is douchey. You then told me Mensa was involved in other stuff other than bragging about test scores; to which I essentially replied, whatever ...it does not add anything, blah blah blah. My support/reasoning has changed, but my contention is and always has been that Mensa should not go on a resume.



How ironic that we are having this discussion in the LSAT forum....Betharl, are you familiar with subordinate conclusions?


"Exists solely" was a poor choice of words. Very few things exist for a singular purpose. "Exists mainly" would have been better. Still, I feel like we are arguing semantics here when you very well know my main conclusion all along has been that Mensa does not belong on a resume, regardless of how I arrived at that conclusion and whether my support (premises, counter-premises, subordinate conclusion, whatever vocab words you want to use) has changed over time. Besides, I thought I already admitted I had backed off that point, even if I did not concede it entirely.

Edit: Or are you trying to say that because you proved one of my subordinate conclusions may be wrong my main conclusion must be wrong?

User avatar
hotspur
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby hotspur » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:02 pm

kerflux wrote:
FinallyGoing wrote:
kerflux wrote:Mensa just seems like a huge circle-jerk for people who, on average, probably aren't so smart that they need their own organization


Don't worry the CSU system rarely churns out a member ;)


No need to get defensive over this, smarty pants! Call me weird, but I'm just not that hard up to join a club to prove that I'm -probably- slightly smarter than the average person


But how are you ever gonna prove you're the coolest?
Last edited by hotspur on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:02 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FinallyGoing
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby FinallyGoing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:02 pm

kerflux wrote:
FinallyGoing wrote:
kerflux wrote:Mensa just seems like a huge circle-jerk for people who, on average, probably aren't so smart that they need their own organization


Don't worry the CSU system rarely churns out a member ;)


No need to get defensive over this, smarty pants! Call me weird, but I'm just not that hard up to join a club to prove that I'm -probably- slightly smarter than the average person


Not being defensive...if you aren't able to constructively participate in a discussion about something, whether it be due to deficiencies in your mental faculties or simply your lack of desire...I get that...I just think you reach the pinnacle of douchebaggery when you bitch about ppl talking about something...only to then start chiming in in a snide way.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
PrincetonBound
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby PrincetonBound » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:04 pm

--ImageRemoved--

FinallyGoing
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby FinallyGoing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:07 pm

hotspur wrote:
kerflux wrote:
FinallyGoing wrote:
kerflux wrote:Mensa just seems like a huge circle-jerk for people who, on average, probably aren't so smart that they need their own organization


Don't worry the CSU system rarely churns out a member ;)


No need to get defensive over this, smarty pants! Call me weird, but I'm just not that hard up to join a club to prove that I'm -probably- slightly smarter than the average person


But how are you ever gonna prove you're the coolest?


ATL 0L

Image




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, dontsaywhatyoumean, Instrumental, PRinNYC, proteinshake and 14 guests